South Florida Owners from South Florida

New CO for South Florida - Nominations!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts
Default New CO for South Florida - Nominations!

Hey everyone,

So my responsibilities with school and work have increased, and I no longer have the time to organize as many meets as I used to. MugenAP2 has sold his car and is pretty much out of the S2000 community in regards to organizing things, so I'm looking for someone to take on the responsibility of becoming a CO and helping me out a bit.

The job of a CO is to organize meets (although you DO NOT have to be a CO to organize a meet), help other members with questions, moderate this subforum, and represent this community in a positive light. A CO does not need the flashiest car, nor the nicest house, but needs to be resourceful and a good communicator.

I nominate rockstar143 to be the next South Florida CO. He has experience as an Acurazine CO, and has a passion for his S.

Any other nominations will be taken into account and voted on in a weeks time. I am open to any and all suggestions, please let your voices be heard.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you Ricky, I am seriously honored that you feel I'd be good at sharing the responsibility. I would be glad to help out for the Broward folk...as I normally openly state on Acurazine, I'm not the most willing to drive far for a meet, but when I say I'll be there, I will...to hold the spot, figure out food/bbq coordination, take pictures, set up rolling shots and really, just build friendships with people with a like mind and passion for cars.

I state the same caveat on Acurazine...people like to suggest stuff but I'm nothing special...just a coordinator, I push them to make their own meets/threads and I'm glad to share with whomever I can, moderate, clean up etc...AZ and more recently S2KI have become a 2nd home for me online and I've met some seriously great and cool people on here (you come to mind, actually). I do hold that in a high regard and would be glad to ensure that overall plight gets carried on.

Generally, the meets I've set up in the past cater to the people just getting together and hanging out. Over the years, having been involved in many forums and different cars, you see familiar faces and it's always nice to catch up and create a semblance of family. Fun to see what's new with each other's cars, ideas etc...nobody standing around taking themselves too seriously. I'm happy whether there are 10 people that show up, or 100 (like the most recent one at Acura of PP)...it's the quality that counts.

See you all around!

J
Old 04-21-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broward meets would be nice
Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 AM

I concur!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM

My schedule is way to unpredictable to nominate myself but I am more than happy to help coordinate and lend a hand.

This section is in dire need of revamping. I am also going to point out the 800 lbs gorilla in the room by the name of theft. I think we need to be very careful how we spread the word and coordinate meets. Just something I been picking up on about this area. I hope I'm wrong but doubt it.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 AM

WTF...that hadn't even crossed my mind. Please elaborate...I'm serious. What, people doing inventory and taking down tags/vins...following home...getting keys made.

Fk...back to the mid 90's!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Hey everyone,

So my responsibilities with school and work have increased, and I no longer have the time to organize as many meets as I used to.
Your free time decreases coincidentally the same time mine increases. WTF Ricky!?

Originally Posted by rockstar143
WTF...that hadn't even crossed my mind. Please elaborate...I'm serious. What, people doing inventory and taking down tags/vins...following home...getting keys made.
Back in 08 or 09 when the Thursday night S2000 meets use to go on at Towers, there was a night when a clapped out Civic followed me all the way from Davie to Miramar. I went to the gas station and waited for him for a little chat but I guess he knew I was on to him at that point so he left. Seems like some of these low life scumbags caught on to the weekly meets and it was at that point that we never ventured very far from the cars anymore.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Presto123
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1429645888' post='23586255
Hey everyone,

So my responsibilities with school and work have increased, and I no longer have the time to organize as many meets as I used to.
Your free time decreases coincidentally the same time mine increases. WTF Ricky!?

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Back in 08 or 09 when the Thursday night S2000 meets use to go on at Towers, there was a night when a clapped out Civic followed me all the way from Davie to Miramar. I went to the gas station and waited for him for a little chat but I guess he knew I was on to him at that point so he left. Seems like some of these low life scumbags caught on to the weekly meets and it was at that point that we never ventured very far from the cars anymore.
It sucks but even when I first moved down I started to set up a couple of meets. Once I noticed some unsavory characters start to show up and not even mingle and stare oddly over... I opted to not do the meets at SmashBurger on Pines anymore. I met a couple of really good people. It's a just a shame we have to deal with this.

One of the things I also notice is how we get more and more hits from guests on pages than we do actual paying members of s2ki.

I have a few suggestions.

I highly recommend that anytime pics are posted, that the plates are blurred.
Always be alert to who shows up to the meets.
Never take a straight way home. That gas station stop is a great idea that.
Look out for each other and get to know s2ki friends
When you go to a meet, cover your vin
Don't show off your car bling to loud to people you don't know
Please, for God's sake protect your S with a decent alarm and theft deterants!!!!

We obviously have a theft problem in NY but the one thing that has actually recovered a vehicle is being a tight knit community. Anytime something shows up on CL we post it in the event someone just got jacked. We post up security advice and always spread the word and keep eyes open when a car gets taken.

This obviously is a real negative stigma that follows the Honda world and ruins it for the best of us.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Theft is bad in a few specific areas in Dade, and it seems like all of Broward, lol. My car doesn't leave the garage anymore unless it's for a meet or a track day. That, and it's registered two counties away at my mom's house. Thieves can go f@#k themselves.

One of the reasons we moved the weekly meets from Flanigans to the Ale House in Pinecrest is because parking sucked. Now, we park our cars where we can see them from the balcony. I even leave my soft top down most of the time.The combination of being in a safe area, within visual range, and my alarm activated means I never worry. Just gotta be careful where you leave your car overnight. Mine lives in a garage with two sets of locks, a new security system, and me/my shotguns. Ain't nobody taking it.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Mine lives in a garage with two sets of locks, a new security system, and me/my shotguns. Ain't nobody taking it.
One of the main reasons I never had an issue with my S2000 even with the factory alarm. It spent every single night in a garage for 7.5 years and I avoided leaving it unattended in Kendall, Pines, Boca and other high theft areas as much as I could.

In fact, the chick who does my girl's eyebrows had her AP1 totaled a month ago due to a slashed top and stolen seats on 88th and 152nd street in Kendall. The crazy part about this is that my friend lives on 88th and 153rd and my S used to spend a good amount of time parked out there (never overnight).

Quick Reply: New CO for South Florida - Nominations!