Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Canada looses F1 race...

Old 08-11-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vince, back at ya... the sage continues

More from f1.racing-live.com

Legault confirms his position on Canadian GP
And shows the letter he received from FOM [11/08/03 - 16:28]

Last week Normand Legault, the general director of the Canadian Grand Prix, announced that the Canadian event will not return in 2004. Legault said in a press conference that he received a letter from Formula One Management saying that the decision has been made to remove the event from the F1 calendar. However, a few hours later Bernie Ecclestone reacted to the announcement : "I've no idea where this story came from - the calender for 2004 has not been put out yet or even considered. I don't know what's in my head at the moment." The confusion started to grow and Normand Legault did not appreciate that Ecclestone's comments discredited his announcement. To prove that what he said was not just a rumour but based on facts, Normand Legault disclosed a copy of the letter to Montreal's daily newspaper La Presse. In that letter, Michelle Drake, of Formula One Management, says to Legault: Mr. Ecclestone asked me to write you following your meeting with him at the Hockenheim Grand Prix last weekend. Like agreed during this meeting, we are writing to advise you that the Canadian Grand Prix will not be included in the FIA Formula One World Championship pending the outcome of various issues.

In the event that the Canadian Grand Prix is not included in the calendar for next year, the provisions of clause 26.2 of the promoters agreement will apply. By pending the outcome of various issues, it is not difficult to understand that the FOM is waiting for a modification or amendment to the Canadian law on tobacco advertising but Legault made it clear that his organisation will not try to negotiate with the government for a change : "I feel that was a very reasonable position on the Canadian government's part and I don't feel justified for us to ask the government to do more than that."