Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Blue Mountain Resort Area

Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blue Mountain Resort Area

I've enjoyed all my visits to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Whistler, Banff/Lake Louise) and figured I would try the eastern mountains.

I'm currently planning a one-week vacation for the end of July with my wife. Current plans are to fly into T.O. and drive up to Blue Mountain. Lodging would be at The Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain.

My one concern is the Blue Mountain Resort area appears to be a little small. I'm looking to golf a few days, do a little hiking and relax by the pool and read a few books.

Would appreciate your input, perhaps comparing the village to Whistler. I though Whistler was perfect, good amount of restaurants/bars/shops. Blue Mountain appears to be significantly smaller.

Any and all input is appreciated, including alternative destinations (Mont-Treblant???) - - - golf and no sand are really our only requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your concerns are valid, I would say Blue Mountain is a small resort, especially when compared to Whistler - it's tiny.

Also, don't let the name fool you, Blue is more like a hill than a mountain with only a 740ft vertical, compared to Whistler's 5800!!

Since you've already been to Toronto, I would recommend Tremblant/Montreal. It has a larger village and hill than Blue with the same Intrawest feel as Whistler and Blue.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 AM

There are no real mountains in Ontario. Stick with BC or Banff.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Blue Mt. is considerably smaller than the whistler village, but so is the mountain (hill). There are great golf courses there though. About 20min drive away you can play golf at the Raven. They just held the skins game there about a month ago. If you don't want to drive, Monterra is within walking distance and is also a great golf course.

The Westin is really nice and is also home to a great restaurant.

If you want to relax by the pool, play golf and go hiking, blue mt. is perfect. Maybe not as good as some other alternatives, but you get spoiled from where you live and a change of scenery is always nice, considering the lake is right beside there.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM

I have been to both Blue & Tremblant several times and there is no doubt Tremblant is far superior. The village has everything, food shopping etc. The closest golf course to the village is incredible, the views etc. There is a European spa just outside of the village that is like a resort on it's own, you could spend the day there.
There's good hiking, and bike rentals in the village, you can rent a power boat on Lake Tremblant, canoes, water ski. If your there during the weekend you can take the gondola to the top, have lunch at the restraunt go hiking etc.
It's about a 90 minute drive north of Montreal, unless your driving an S
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM

if you go to blue mt, you can stop in at creemore on the way, drink some great beer and say hi to Vince,
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for all your input.

I greatly appreciate you confirming my suspicions regarding the size of Blue Mountain. I'm sure it would be fine for what we are looking for but having more options is not a bad thing so we will probably go to Tremblant.

Tremblant looks great and we have never been to Montreal, so Tremblant for 5 days with a couple of days in Montreal - - - sounds like a great vacation to me.

Again many thanks for you feedback and feel free to post Tremblant / Montreal recommendations.

Michael
Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Definitely Tremblant over Blue. Blue MT has some nice slopes but the vertical is short. Once you ski Tremblant or BC, it's hard to ski Blue.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 PM

The whole design of Blue is now to mimic Tremblant. Kind of Tremblant...junior

I'd go to Tremblant too. Sounds like you've already decided on that that! Have a good vacation!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 AM

Tremblant + Montreal in the Summer?

unbeatable.

Quick Reply: Blue Mountain Resort Area