Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Car is Making Clanking Noises

Old 03-02-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is Making Clanking Noises

first the smell, now clanking noises. please bear with me

i was out last night practicing some cornering at a recently discovered road that has an 'S' turn, ~100m straight followed by a fairly tight 90 degree corner. all conveniently located in a light industrial area

anyway, after about 7-8 runs, i was downshifting from 2nd to first (braking into a 90 degree corner) at ~45kph. i realized i missed the shift into first as i couldn't gear in due to the rev protector thing (didn't blip throttle hard enough). i re-blipped and noticed a strange clanking noise coming from the hood so i held the clutch down. with the clutch held down, the engine light came on (like when you stall the car) and engine just died. turned off the lights, and turned the engine back on. definitely noticed a rougher start. i began to drive the car slowly and now there is a muffled clanking noise that increases in frequency as my revs go up and vice versa. my car is still totally drivable, but that noise REALLY indicates that i should get it checked out.

i guesstimate that there is something wrong with the firing (i.e. distributor, spark plugs?) because it seems like the piston heads are hitting something? i might be completely wrong so i need some 'professional' advice from you guys

p.s. i never thought this to be a serious issue, but before this happened sometimes when my car is in neutral and i depress the clutch i feel a light rumble-like vibration for a second then it goes away. maybe this is related to what's happening?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:33 AM

Geez Fred, that sucks . Have you posted this on the "S2000 Talk" forum? You might get a few more answers there. Hope everything's OK with your baby.

How's your helmet?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 AM

before Marco jumps in i will say it for him

GAS CAP

but being serious, maybe you should have the experts (speedstar) take a look see. Hope its nothing bad like bent valves or misfiring in a cylinder.

Good luck with that bro. Best bet, bring it into Albert and William ASAP.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not good.........

sounds like a motor problem....are you sure you didn't downshift to first beyond redline when you "re-blipped"?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:48 AM

hope it's not a bent valve...

good luck dude...
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 AM

rob, my helmet is fine, just waiting to be used right now. yours is pimped out man, the colour-coordination is unparalleled

ean, i want to get an idea of what's wrong first since it maybe a warranty item. definitely though, i will consider speedstar if the problem is out of coverage
Old 03-02-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree.. not good at all...

this is why I shy away from the quick 2nd to 1st gear changing..

mis shift = valve issue from my experience

I would book an appointment with Mark in Service at Castle Honda unfortunately..(see if under warranty) he worked on a few owner's mis shift problem..
Old 03-02-2004, 08:55 AM

very sure because i didn't even release the clutch in first gear before hearing the noise...

Originally posted by PLYRS 3
not good.........

sounds like a motor problem....are you sure you didn't downshift to first beyond redline when you "re-blipped"?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have someone listen to your car.....

is the sound coming from the motor (hood up, rev the motor)??
Old 03-02-2004, 09:02 AM

If it's bent valves then the car should idle rough and maybe even stall. If it's a "clanking" noise from within the bottom of the engine then maybe a spun bearing?

Quick Reply: Car is Making Clanking Noises