Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Canada looses F1 race...

Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. .been there and gold grandstands were okay.. But I never cared about the actual race, it was roaming the grid before the race was my highlight.. as well as the team trailers by the st. lawrence.. awesome sh1t..

maybe the people know F1 nowadays ?? but ally the years I've been.. they sure didn't know the likes of larini, alboreto, and drivers and F1 issues of the past..
Old 08-08-2003, 09:06 AM

Here's one of my better years at Montreal..

Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 AM

I go to the races for everything; the idea of going only to see the race is foreign to me. I have to be there for the full 3 to 5 days, or I'm not having fun. Paddock and garage passes are a big part of the fun, as well as hanging out late at night to see what teams are still hard at work, preparing for the next day. Believe me, you ain't talking to some virgin rookie here, I grew up around racing, my grandpa was part owner of a race team back in the late '40s and early 50s when the cars ran the original street course at Watkins Glen.

Here is a good map.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And one of his too heh
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 AM

Hey this is news.

See link http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/F1/2.../156490-cp.html
Old 08-08-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DoGMaN
Hey this is news.

See link http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/F1/2.../156490-cp.html
dude, you have WAYYYYYYYYY to much time on your hands......
Old 08-08-2003, 09:41 AM

Vince, :tiphatandbow: nice job buddy! Don't ya just love the media....
Old 08-09-2003, 04:28 AM

And the very next day on f1.racing-live.com we find the opposite.
So now it looks like Montreal may still have the race?????

More reaction to Canadian GP confusion
Organiser's comments on the latest charade [09/08/03 - 10:52]

Canadian GP - coming or going?
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has denied reports that the Canadian Grand Prix has been nudged off next season's world championship calendar. Reports Thursday suggested that Montreal would miss out as a venue in 2004 because of tough local laws on tobacco advertising.

The Canadian GP's race promoter Normand Legault said a letter from Ecclestone had confirmed the race had been axed as a result of theban on tobacco advertising, which is a major contributor to the sport's annual budget.

However 24 hours later Ecclestone insisted a decision on the make-up of next season's calendar had yet to be made. "I've no idea where this story came from - the calender for 2004 has not been put out yet or even considered," he told Sky Sports."I don't know what's in my head at the moment."

Legault on Thursday told a news conference: "This letter says that Canada's Grand Prix won't show up on the Formula One world championship 2004 calendar. "The decision was basically made in light of the October 1 application of Canada and Quebec's anti-tobacco legislation.

"I feel that was a very reasonable position on the Canadian government's part and I don't feel justified for us to ask the government to do more than that." And on Friday Eric Schifi, a spokesman for the organisers, was sticking by Legault's version of events. "I can confirm what Normand Legault announced yesterday in the press conference," Schifi told AFP. "I don't have any idea what's going on in London," he added.

The Montreal circuit, named after the late Ferrari ace Gilles Villeneuve, has been home to the event since 1977. And while Legault admits the decision will prove a blow to the city's tourist trade, he is hoping for the race's return in two years time. "There's an important economic impact," he said. "There will be an important negative impact on Montreal's tourism. "I'm not throwing in the towel right away. If there is not a race in 2004, maybe it'll be in 2005."

The June event attracts crowds of 300,000 to Montreal which in turn generates around 40 million dollars for the city.But a local government spokesman said the legislation would not be changed. "We recognise that there will be an important impact on Montreal's economy but we also have an obligation to protect the health of Canadians," said Farah Mohamed, a spokesman for Canadian health minister Anne McLellan. "We feel very strongly about our legislation."

News of Canada's demise came one week after the 2004 Belgium GP at Spa-Francorchamps was reinstated a year after it was stripped of its F1 status.
Spa was taken off the calendar after changes to tough laws on tobacco advertising similar to those in Canada were watered down to cater for sporting events like GPs.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/
Old 08-09-2003, 04:37 AM

But this is the best part-
2004 Belgium GP at Spa-Francorchamps was reinstated
a year after it was stripped of its F1 status.

To me, the most incredible corner, of all tracks, the one and only Eau Rouge!
I can't tell you how happy I am that the Spa track is back on the calendar, and trust me, I have loved and respected Eau Rouge long before Honda decided to name my color after this sacred track.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:03 AM

You haven't seen Eau Rouge until you've seen it in person.

It's freaking nuts. Much steeper than it appears in photos.

Quick Reply: Canada looses F1 race...