Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Anyone near Mississauga area got a supercharged s2k?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Reason why I went supercharger is for the track. I think 350whp would be ideal. I'm only at 310whp and if we meet up at the tech day or some meet I'll take you for a ride. Im in Kitchener.
Sweet, I'll keep an eye out for meets.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reapur
I think the essence of the s2000 is totally lost with a turbo, the entire point of the car is to keep the engine screaming and live in that high strung power band. If you want low end performance maybe the S2000 wasn't the right choice?

It's my belief that mods to the s2000 should enhance what Honda gave us not change the entire nature of the beast. At the end of the day thats your call on what you want to do but the SC approach compliments the S way better than a turbo especially for your power goals.

Not to down play the hard work of people who TC their cars, it just isn't for me.
Whatever you say slow poke lol A S/C keeps the same character as N/A, you just don't get to stay above 6k for nearly as long
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Reason why I went supercharger is for the track. I think 350whp would be ideal. I'm only at 310whp and if we meet up at the tech day or some meet I'll take you for a ride. Im in Kitchener.
I think 310whp is plenty, as long as you have a smooth powerband, it hauls ass!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by Ludeboye1' timestamp='1335240273' post='21637040
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1335237088' post='21636905']
What are your goals with your car? Track, autocross, power, straight line speed?
I gather that SC is less of a hassle there is less cost upfront to start and turbo will yield a fuller power band and is more suitable for straight line but comes with its little bugs. I just don't like the fact that sc makes most of its power up top near the 7k band. That's why I wanna sit in a SC car to get a feel for myself maybe that's all the power that I need.
It's gonna feel exactly like NA but it just keeps pulling harder and harder as you go higher in the gear. That was my experience in the SC car. Havent been in a turbo car that was being pushed fully though.
[/quote]

The S/C are pretty weak under 4-5k, you won't notice a difference, as boost builds linear with RPM. There are a million online arguments regarding the two, but my personal opinion is that I prefer the predictable power curve of the S/C, also how much time do you spend below 4k on a track? Low end is important, but our cars are geared so short that I really find it a non issue.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Ya that's a tough call, I just went SC because of the linear power (you wont spin as easy on the track) as well as less bugs and a little better reliability of the tranny and diff.... but turbo is sweet because for the same dollars spent you can have a WAY better power-band (like 50-120whp difference at lower rpms)

so really if you have some spare coin in case shit breaks and want a more straightline/ street glory car then go turbo, if not SC is the way to go.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcbarnard
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1335240912' post='21637077
[quote name='Ludeboye1' timestamp='1335240273' post='21637040']
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1335237088' post='21636905']
What are your goals with your car? Track, autocross, power, straight line speed?
I gather that SC is less of a hassle there is less cost upfront to start and turbo will yield a fuller power band and is more suitable for straight line but comes with its little bugs. I just don't like the fact that sc makes most of its power up top near the 7k band. That's why I wanna sit in a SC car to get a feel for myself maybe that's all the power that I need.
It's gonna feel exactly like NA but it just keeps pulling harder and harder as you go higher in the gear. That was my experience in the SC car. Havent been in a turbo car that was being pushed fully though.
[/quote]

The S/C are pretty weak under 4-5k, you won't notice a difference, as boost builds linear with RPM. There are a million online arguments regarding the two, but my personal opinion is that I prefer the predictable power curve of the S/C, also how much time do you spend below 4k on a track? Low end is important, but our cars are geared so short that I really find it a non issue.
[/quote]

Cant you run a smaller pully to have higher boost at lower RPM, then to keep the power under control have a BLV for the top of the rev range so you dont go past say like 14 psi ?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM

You could... But pointless no? If that was the goal, then just go turbo. Losing power up top sucks though.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
You could... But pointless no? If that was the goal, then just go turbo. Losing power up top sucks though.

Not pointless, getting higher power earlier in the rev range seems like a great reason. From the research ive done SCs run cooler and have less problems in the long run than turbo setups. You're not really losing power just limiting how high the boost can go so it plateaus instead of continuing to build up as the revs rise.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Reapur
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1335406064' post='21643776
I remember a discussion in the FI section about using a smaller pulley and installing some form of waste gate to bleed off boost at higher rpm. I can't remember if anyone ever did it though. It would be pretty cool actually!

Not pointless, getting higher power earlier in the rev range seems like a great reason. From the research ive done SCs run cooler and have less problems in the long run than turbo setups. You're not really losing power just limiting how high the boost can go so it plateaus instead of continuing to build up as the revs rise.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808
Originally Posted by Reapur' timestamp='1335408898' post='21643928
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1335406064' post='21643776']
I remember a discussion in the FI section about using a smaller pulley and installing some form of waste gate to bleed off boost at higher rpm. I can't remember if anyone ever did it though. It would be pretty cool actually!

[/quote]

I don't get why people say turbo changes the character of the car if Honda made a S3 with the same power band down low everyone would be on it. Turbo is definitely better power delivery but I think I am going with a supercharger for now just to get use to a it and then later upgrade to a turbo when I feel more confident doing work on these.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Mississauga area got a supercharged s2k?