Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Button to Williams!

Old 08-05-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Button to Williams!

Oh my god! This came out of nowhere!!! What is BAR to do now????

Button
Old 08-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Jenson Butto is going to have a really bright future and is a really good young driver!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH MY FVCKING GOD !!!!

I'm in utter shock with his signing !!

wow !

I feel SOooooooooo sorry for David Richards who now has to try to find a driver that the team can follow. I think this is detrimental to BAR development

Jenson had really established a good working relationship with the engineers..

wow what a great driver lineup with Webber and Button.

I guess JV can go back to BAR
Old 08-06-2004, 03:34 AM

Whoa... hold your ponies, don't forget, this is the silly season...

[I][B]BAR statement on Jenson Button -
Old 08-06-2004, 04:50 AM

Either way, contract or not, Jenson is done with BAR. If you think JV was bad for team chemistry, how is it going to be if JB is forced to stay in BAR after announcing he wants to return to Williams?

JV might be volitile and a baby sometimes, but he wasn't a "traitor". JB gave no indication of wanting to leave or being approached. To paraphrase Varsha on Windtunnel, "it was such a secret, it was the Manhatten Project of F1." JB keeps on like he is with the team and building for the championship and then drops the bomb during the season.

Gotta hand it to Williams though. They go from no drivers to having a pretty good up and coming line up with JB and MW. All of sudden BAR has driver turmoil.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hapa,Aug 5 2004, 11:07 PM
Jenson Button is going to have a really bright future.
explain how?

honda's got the better car.....

putting a good driver in a crappy car will give you a crappy result.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:10 AM

This issue is not sorted out yet! Nobody knows where JB is going.
Today will be a busy day on the other side of the pond.

Statement from BAR Regarding Button Dispute

Friday August 6th, 2004

Following Williams's announcement yesterday that Jenson Button will return to the Grove-based outfit in 2005, BAR-Honda released a statement today, claiming Button is contractually bound to the team next season.

"We are absolutely astounded to hear that Jenson thinks that he is leaving BAR for Williams next season", said BAR Team Principal David Richards. "Neither myself, nor any other member of the BAR team, has been contacted by Jenson to discuss this matter.

"Jenson is under contract with BAR for 2005, since we took up an option on his services only last month. At no time during the last few months has Jenson expressed anything other than his desire to continue working with BAR to achieve our collective goal of winning the World Championship."

The statement further says Button joined BAR in 2003 from Renault and has seen his career transformed as a result. "During the four and a half seasons of his F1 career he has scored 106 points, of which 78 have been in the last year and a half with BAR. In 2004 Jenson took his first F1 podium and he is currently lying third in the drivers' championship," the statement continues.

"At the German Grand Prix, on July 23rd 2004, Honda confirmed their long-term commitment to BAR, announcing the extension of their existing contract to at least 2007, with an even greater commitment of engineering resources. Their track record of 11 F1 World Championships clearly places them in an outstanding position to provide the resources to take the team and Jenson to the very top."

Richards himself further commented: "It is our intention to enforce our current contractual position with Jenson. My duty is to the 400-strong workforce which has worked tirelessly over the past two seasons to give Jenson the car he has today; and to our partners, whose unfailing support and commitment to the team has contributed to the solid structure we now have in place.

"Unfortunately this is now a matter for the lawyers and I have every confidence that the legal process will confirm that yesterday's announcement has not only been premature but also invalid."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Richards Holds Crisis Meeting at BAR Factory

Friday August 6th, 2004

By Will Gray

BAR team principal David Richards has promised to challenge Jenson Button's move to Williams before gathering his team for a crisis meeting at their Brackley headquarters today.

Richards was shaken by the news late on Thursday that the in-form British driver, who he rescued from a difficult period at Benetton/Renault and nurtured into a potential winner, has decided to defect next season.

The BAR-Honda team failed to contact Button last night and Richards, who will make a further statement later on Friday, told The Times: "To be treated like this is dumbfounding and I cannot believe that Jenson wants to leave.

"I have got 400 people in this factory who have worked their socks off night and day and then the guy who gets all the credit and drinks the champagne turns around and ditches them."

BAR had a long-term option on Button and had been expected to take it up but rival team chief Sir Frank Williams was offered the driver on a two-year deal and suggested "they probably didn't execute it (the option) properly."

Button has been impressive this season and is targeting second place in the drivers' Championship after closing the gap on Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello in the German Grand Prix two weeks ago.

Williams gave Button his F1 debut in 2000 before ditching him for Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya but it is understood the British driver has decided to return because he is not confident about the future his current team.

Richards told BBC Radio this morning: "About 36 hours ago we had a letter suggesting that on a very slim technicality the option (on Button) wasn't viable based upon Honda's commitment to us.

"Obviously, this is something that is quite ridiculous and we will challenge it. You can't go through life taking advantage of legal technicalities - you have to look at the essence of an agreement."

At the last Grand Prix at Hockenheim in Germany, Honda announced the continuation of their partnership with BAR until the end of 2007 and promised to become more involved in chassis development as well as engines.

However, they said there is a get-out clause in their deal which will allow Honda to leave the sport if proposed new rule changes remove its technical challenge. But despite this clause, Richards insisted the Japanese company are fully committed.

The move is a massive blow to BAR, who had manoeuvred Button into a position as their effective figurehead and expected him to lead them to the World Championship in the next two years.

A BAR team spokesman said: "The first priority was to gather the team together and discuss the situation, and it was a long meeting. This has suddenly become a very busy period for us."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Williams: BAR Missed Option Deadline on Button

Thursday August 5th, 2004

BAR had an option on Jenson Button for 2005 but the deadline for this option had expired, Frank Williams stated tonight, in an interview with BBC Radio.

Williams made a surprise announcement tonight, stating Briton Button will re-join the team next season, to drive alongside Australian Mark Webber. However, Button's current employer, BAR-Honda team chief David Richards threatened with legal action to block the move, stating Button has a binding contract with BAR.

"[Button] has been under option to his present team BAR for some time," Williams told the BBC. "The option expired recently and Button's management called us to say that the option was no longer valid and would we be interested in his services - and of course I reacted as you might expect me to.

"I think [BAR] probably wanted to take up the option but whether they've executed or not will come out in due course."

Williams was asked why he believes Button wished to make a return to Williams, after apparently being successful and supported in his existing team. Williams said he did not know Button's reasons, but speculated that Button might have wanted to make a return ever since leaving the Grove-based outfit.

"He started with us in 2000 and we've been in very close contact all of the time since," Williams said. "Maybe he just harboured a wish [to make a return] and recognised we had spent tens of millions of pounds reinvesting in the company technically speaking.

"Maybe he recognises we have a greater opportunity of providing him a World Championship car than his present team.

"I haven't asked him the real answer yet."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BAR Threaten Legal Battle over Button

BAR-Honda are threatening legal action to stop Jenson Button from leaving the team at the end of this season and re-joining Williams-BMW, according to Britan's The Times newspaper.

Williams made a surprise announcement tonight that Briton Button, who made his F1 debut with the team in 2000, will make a return to the team next season, driving alongside Australian Mark Webber.

According to the newspaper, Button exercised a get-out clause in his contract with BAR, his management, "Essentially Sport", stating today that they question Honda's long term commitment - which would release Button from his existing contract.

However, it now seems Button's current employers BAR were no less surprised by the announcement and believe they retain first rights on the young star's services next season. Furthermore, BAR team chief David Richards said they plan to seek legal action against the move.

"To be treated like this is dumbfounding," Richards told The Times, also adding he had not seen or talked to Button since the German Grand Prix, 12 days ago.

"We are all utterly shaken," Richards added. "I have got 400 people in this factory who have worked their socks off night and day and then the guy who gets all the credit and drinks the champagne turns around and ditches them.

"I cannot believe that Jenson wants to leave. There is a hidden agenda here somewhere and we are determined this is not going to happen. Somebody has been looking for a get-out clause because there is absolutely no doubt Honda are committed. Honda only announced they were renewing and extending their contract with us before the race in Germany, so why should there be a doubt?

"We believe we can make Jenson Button a World Champion and we, with Honda, have proved this year that we are going in the right direction and we thought we were all going together. Perhaps Jenson has been led in another direction - down the garden path. I can only hope that I can talk to him and make sense of what is going on."

Button joined BAR last year after two years with Benetton/Renault. The Briton currently lies third in the 2004 World Drivers Championship, behind the Ferrari drivers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Williams: Button was a Long Term Investment

Williams see the signing of Jenson Button, announced tonight, as part of a long term investment, the team revealing the Briton's ties with Williams, since his debut in 2000, have never been severed.

In a statement issued tonight, the team said Button's signing reflects "a strong and long-term relationship" between the team and the Briton. The team did not state the length of Button's new contract, but media reports suggest he was signed for two years, with a further option to the team.

"There has been a long-term relationship between the BMW-WilliamsF1 Team and Jenson," commented team chief Frank Williams. "We have maintained that relationship until the present day, and I am delighted that one of the most talented drivers in Formula One has accepted the opportunity to return to the team."

For his part, Jenson commented: "I am very pleased that I had the option to re-join the BMW WilliamsF1 Team where my Formula One career started. For the meantime, the 2004 season has my full focus and attention. Beyond this, I have every confidence that the massive investment in resources and the depth of talent at WilliamsF1 and BMW provides the best platform for my future ambitions to be a World Champion."

Button joined the Williams team when he was 20 years old, after a season in the British Formula 3 championship. The team had a long-term option on his services, but decided to release him the following year in order to uphold a commitment to Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya, who was set to join the team in 2001.

"When we signed Jenson in 2000, he was clearly a nascent talent," commented the team's head of engineering, Patrick Head. "In the last three seasons, no-one can have any doubt that he has now come of age and is one of the sport's leading contenders. In many ways, the challenge is now ours to meet his capabilities, and I have every confidence that the intense investment and re-organisation we have undertaken this year, married with a strong driver pairing, will see a resurgent BMW WilliamsF1 Team next season."

BMW's Director of Motorsport, Mario Theissen, also welcomed the announcement. "Jenson is one of the very best drivers in the paddock, and BMW is delighted that he has trusted our ambition and determination to win World Championships. I have every confidence he will make a significant contribution to our future success."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Button Returns to Williams Next Year

British driver Jenson Button is to join Williams for next season, the Formula One team said tonight.

The 24-year-old will leave his present team BAR at the end of 2004. He currently lies third in the drivers' championship with 61 points this season.

Button made his Formula One debut with Williams, in the 2000 season. He was replaced by Juan Pablo Montoya the following year and, after two seasons with Benetton/Renault, the young Briton moved to BAR-Honda.

The announcement comes as a surprise, as Button has a long-term contract with BAR. However, the rising star has been considered Frank Williams's choice, the team owner frequently speaking highly of Button.

BAR have yet to issue a statement, and it now remains unclear who will drive for the team next year. The Brackley-based outfit has an option on Button's teammate, Japanese Takuma Sato.

Button will pair Australian Mark Webber, who signed a long term deal with Williams last week. The two drivers have worked together in Benetton/Renault, when Webber was the team's test driver in 2001.

Last week, during a promotional tour of South Africa, Button told reporters he rates Webber as the biggest future threat to the World Championship, speaking highly of the Australian's commitment.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:39 PM

Check it...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226487

I love winding Red_Ohio_Rocket up...
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM

it gets worse as Hakkinen is in talks with DR to get that BAR drive.

JV looks out of F1 for good now

Looks more like Anthony Davidson for the BAR drive

as a side note:
Da Matta got kicked out of Toyota, he's headed back to the U.S.
He pressured and then argued with the Toyota mgmt.
They did not like his ultimatum he gave them and canned him.
da Matta got irate and then things really got heated. Since he has no contract for '05, he wanted to leave immediately. Things went from bad to worse, as Toyota had to re-draw his contract, have him sign and then released him immediately. Those japanese forever mid gridders will put Zonta in his seat for the remaining races
Old 08-08-2004, 10:59 AM

Haha Da Matta. I can just imagine how that argument went!

Hakkinen would look awfully good in a BAR and i would definitely prefer Davidson over Sato for the second drive. I think BAR should try hard to get Trulli since he has yet to sign anywhere yet, eventhough he is rumoured to go to Toyota.

I'm quite disappointed in JB. I really thought he would become a standard at BAR and Honda. I know all their advertisement and efforts were built around him hoping he would develop into a champion with them. Oh well, i've lost some respect for him.....i hope he sucks next year at Williams.....

Quick Reply: Button to Williams!