Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Canada looses F1 race...

Old 08-08-2003, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See link below for full story, looks like you guys might be joining me at Indy in 2004.

Normand Legault, director general of the Canadian Grand Prix, announced late on Thursday in a press conference that the Canadian Grand Prix will not be part of the 2004 Formula One Calendar.

Legault received a letter from the FOM (Formula One Management) indicating...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/
Old 08-08-2003, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the news on this last night, and they mentioned it at the Ferrari event to gasps.

ers
Old 08-08-2003, 07:05 AM

I am actually glad as I've been going to that race since the late 80's and have seen the organizers and thoe involved simply make a mess of things more and more each year.

The spectators had become completely CLOSED OFF from any driver interaction. The passages and routes into the island are poorly designed and cannot hold the capacity and people are "herded like cattle" They may have improved the circuit, but really did not do anything to facilitate getting to and from the circuit.

The extended grandstands established I found poor and extending those splinter wooden bleachers was stupid. Then they came out with metal ones, which again IMO does not suffice either, for the price you pay for tickets.

I hope that CART can take the circuit over and show Bernie and the likes of F1 what "holding a race" should be.

However, what I'll miss is the pre F1 parties in the city that grand prix weekend.

just my $.02

s2ksimon
Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shit happens....
Old 08-08-2003, 07:49 AM

Vince, TAMPX 26, Simon, you are all welcome to join me at Indy in 2004!

The date change for Indy now makes more sence, Indy will get what used to be the Canadian time or they will move to the last race of the season in October.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:02 AM

thanks for the offer , lemme think about it..
Old 08-08-2003, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shit, gotta drive all the way to indy now.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:19 AM

Indy is a great place for a race!

The grandstands and the viewing mounds offer some incredible views.

For a track designed for 500,000 spectators, at a mere 200,000 fans, it is still easy to move around and go places.

The whole city worships racing, and the town has come to really love and appreciate the Broccoli, Wine and Cheese crowd.

The first time you enter Indy, you know you have arrived at someplace special. Stepping into the stadium makes you feel so small, it is hard to describe the shear hugeness of the place.

I always camp, but I suspect some of you rich Torontonians could not come down to my level and have fun, so here is a pic of something you will never experience, unless you come to visit for a free cold beer.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:39 AM

IMPBO, Indy will become , if its not already.. what Montreal became .. loads of Nascar fans not knowing anything about F1..

I used to be a grandstand spectator, but those years of getting paddock access is the reason I cannot return to any regular seating..

once you go paddock , it's too hard to go back

for me anyways..
Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 AM

Paddock access and grandstand seating are as much alike as Spa and Berlina Simon. Unless you sit in one of the better grandstands, the only thing you would see is the cars flying straight by, lap after lap after lap - boring! You need to be in the grandstands down near turn one or at the other end of the straight, otherwise take a pillow because you will fall asleep!

And I totally disagree with you about the NASCAR fans. Sure there are plenty there, but by far the people who are there, are very into F1. On top of that, I suspect Indy gets the highest variety of other nationalities coming as spectators. I was amazed, where ever I was, there were people standing around talking in languages I did not know, and that is just NOT the norm for Indianapolis.

Quick Reply: Canada looses F1 race...