Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

BAHRAIN: F1 Fans

Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BAHRAIN: F1 Fans

Here is the schedule
Friday, 2 - 6:00 AM Auto Racing: Formula One practice
Saturday, 3 - 3:00 AM, Auto Racing: Formula One practice
Saturday, 3 - 7:00 AM, Auto Racing: Formula One qualifying
Sunday, 4 - 1:00 AM, Auto Racing: Formula One qualifying
Sunday, 4 - 6:00 AM, Auto Racing: Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix
Sunday, 4 - 8:00 PM, Racing: Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix
Monday, 5 - 12:00 AM, Auto Racing: Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix

This is going to be a must see race. Bahrain is a first time venue and already there is a great deal of concern over reliability for ALL teams because of the sand.

And as a side note, if any of you have a strong heart, you might want to watch the replay of the '94 San Marino race, even as I type this the tears well up in the corner of my eyes. Rest in peace Aryton Senna for you will be respected forever.
Saturday, 3 - 1:00 AM F1 Decade: 1994 San Marino Grand Prix
Saturday, 3 - 12:00 PM F1 Decade: 1994 San Marino Grand Prix
Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the new track . . .
Old 04-01-2004, 08:08 AM

Me too

I'm not seeing the practice available until Saturday morning at 3am on Speed.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:17 AM

Vince, that's interesting. just pulled these from TV Listings web site. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check on the TV when I get home.

I think it is interesting they are now claiming it is cooler than they thought it was going to be. You would think F1 would have the best weathermen in the world...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by S2kRob
Looking forward to seeing the new track . . .
Here ya go...

Right now I'm thinking sector two times could be very telling of who has the right set up.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:25 AM

Many are complaining about the track being slow because of the corners are too slow.

This track is going to tell us what Bridgestone has done and it's probably Michelin's best chance...once their back in Europe on cooler tracks....
Old 04-01-2004, 08:27 AM

Drivers Critical of Bahrain Circuit
Thursday April 1st, 2004

The new Sakhir circuit, which will host Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, has too many slow corners, according to some Formula One drivers.

Bahrain has created an oasis in the middle of the desert, spending over $150 million into the state-of-the-art Sakhir circuit. Even before turning a wheel at the track, Italian driver Jarno Trulli said he was disappointed with the circuit ahead of this weekend's first ever Middle East race.

"For a driver, a new track is always exciting. However, I admit that I'm a bit disappointed: it could have been better," Trulli told Gazzetta dello Sport. "There are too many slow, first gear curves. You don't need guts to drive here. Honestly, I expected something more technical.

"They have created an exceptional, ultramodern venue, but with all the space at their disposal they could have done better. Instead they created a track that I'd define slow, where we'll probably use Montreal-like aerodynamic loads: it's true that there are very long straights, but at the end of those there's a tight corner that will require heavy braking.

"So, we'll either have the gas fully open, or we'll be almost still. There are at least three first gear curves, and I fear four. Too many. It's a shame."

McLaren's David Coulthard said he liked the track overall, but, like Trulli, the Scot believes there are too many slow corners.

"There's less dust than I expected, and that's a good thing, and more tight curves than I thought and a longer straight compared to other circuits," said Coulthard. "It's a positive sensation, and I like the track overall, even if there are things that I wouldn't have done.

"There are at least four first gear or second gear turns, which I think are too many. If it was me designing the track, I would have had slow turns alternating fast, spectacular curves, where the driver's foot is important."

Renault driver Fernando Alonso also agreed.

"I'm impressed by what they've built in the middle of nowhere," he said. "I like it, even though there are too many slow corners, which however should guarantee a chance of passing."

Jordan driver Giorgio Pantano, making his Grand Prix debut this season, said the track seemed too easy.

"It's a nice track, but certainly not hard, since it's all about heavy braking, tight hairpins and curves slightly over 90 degrees," said Pantano. "From what I saw in the drawings I thought it would have been harder."
Old 04-01-2004, 08:29 AM

sand.. sand.. and more sand.. in the rads, in the helmets, in the ducts.. .. in everywhere...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:44 AM

Okay, I agree the sand will be an issue, and then there is that background thing with a potential terrorist attack, but I think the worst thing about Bahrain is the fact that this is not allowed...

Come on, what were they thinking...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 AM

oh gosh..you're killing me..

Quick Reply: BAHRAIN: F1 Fans