Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Any Kitchen Knife Buffs?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bay has a set of Henkels Professional S knives with wood block on clearance for $260 (regular $650). Not sure how long the sale is on but its a great price for high quality knives.

More info. http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=henkels
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k83,May 14 2009, 01:12 PM
agree, used to work for them, 10 years later my knives are still sharp, and the service is great too, when I broke a tip off one knife( prying something open) I sent it in and got a replacement with no hassles.

cuttco is distributed by Vector canada, you should look it up, nothing but good things to say about their knives and I haven't worked there for 9 years now. Great investment IMO. Good luck
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/c...nives-1325.html

FYI: Swedish/Japanese steel are steps ahead of German, USA, etc..

Forschner or Rosewood isn't bad, but they base thier sizes and shape from German design, while Japanese are more closer to French design.

From the fourms i've been inquirying, I get the same feedback. Once you go Japanese you won't look back.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by devun157,May 14 2009, 02:57 PM
The Bay has a set of Henkels Professional S knives with wood block on clearance for $260 (regular $650). Not sure how long the sale is on but its a great price for high quality knives.

More info. http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=henkels
I saw that deal, 60% off list.

But for that much I can get a Chef and Utility knife and maybe spend a few bucks on a F.Dick bread cutter/serrated knife
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM

BTW the ones without the wood block are on clearance
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,May 14 2009, 11:03 AM
BTW the ones without the wood block are on clearance
I think you mean the ones without the wood cutting board.

With The Bay's 25% off sale (which happens all the time) the 8" chef knife would run about $150, 4" paring knife $50, so you get everything else for $60 which includes bread knife, utility knife, steel and wood block. But if you dont need the others then you will save some money for sure.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Btw, if you're looking for good "work" knives then the Victorinox knives are the ones people have been raving about as "must have" in your drawer. Ive been trying to track down the 10" chef for a while now.

http://www.houseofknives.ca/products.php?s=2003
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,May 14 2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/c...nives-1325.html

FYI: Swedish/Japanese steel are steps ahead of German, USA, etc..

Forschner or Rosewood isn't bad, but they base thier sizes and shape from German design, while Japanese are more closer to French design.

From the fourms i've been inquirying, I get the same feedback. Once you go Japanese you won't look back.
Never seen that post before, I am not a professional chef by any means, but I really liked using cuttco knives since day one, only going on experience here,
You can always call vector canada and request a demo in your house, you'll have a chance to use the knives and then make up your own mind about them.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,May 14 2009, 12:20 PM
I've got a bunch of Henckels 5 star knives. The Japanese knives are very sharp and hold an edge well but are a little brittle for my liking. I've broken or chipped several. I guess it depends on what you're cutting. It you make sushi they are perfect. I haven't tried a Japanese ceramic yet. Not sure how I feel about sending it back to Japan to sharpen.

The biggest problem I have with knives is my wife who insists on a) leaving them in the sink b) leaving them in the sink full of soapy water c) putting them in the dish washer. Being married makes it impossible to have nice things
There are a few brands that make Commercial Knives, so that you can dishwash them, etc..

Have you had to sharpen your Henckels on a frequent basis?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by devun157,May 14 2009, 03:36 PM
Btw, if you're looking for good "work" knives then the Victorinox knives are the ones people have been raving about as "must have" in your drawer. Ive been trying to track down the 10" chef for a while now.

http://www.houseofknives.ca/products.php?s=2003
Wow, for 57.00, that's not too bad. Not the most estetically pleasing, but I'm sure they are plenty functional.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,May 15 2009, 11:13 AM
There are a few brands that make Commercial Knives, so that you can dishwash them, etc..

Have you had to sharpen your Henckels on a frequent basis?
I still wouldn't put knives in the dishwasher, the tips can get wedged between the racks and snap off and the detergent is corrosive to stainless steel. Even dish soap isn't recommended. They say the best thing is to just rinse them under warm water and wipe off and that if you do it right away after using then they never need "cleaning". I'm not a subscriber to the no-soap idea but I do like to wash them soon after using with a soapy dish cloth, wipe dry and put away in the block. Less chance of nicking the blades or bending the tips if they go from the block to the board and back to the block directly.

[IMHO]
Sharpening is something of a myth. If you have a knife with a precision edge and made from the highest quality steel and you don't hack or nick the blade you should NEVER have to sharpen it. Use a steel on them every time they leave the block and they will remain sharp forever.

Sharpening really means grinding off the edge and creating a new one. The only reason you need to do that is if part or all of the existing one is missing. If the steel is gone, where is it? It's in your food or it has corroded away. If the edge is intact you can bring it back with a steel.

I use a steel every time a knife leaves the block. It straightens and trues the edge without removing metal, it just bends it back into shape. It's always sharp and never needs sharpening unless the edge becomes damaged and there is no edge left to straighten out.
[/IMHO]

I've had my knives sharpened twice in 20 years. The first time by Henckles after they were sharpened at home and damaged and the second time by a hack who destroyed them permanently. NEVER have them sharpened by anyone who isn't certified by the manufacturer. A lot of places will offer free knife sharpening, don't do it! That is how I ruined all of mine Send them to the factory if you must but if you use a steel every time you take the knife out of the block it will stay sharp forever*.

Those draw-through metal-disk sharpeners will destroy your knives. I wouldn't put a Ginsu through one of those let alone one I paid good money for. Try it sometime. Take a cheap but otherwise fine new knife and give it a run through a few times. I bet you won't be impressed by what happens.

Putting an edge on a blade is an art and a science. Keeping it there requires care and maintenance. A sharp knife is a safe knife.