State troopers to target those barely speeding

Old 11-21-2005 | 07:24 AM

Thumbs down State troopers to target those barely speeding

From today's Sun Sentinel
Story

State troopers to target drivers going 10-15 mph over the speed limit

sun-sentinel.com
Posted November 21 2005, 10:45 AM EST

Think it's OK to drive 75 in a 65 mph speed zone? Think again.

As part of Operation Safe Ride, the Florida Highway Patrol is planning to target drivers who drive just a little bit over the posted speed limit on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

"There's an erroneous belief that it's okay to drive 10 to 15 miles per hour over the posted speed limit. We want to make clear that this belief is not only wrong, but dangerous," said Col. Chris Knight, FHP director. "Motorists must recognize that speeding increases the likelihood of a crash and its severity."

Troopers around the state have been ordered to take part in the crackdown, which includes shifting office-bound troopers and supervisors onto the road to increase police presence, the highway patrol said.

"Unlawful speed violators will be tracked using radar, Vascar, video cameras, motorcycles and unmarked patrol vehicles. Troopers piloting FHP aircraft will also be used to spot violators from the air and then direct troopers on the ground to pull them over," the FHP said in a statement.

This is the fifth phase of Operation Safe Ride, which began in early 2004 as a way to target aggressive drivers. Since then, it has targeted other drivers who pose a menace on Florida roads.
Old 11-21-2005 | 07:33 AM

hmmm.. i'll just have to go 20-30 mph over.. LOL...
Old 11-21-2005 | 08:41 AM
d.h

I think I was the very first one to get hit. Got a speeding ticket about 2 weeks ago on I-95 south. In case people are not familiar, it's a 55mph speed limit. Who the hell goes 55 on I-95? Seriously. I was doing about 68, and BAM, out of nowhere came the FHP. "Did you know you were going 13mph over the speed limit?" Thinking to myself at that moment, you're so full of SH*T. I'm doing 68mph and I have people running into me from behind. What about the rest of the car that were passing me? I'm not saying that I didn't speed, but who doesn't on that highway?
Old 11-21-2005 | 11:42 AM

hmmmm . .. . . ruins my day I usually go 14 over regularly
Old 11-21-2005 | 12:08 PM

What's amusing about this is the newspaper story's referring to the 10-15 mph overage as "just a little bit." In many parts of the country, that's a lot.

I just moved here from New Mexico, where the rule of thumb is that you're OK as long as you're 7 mph or less over, for example. In the midwest, it's more like 5.

That said, I agree with the main sentiment here: you go anything less than than 15 over and you're looking to get rear-ended around these parts. HPH
Old 11-21-2005 | 02:33 PM

Yeah!! Let's crack down on those n'eer-do-wells who are doing 10-15 mph over the limit! They are a TRUE threat to our society. We need to teach those criminals a lesson!!!

Somebody get me a rope so I can hang myself already...
Old 11-21-2005 | 03:32 PM
d.h

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Nov 21 2005, 05:08 PM
What's amusing about this is the newspaper story's referring to the 10-15 mph overage as "just a little bit." In many parts of the country, that's a lot.

I just moved here from New Mexico, where the rule of thumb is that you're OK as long as you're 7 mph or less over, for example. In the midwest, it's more like 5.

That said, I agree with the main sentiment here: you go anything less than than 15 over and you're looking to get rear-ended around these parts. HPH
Yeah, but keep in mind that it's Miami. And second, I moved from up north myself, and people do about 7 mph over because their speed limit on the highway is 65-70(not generalizing on the whole country, but most states up Northeast). When I arrived at Miami and saw 55mph on the highway, I'm like what are these people smokin?

I think the FHP need to spend little less time on the donuts and more time on the crazy ass BMW and Bens drivers who goes 90mph on the highway. Not to mention the gangs of motorcycle that zoom by cars at like 120mph. Oh sorry, I almost forget, the Impalas and the beat-up, brought from the police salvage yard, Crown Vic's.
Old 11-22-2005 | 04:41 AM
mav

Originally Posted by d.h,Nov 21 2005, 07:32 PM
crazy ass BMW and Bens drivers
Hey lets not generalize all BMW drivers as crazy.
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:15 AM

Too bad the worthless FHP doesnt have something better to do. This is a ****ing joke.
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:35 AM

What else is florida HIGHWAY patrol going to do? Pull people for exhausts?

Oh wait, they tried that too and pissed everyone off. Guess they are running out of options.

Seriously though. Enforce the HOV lane. People who carpool deserve to be rewarded, not made part of the jam by the fact that 35% of the HOV lane is single person cars....

Quick Reply: State troopers to target those barely speeding