Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

BAR Honda Make A Move

Old 04-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BAR Honda Make A Move

BAR are feeling the loss of David Richards and new boy Nick Fry cannot fill Richards' shoes as nicely as they thought. So they've brought in some help. Come the end of the season, rumours have it that Nick Fry will be gone from the role of Tech Director, only to be replaced by Richards once again.

BAR have appointed two-times Champ Car champion and 2003 Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran as their new Sporting Director, and the shock move is expected to be confirmed by the team on Wednesday morning.

De Ferran, who is due to start work for the team next Monday, has been drafted in to help oversee BAR's activities during a race weekend. It is hoped that he will ease some of the pressures currently faced by CEO Nick Fry and BAR technical director Geoff Willis.

BAR are currently one of three teams that have failed to score any points this year and they are the only outfit that have not taken the chequered flag yet this season.

De Ferran will take a hands-on role in running the cars over a Grand Prix weekend - getting involved in the procedural and strategy decisions that Willis was previously overseeing. Fry, who will remain as BAR's CEO, will now be able to concentrate more on commercial and senior management matters.

De Ferran, who retired from racing at the end of 2003, is expected to continue his television commentating duties in the Indy Racing League with ESPN for this season, but will likely drop those duties at the end of the year.

discuss
Old 04-06-2005, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf? What kind of experience does De Ferran have? Didn't he just recently retire from racing? Oh man, this doesn't look good.

As i said last year while everyone was on DR's case. Even with the potential problems, he did a fanatastic job and brought the team from nothing to 2nd in WC points. Bring him back now and fire Fry!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 AM

I think this is a huge mistake and yet another pointless distraction for them. JB won't put up with this and will be driving for Williams next year, my guess is he will replace Mark Weber who really has done nothing in F1 and is really overrated.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:59 AM

Yes it is true, I'm no Richards fan, but in hindsight it seems that in actuality he may have been making a huge contribution to the team, because they have just gone downhill big time.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by pace76,Apr 6 2005, 08:49 AM
Mark Weber who really has done nothing in F1 and is really overrated.
I have always though this too. People are always saying "oh Webber, he is so great" but where's the beef?

WEBBER - (After Sakhir)
Wins : 0
Points scored : 33
Number of GP : 53
Pole Position : 0
Podiums : 0
First GP : 2002 (Melbourne)
Best result : 5
2004 championship position : 13
Current championship position (2005) : --
Team : WILLIAMS

Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 AM

I think Webber is a decent driver. He's consistantly ahead of Heidfeld(which doesn't say a lot). The Williams isn't exactly the quickest car out there but he's been doing pretty well, imo. Give him a season and let's see what he can do. If they were to get JB, i'd definitely get rid of Heidfeld first!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ITR Racer,Apr 6 2005, 06:10 AM
I think Webber is a decent driver. He's consistantly ahead of Heidfeld(which doesn't say a lot). The Williams isn't exactly the quickest car out there but he's been doing pretty well, imo. Give him a season and let's see what he can do. If they were to get JB, i'd definitely get rid of Heidfeld first!
He is quicker than the Honda boys anyways....
Old 04-06-2005, 09:20 AM

I stand corrected.. Nick Fry may not be considered Technical Director after all, it appears BAR are giving it all to Gil.

De Ferran To Head Ailing BAR Team

"New 'CEO' Nick Fry will assume a more factory based role, the newspaper continued. Speed TV, meanwhile, reported that Gil flew from Indianapolis to Europe on Tuesday for the official announcement, expected Wednesday. "

so they've gone with a complete F1 Outside to run the team.

I wonder what David Richards thinks of all this as he propels the new Aston Martin DB Racing team to new success ?

discuss

Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Apr 6 2005, 09:20 AM
I stand corrected.. Nick Fry may not be considered Technical Director after all, it appears BAR are giving it all to Gil.

De Ferran To Head Ailing BAR Team

"New 'CEO' Nick Fry will assume a more factory based role, the newspaper continued. Speed TV, meanwhile, reported that Gil flew from Indianapolis to Europe on Tuesday for the official announcement, expected Wednesday. "

so they've gone with a complete F1 Outside to run the team.

I wonder what David Richards thinks of all this as he propels the new Aston Martin DB Racing team to new success ?

discuss

BAR is a joke .... discuss.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 AM

^Unfortunately, i think i agree with you Pace.

Quick Reply: BAR Honda Make A Move