South Florida Owners from South Florida

Need locals' opinions on tire choice

Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need locals' opinions on tire choice

So I've read several reviews in the tire and rim section and did quite a bit of searching in regards to the different tire choices that are available but I'm having some trouble committing to any of them. I live in Fort Lauderdale and commute to north Miami every day but drive pretty spirited all the time. I remember speaking to Josh and a few of the other FFP guys in Daytona during SC4 (beach photoshoot sesh) and everyone was pretty much set on the RS3's. I've read some pretty decent reviews on them but I'm curious as to their tread wear as well as their wet driving abilities considering how often I have to drive in rain and not to mention all the sketchy construction zones on the highways. I'm currently running the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and couldn't be happier but they are now discontinued so they're impossible to find. Any opinions or personal experience on the RS3's or a comparable tire for local driving?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Your current tires are now replaced with a newer version ZII http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

I have only been here in South FL for less than a year and currently still on my Conti DWS. I don't recommend those since you won't need them. I had these because I used to live up north and drive all year round. I will most like be replacing them with the ZII because of my experience with the original set that you have. I have heard that the new version is still amazing in the wet like previous.

Hope this helps a little ..
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stay away from KDW's! they suck elephant testicales!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Both tires are awesome. Both are amazing street tires and while also very good for auto-x or track duty; rain or dry. The Dunlop Star Spec is a bit quieter and does very well in the rain, but costs a bit more. My personal preference is the Dunlop's but honestly, it comes down to getting the tire size you want and budget.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes!
Brian.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought some BFG Rivals. I haven't had a chance to get too "spirited" with them, yet, but the way they feel certainly inspires confidence.

But they might not be the best for you, because I hear they're not very good in the wet, and that they're super-soft. Not sure what the treadwear rating is, but it's apparently pretty low.

Before these, I had Bridgestone RE-11s, and those were pretty good for daily driving. I wasn't happy with their grip in Auto-X though, which is why I made the switch.