Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Anyone in automotive engineering ?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in automotive engineering ?

I was just laid off last week in Ottawa.... I am only a junior with about 2-3 years experience, but want to possibly pursue the automotive industry now. I am willing to relocate, but I feel like my current experiences don't really line up with the automotive sector. I guess any tips on how to get in and what should my keywords be on indeed to find the right job? I would be interested in working for OEMs like Ford, GM, etc.

Sorry if it seems spammy/off topic. Kind of a tough time for me.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know if this helps at all but I hear the Ford plant in Oakville is hiring. A couple people I know got hired.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Anything helps right now. I got all day to look. I was trying to see if I could get into multimatic for that Ford GT thing but nothing low enough for me
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get into construction. You can live wherever you want and they will fly you home every 10 or 14 days (normally), if you get a travel job. They pay you a living allowance that is tax free, and most construction sites have an uplift on base salary. For example where I work, I make salary + 30% plus $935 living allowance a week (tax free). The money is fantastic and I'm home every second weekend for 4 days. I work a 10 days on 4 days off schedule.

I would however eventually like get into the automotive field eventually
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM

I actually was thinking and talking about going to university for automotive engineering part time, but Id have to upgrade my high school (stoner days) math so I said f@#k it. Good luck finding something bud!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my degree in mechanical engineering (with an automotive specialty). Look into careers with GM. They are hiring junior engineers left right and center in the auburn Michigan area right now. If I were you I would contact a head hunter from Aerotek as they are the largest firm representing and seeking talent for GM. Best of luck, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM

I was actually Co tasted by someone from. Aerotek in December but declined because I had a job lol... I guess I'll try really contacting them.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanDavidAnderson
Get into construction. You can live wherever you want and they will fly you home every 10 or 14 days (normally), if you get a travel job. They pay you a living allowance that is tax free, and most construction sites have an uplift on base salary. For example where I work, I make salary + 30% plus $935 living allowance a week (tax free). The money is fantastic and I'm home every second weekend for 4 days. I work a 10 days on 4 days off schedule.

what kind of position is that if you dont mind?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3
Originally Posted by JordanDavidAnderson' timestamp='1425432966' post='23526611

what kind of position is that if you dont mind?
Field Engineer...aka Superintendent's b****
Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me please with Email address.

Quick Reply: Anyone in automotive engineering ?