Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

About to buy a local 2004 rio yellow s2000

Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
the car looks clean, cheap price. Any pictures of the instrument cluster upgrade, I have changed mine to LED's as well, I stuck with a red and amber colour scheme, I'd love to see the red and white to see what colours went where.
Sure JFUSION....I'll was planning to go this weekend, but with the snow, will postpone it to next. Will take some pictures.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering this car as well during my search a few months back.
Seems like a nice car and the cluster part is a hit or miss. Too bad I never got to see it.

GLuck man!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by P-dizzle
I was considering this car as well during my search a few months back.
Seems like a nice car and the cluster part is a hit or miss. Too bad I never got to see it.

GLuck man!
Thats too bad...would have been great to get some feedback. But from a resale point of view (wont hold on to it for more than 2-3 years), would it be better to get a Canadian car (like this one MY 2004), or a slightly newer US one (2006-2007)? I'm soooo confused
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

^Personally I don't see the difference between a Canadian and American car these days. I figured it was always just a warranty thing rather than anything else and well that's not an issue anymore.

There was a Red 06 ish s2000 for sale that was on spacers as well. CR lip in front, I saw it for sale on kijiji a couple of days ago. Love the look of that one
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
^Personally I don't see the difference between a Canadian and American car these days. I figured it was always just a warranty thing rather than anything else and well that's not an issue anymore.

There was a Red 06 ish s2000 for sale that was on spacers as well. CR lip in front, I saw it for sale on kijiji a couple of days ago. Love the look of that one
Its still for sale I think....there is a lien on the car so be careful. I was told by the seller that he bought it from a friend, but my search showed that this vehicle was purchased through some company called Town and Country off which this guy bought and financed through them.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM

Also, considering 2004 was the first model year for AP2, any known problem I should know about?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sweetadad
Also, considering 2004 was the first model year for AP2, any known problem I should know about?
I spent a lot of time here when I was looking at buying one myself.

Found a lot of good reads and info; some of the stuff was broken down by MY too. The Under the Hood forum had a lot of info too.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Ah, car just looked good from the pictures.

I have an 04 as well. Common things to look for were the transmission popping out of second gear sometimes.
Car having a rough idle and a couple of other small things I can't remember.

Basic things you want to look for are all the VINS. should they not match ask the seller why they dont, should also give you an indication that the car was either modified and put back to stock (the spacers also kind of tell me that the car was previously modified) or it was in an accident.

Take it to a shop that you know and will give you a good assessment on the car. Drive the car if the owner lets you in this weather.. step on the gas a little and see if the car pulls to any direction.

Other than that ask for receipts if he has them, make sure you go through all 6 gears and reverse to make sure they exist. Take a look at the engine bay and smell for some weird odours. My mom unknowingly bought a car with a cracked radiator, coolant smell everywhere.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it were me, I'd have a hard look at:

FS: 2003 AP1 S2000 - Accident Free car proof, full vehicle service history, only 2 owners
It's in the For Sale section.

Plus it's an AP1 and one of the best years.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by hawkman199
If it were me, I'd have a hard look at:

FS: 2003 AP1 S2000 - Accident Free car proof, full vehicle service history, only 2 owners
It's in the For Sale section.

Plus it's an AP1 and one of the best years.

Can you send the link if you dont mind?

Quick Reply: About to buy a local 2004 rio yellow s2000