Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Brake pads

Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Hey guys, I just picked up a set of cheapo rear brake pads for $25! They're called pro force ceramic brake pads anyone tried them yet?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont go to a track with them

I have Wagner premium ceramic in my rear now and I feel like they are doing next to nothing. Probably will be similar for you, the front will have a lot more stopping power.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ceramic? yuck
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FluKy15

I have Wagner premium ceramic in my rear now and I feel like they are doing next to nothing. Probably will be similar for you, the front will have a lot more stopping power.
I was thinking the same! They should be ok for daily driving no? I have never been to a track but I want to try it out. Should I switch to oem pads and rotors before tracking?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
ceramic? yuck
I thought ceramic was good is it not?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunnyice
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1342728242' post='21873501

I was thinking the same! They should be ok for daily driving no? I have never been to a track but I want to try it out. Should I switch to oem pads and rotors before tracking?
If you have the money for it, you can switch to something like Carbotech XP10/XP8 (front/rear) on OEM rotors with ATE Superblue brake fluid. You could also use Motul RBF600 (or is it RBF660?) for brake fluid, your choice really. If you are a little more tight on money you could just use the Hawk HP+ for brake pads for a track day. What you have on the rear should be ok for daily driving though yea.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM

If you have the money for it, you can switch to something like Carbotech XP10/XP8 (front/rear) on OEM rotors with ATE Superblue brake fluid. You could also use Motul RBF600 (or is it RBF660?) for brake fluid, your choice really. If you are a little more tight on money you could just use the Hawk HP+ for brake pads for a track day. What you have on the rear should be ok for daily driving though yea.
Ok thanks! Where do you buy your rotors and pads and ATE or RBF600? www.canadianhondaparts.com has decent prices on pads and rotors. Do u know a better place? or anywhere local?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyice' timestamp='1342728759' post='21873535
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1342728242' post='21873501']

[/quote]

I bought the HP+ for the front and I really dislike them. They are good for a few laps but they still fade and on top of that, I just can't get use to the way they initially bite. Maybe it's my driving style but I find that you really have to ease into it with them for a smooth heel-toe down shift because if you try to late brake, slamming them really throws off the balance (faster than I can regain downshifting)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Pro Force brake pads are a mid-grade pad. I would never recommend putting anything but premium on a Sports Car. Mike there are like 10 different Wagner lines so saying "premium" doesn't mean much. Only the Thermoquiet and PerfectStop are considered premium.

There is a reason that some company's charge $150-500+ for a set of brake pads, I wouldnt settle for anything less than OEM if you ever plan on tracking.

Iv recently aquired HP+ and I agree they do have a very harsh bite but to me thats a good thing for late braking? I noticed I did have to adapt to the stronger braking force, maybe you just need to give it some more time?

And ceramic brake pads are good lol I dont know why anyone would suggest otherwise? Less brake dust, less heat, more endurance = WIN
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CR EH
Pro Force brake pads are a mid-grade pad. I would never recommend putting anything but premium on a Sports Car. Mike there are like 10 different Wagner lines so saying "premium" doesn't mean much. Only the Thermoquiet and PerfectStop are considered premium.

There is a reason that some company's charge $150-500+ for a set of brake pads, I wouldnt settle for anything less than OEM if you ever plan on tracking.

Iv recently aquired HP+ and I agree they do have a very harsh bite but to me thats a good thing for late braking? I noticed I did have to adapt to the stronger braking force, maybe you just need to give it some more time?

And ceramic brake pads are good lol I dont know why anyone would suggest otherwise? Less brake dust, less heat, more endurance = WIN
Yes I would probably switch to oem all around and might try the the carbotech pads like fluky suggested. My rear caliper is seized thats why I put this cheap pads for now. Gonna pick up the rebuild kit today. Never rebuilt a caliper so it's going to be fun I bet lol.