South Florida Owners from South Florida

Question About PRM Intake

Old 04-28-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

With regard to heat soak and the PRM:

The straight-through design filter is protected from direct heat because it is inside the canister.

The aluminum tubing gets warmed up by the ambient engine bay temperature, but the theory is that the air passes through the tube so quickly, there are no real gains to be made by insulating the tube or using a carbon fiber or silicone tube (which retain less heat than aluminum).

All of the full CAI systems have more exposed aluminum inside the engine compartment than the PRM, therefore, they will likely produce more conducted heat soak than the PRM.

Other devices that can be used to help reduce the intake temerature are an engine block heat shield, and a vented hood (see my pics).

-Pete
Old 04-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly... Most dynoed increase on the S2000 with intakes are within the error range of the dyno.

If it were me I would not buy the PRM intake. It is injesting hot air from underneath the hood, and further heating it from the side of the engine block. The little opening you are showing from that angle isn't really ideal.

If I were to buy an intake I would buy a Mugen or a Comptech, although the comptech is essentially intaking air from the same place, the outer box is shielding the air from heat.

I would also consider a Spoon snorkel or clone to get cool air into the stock box. I made my own cold air intake by using a naca duct in my front grill and tubing right into my airbox.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithD
Honestly... Most dynoed increase on the S2000 with intakes are within the error range of the dyno.

If it were me I would not buy the PRM intake.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Fyrestrike
There have also been dynos here locally involving Richie's car that proved that the intake loses power but hey, if you think you will hydrolock with the stock airbox, I guess the 3whp loss from the PRM is worth it right?
What dyno's???

I never had a baseline done before the PRM was on. Just because it didn't put out the same exact HP as your car does not mean it lost power. I could have started out with less.

I have never seen proof that the PRM loses power. Just because you guys agree that it does with no proof does not make it true.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithD

If it were me I would not buy the PRM intake.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled 214.1 with PRM and Invidia Exhuast.. Nice gains and PRM sounds like that sh*t to.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:51 PM

"I pulled 214.1 with PRM and Invidia Exhuast.. Nice gains and PRM sounds like that sh*t to."

Sounds like what shit?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol.. typo.. meant to say.. sounds like da shiti
Old 04-29-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by COjOi
"I pulled 214.1 with PRM and Invidia Exhuast.. Nice gains and PRM sounds like that sh*t to."

Sounds like what shit?
Sounds like THE SH!T!!!

The PRM has the rep for making an awesome intake note. You should really check it out before you purchase another intake.

I have not seen any dyno charts where there have been HP losses with the PRM.

-Pete
Old 04-29-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Fyrestrike
There have also been dynos here locally involving Richie's car that proved that the intake loses power but hey, if you think you will hydrolock with the stock airbox, I guess the 3whp loss from the PRM is worth it right?
that is such a crock of shit alex. first off Richie didnt have a baseline to measure up too so how coul dhe have a loss? your assuming that he would dyno at the same as everyone else?

Furthermore, when a member, including you, wants to sell somethething as Mitch wants to sell his PRM, it would be nice not to shoot his sale up with bullshit opinions as you and jonathan have done.

Your opinions are usually valued, as for this time, you just talking out your ass.

Quick Reply: Question About PRM Intake