South Florida Owners from South Florida

Put my S2 in storage

Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put my S2 in storage

Hi everyone. Still rockin' my S2, but still super paranoid about another incident involving a top cutting and leather seat slashing (since i have the seat locks they couldn't be stolen). So after parking it at a couple friends' houses since that incident in August, both their HOA's don't allow non-residents to park in the neighborhood anymore, so finally i said screw it.

I'm paying $155/mo ($1 for the first month) to park it in a 10x20 storage unit while i drive my other car, an Accord, 4 days out of the week. Works out really well, b/c it's totally secure and safe, with a disc lock on the steel door, and it stays totally clean and shiny while parked in there! 3 days a week i switch and put my Accord in there and drive the S2, but the gate won't open after 9pm at the storage facility so i have to get it back in there by then, which isn't as inconvenient as i thought it would be.

Sounds extreme but trying to find a garaged apartment is tough, and they go for at least $1200 for a 1 bed. This way i save money and the car is super safe. $900 for rent plus the $155.

Still thinking of an alarm but still, all it takes is a quick knifing to the top and the damage is done; i'd still have to pay my deductible for it to be fixed, and make yet another claim on my insurance.

Another thought floating in my head is selling both Honda's and getting a Z4 or an M3. Both personal faves. But i love both my cars so much, the S2 only has 38k miles on it. They both look so good for their age! I'm super attached, to the Accord even more so since i've had it almost 10 years.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:54 PM

jesus... $155 a month... well i guess you could consider it another insurance payment? just be careful that someone finds out that the car is in there and breaks in and takes it while your not around
Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 PM

that not a bad price for storage I used to pay $180 at a public storage . What type of storage is this if you dont mind me asking? Im looking something in the same price range
Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 AM

I'd say still get an alarm. Get a proximity sensor so they wont slash your top. Are you parking it in the garage while you're out on a date, or visiting a friend? The Garage might make you sleep better, but the alarm will make you feel better when you're out and about. Just my .02.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey all, well I feel this is by far the safest, most secure option if I plan to keep the car at all. I live in a so-so apartment, the area could be better but could be much worse.

After August's attack, where it was parked under bright lights about 12 feet in front of another ground-floor apartment, I felt that unfortunately this car is too vulnerable to be left outdoors at night, at least as long as I live in South Florida!

Yes it's at a Public Storage, however for the same 10x20 unit at another Public Storage a mile up the road the price is upper $200s, which is too outrageous I think. I got a cheaper price by calling the 1-800 Public Storage number and they applied some specials they're running and it came to $155 (also cheaper b/c I said I planned to keep it in there for 6 mos or more).

The alarm is a great idea when/if I should park it anywhere other than the storage unit, but taking the Accord instead gives me peace of mind.

Maybe when all this mortgage shit dies down I can finally buy a place with a garage!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$155 is nothing, try paying double that in NYC!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by badmonkey,Mar 22 2008, 06:37 AM
I'd say still get an alarm. Get a proximity sensor so they wont slash your top. Are you parking it in the garage while you're out on a date, or visiting a friend? The Garage might make you sleep better, but the alarm will make you feel better when you're out and about. Just my .02.
thats what i did and no one has ****ed with my car sence proximity sensor ftw
Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by vollrathian,Mar 22 2008, 11:25 PM
thats what i did and no one has ****ed with my car sence proximity sensor ftw
an alrm is a deterent. the LED will keep most away. the prox sensor should do the rest.

If you're worried about the top, don't lock the doors.

the vast majority of S2000's with alarms do not get hit...end of story.

good deal on the storage unit, that is one way to keep her safe. get an alarm for the other 3 days of the week