Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Aftermarket parts and insurance companies

Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket parts and insurance companies

Hi,

I just called up my insurance company to ask them whether I need to report certain modifications on the car (exhaust, wheels, tires). My insurance company said they won't insure my car if it has an aftermarket exhaust...

They will allow aftermarket wheels but not if the size has changed from the stock wheel size (i want 17s).

I saw a lot of S2000s at the toronto meet that were modded (some fairly extensively) and was wondering who you guys are insured with.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who are you with
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM

im with statefarm and i don't report anything and they don't ask me anything either
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Mar 26 2010, 05:53 AM
Who are you with
Im with TD.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by David_T,Mar 26 2010, 06:55 AM
im with statefarm and i don't report anything and they don't ask me anything either
Do you know if they allow it though? TD told me if I don't report it and I make a claim, they will deny it 100% because I have aftermarket parts (with some exceptions).

The person I talked to (I was hiding my identity) told me that TD would allow some exhausts (very few). But he says I risk putting myself under the radar of the insurance company if they know that I am thinking about modifying my car (my identity would have to be revealed to check whether the exhaust is OK or not). According to him, this is because people who modify cars or think about doing so usually drive more recklessly on the road.

He said as soon as my identity is revealed and it is known to TD that I am interested in modifications, not only would I be watched closely by TD, my insurance premium is likely to go up when I renew.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by hyoseke,Mar 26 2010, 11:37 AM
Do you know if they allow it though? TD told me if I don't report it and I make a claim, they will deny it 100% because I have aftermarket parts (with some exceptions).

The person I talked to (I was hiding my identity) told me that TD would allow some exhausts (very few). But he says I risk putting myself under the radar of the insurance company if they know that I am thinking about modifying my car (my identity would have to be revealed to check whether the exhaust is OK or not). According to him, this is because people who modify cars or think about doing so usually drive more recklessly on the road.

He said as soon as my identity is revealed and it is known to TD that I am interested in modifications, not only would I be watched closely by TD, my insurance premium is likely to go up when I renew.
Not to sure, never really asked or anything LOL i should tho
Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by David_T,Mar 26 2010, 07:46 AM
Not to sure, never really asked or anything LOL i should tho
I'll give statefarm a call, how are your rates with them?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by hyoseke,Mar 26 2010, 11:56 AM
I'll give statefarm a call, how are your rates with them?
hmm its not bad since its not under my name LOL
if it was i don't think i can afford it
Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

there is no way that they wont cover you unless your modifications are sooooo extensive. I mean you could play stupid and say i bought the car like this... i got it e-tested and certified like this and was never told that the rims were aftermarket or that my wing didnt come stock on this car. I highly doubt they can deny you. If somthing happens god for bid... play stupid
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Just get yourself ready to take a loss if anything happens

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parts and insurance companies