Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

BioBanker

Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BioBanker

Here you go....

It's hard to believe, but people actually used to worry about rock stars' ability to rock once they turned forty. And if they could rock--that is, if they were still physically capable of rocking--would it still count as rock? It pains me to think now of how much time I wasted reading puerile magazine think pieces to this effect back in the 1970s and early '80s, as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan approached this magical, tragical vista.

As summer 2005 roasts us slowly, news has come from The Stones camp that Jagger, Richards, and company, long since qualified for admission to the retirement communities of their choice, have decided to tour the world--again. Dylan is out on the road already. Clearly, the more appropriate question for us to start debating today is whether you can--or should--rock when you're eighty years old.

The answer is a qualified yes. What I didn't used to know is that quality endures in music, as it does in all things, including cars, but only if and when it endures, which is not often. Rock lives, sometimes.

That's not to say I think The Stones aren't a geriatric freak show. It's just that their work has outlasted its decade and the many others that followed. Thanks to something they do extraordinarily well, The Stones have a free pass to the future. It is the sort of quality Acura's NSX possesses.

The NSX is, like The Stones, hugely old. There is for it, too, no successor in sight. But unlike the sixty-something lads, for whom the red carpet is perpetually being laid out, the NSX is being readied for extinction. Introduced by Honda's newly formed upscale Acura division in 1990 as a 1991 model, its fifteen years in production total several eternities in the automotive world.

The NSX is so old I'd almost forgotten it existed as a new-car option. When one showed up unexpectedly at my doorstep the other week, I was prepared to dismiss it as a relic from another time. However, after a week in its company, I am prepared to celebrate it. Time waits for no one. But the NSX rocks hard still, in a uniquely satisfying way. A barely marketed, barely updated version of a fifteen-year-old design that goes forth with no fanfare yet dares to be a first-rank supercar, the NSX is a freak show in its own right. Few believe it to be the bomb anymore--annual sales in the low hundreds worldwide attest to that--but the NSX is every bit the wonderfully fast, fun, and practical super sports car it was back in 1990. Age has only underscored its independence, how far ahead of its time it once was. With all-aluminum construction, variable valve timing, four-channel ABS, traction control, and a limited-slip diff, it was quite the complete setup, ten years early.

On seventeen-inch aluminum wheels, the NSX rides well and handles brilliantly. Its chassis was never in question. Its styling--considered derivative from the start--was, but the main complaint was always with its V-6 engine, specifically its lack of companion cylinders. Which is just the measure of the show-off money spent on high-priced sports cars. What's wrong with incredibly sweet 3.2-liter VTEC sixes that rev to 8000 rpm and deliver five-second 0-to-60-mph times? Eight needn't do better. The NSX is a bit of a modern Ferrari Dino. It is a delicate hand tool with a mere 175-mph top speed, where a Ferrari F430, a pound lighter but 193 hp stronger, is a power tool (with a maximum velocity of 190 mph).

With Honda's typical penetrating attention to detail, the NSX remains better built than many sedans and dramatically more comfortable and usable than the claustrophobic torture chambers most mid-engined sports cars still stand in for.

The NSX's first scheduled tune-up is called for at 105,000 miles. An F430 costs more than twice as much as the $89,765 Acura, and, if history is any guide, by the time Ferrari has gone 105,000 miles, its second engine could be ready for a rebuild. Besides, 175 mph is fast enough for me.

There's one other thing about the Acura NSX. Young people still dig it. "I know it's old, but it's my favorite," one knowledgeable enthusiast, age sixteen, told me. As somewhere some kid is probably saying about old Mick and Keef right now.

-- Jamie Kitman, AUTOMOBILE, August 2005. Copyright 2005 Primedia, Inc.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:18 PM

Old or new - I still wanna drive one.

This was a good read.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:26 AM

Thanks for putting that up Marco - I too love the car.

I couldnt be happier actually.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:44 AM

So why have I not seen it yet?????
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 AM

The only way he'd be happier is if we'd stop ragging on him for his rolling stones mobile hehe

Good article...still don't want one but its a good article for making Dave feel better.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave bought an NSX?!?!?!

I didn't even know that... sheesh no one tells me anything anymore

Old 07-08-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"NSX still Rocks !, would be a appropriate comment due to the article.. " heh

as does this beautie below..

Old 07-08-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by DoGMaN,Jul 8 2005, 05:14 AM
The only way he'd be happier is if we'd stop ragging on him for his rolling stones mobile hehe

Good article...still don't want one but its a good article for making Dave feel better.
Nah - keep it coming.

Its all fun to say you are going to get a car, until you actually go get one.

new Z06 - what a beast that will be. Terrific performance value. Do I want to drive one. Hell ya. Do I want to plunk down close to $100k for a vette, no thanks.

2002 911 C4S - what a great car. That is probably why 2 of the people I work with have them. Identical very nice silver ones. There are probably 5 others where I park, plus probably 50 Carerras, 6 of them within site of where I park. Both of the dufuses I work with who own them (new to them this year) had to take a week off of work their first week of ownership to learn how to drive standard. WELL DONE. Typical bankers wanting to own Pcars.

M3 - I didnt even look at this car - I probably should have as I could put the kids in the back, which would be great on the weekends, but I wanted a 2 seat midengine car, or something close to it.

Maserati Coupe? More dough than I wanted to spend.

F355? Again, more dough. Plus it would have been a huge mistake from a professional standpoint. Massive mistake.

Dont forget that I got my car for wholesale (in fact an identically spec'd orange one just sold at AUCTION for more than what I paid the dealer), and I can prob sell it for $65K in 3.5 years based upon what 1998s wholesale for now. So Ive had the car for four years and its cost me $25k of dep. If I had of bought a new S2000 for $45k, I bet it would cost me almost as much in dep. The 911C4S would probably be $35k. The vette, $45K.

Tire wear however, will add bucks

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about my car some more! he hehehe
Old 07-08-2005, 06:55 AM

Give it another 5 years. Simon will be calling it a ricer mobil just like he does the S. All it'll take is one punk reving at him, or being pulled over by the cops.

Just wait...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:08 AM

My money is on Simon calling it rice before the end of 06.

Quick Reply: BioBanker