South Florida Owners from South Florida
View Poll Results: Wing Options, What say you?
Paint the wing suzuka, leave the plates cf. It'll match those godforsaken canards
25.00%
Paint the end plates, leave the wing as is. It matches the hood
25.00%
Keep the Nicole version, all black.
25.00%
Take it off and finally become one of us, Uncle Ben
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Wing Options, What say you?

Old 05-05-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt said something on Tuesday night that got me thinking. When I asked him if
the car looked better with or without the wing, he responded "I sort of liked the wing
'cause the wing was Russ."
To preface, I removed it because I wanted to see how the car handled with it off. Speed on the interstate seems to pick up a tad quicker but the car does NOT feel quite as stable as it used to. Anyone who has followed me on a group drive could vouch for how much downforce is being pushed on that wing (it shakes quite a bit). I was considering a carbon fiber trunk but after a lot of thought, I just can't seem to warm
to how it looks on the back of the car. Carbon fiber for the hood looks great but on
the trunk, it just sort of looks out of place. On a black car, yes. All other colors,
I haven't seen an S2000 yet that I've REALLY liked so, I've nixed the $650 trunk.
Getting to the poll, on the way back from BB (great full moon drive BTW), I pondered
painting the wing suzuka and leaving the CF plates alone and doing the reverse, painting
the original plates (not gonna paint over the optional CF ones) suzuka and leaving the
middle section alone (like a Veilside wing with the painted ends) OR leaving the wing
off altogether but that would mean doing something about the holes in the OEM hood.

Thoughts/opinions. Be honest but no insults. From 750 yards away, the only thing between the apology and my ear is muzzle velocity.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:48 PM

leave it the way it is. your car looks like ass without it. its no longer russ's car. its just any old S
Old 05-06-2004, 03:05 AM

Ever feel naked while driving a car? That's how I feel when I look in my rearview mirror
to see nothing but the unobstructed view of the wagon-wheeled Caprice Classic behind me (remember, I haven't
left Homestead yet).
I used to see the corner of my wing, reminding me it was ok to push the car a bit more
aggressively in and around Miami traffic, knowing I had MAD DOWNFORCE YO.
It's really bizarre, the psychology behind it because without the wing and all-black
wheels, when driving, the car feels more like a classier (but loud) convertible and a
bit more, shall we say, agreeable to my age. With the wing in place, it feels more like a 2F, 2F movie car that I've borrowed from the son I don't have.
In truth though it is quite remarkable the difference in how the car actually performs and
it's not even a tall wing (a compromise wing, if you will, between drag
and downforce).
I'm often curious to know how the other S2000 wings (OEM, Mugen, Backyard Special, etc)
modulate the car's stance or the degree in which they affect the car's acceleration.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 AM

Leave the wing on. If you do decide to paint it. paint just the outside plates. My .02

Deiger
Old 05-06-2004, 04:59 AM

Hmmmm......

Very tough call here. While I am not a big wing fan ( I like the factory one and I like Firestyke's) I saw Russ's car the other night and BB and it did seem naked.

Russ, I think you should put it back on. It is after all one your your many trademarks. As far as painting it goes. Paint the ends Suzuka.

well that's my .02

If you do choose to take it off, I know where you can get a factory rear spoiler in Suzuka

Mitch
Old 05-06-2004, 05:22 AM

Keep the wing (very Russ like) and lose the stickers.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Hunter
Keep the wing (very Russ like) and lose the stickers.
I tried to lose 'em by covering 'em up but John won't sell me his sideskirts.
I'm almost afraid to take 'em off for fear the outline of the stickers will be faded into the paint though I'm sure a couple of coats of Zymol will take care of that. I'm still considering Tim's Airwalker group buy in urethane. I figure a body shop would charge me $150 to paint 'em. I hear the fit is quite good.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:22 AM

I'm not a big wing fan, and normally I wouldnt advise anyone twards one- but your car just isn't the same without the wing!- keep it!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:26 AM

yeah...and as a design freak I would get rid of the stickers and lay a big fat sideskirt down there! ( not even mentioning how much your car deserves fender flares)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ

Quick Reply: Wing Options, What say you?