South Florida Owners from South Florida

Misery...new S2000...330 miles...wrecked

Old 08-22-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misery...new S2000...330 miles...wrecked

This is a super-sh!tty way to start off posting on this board. I picked up my car on August 12 and have had it barely more than a week before some @sshole goes and bends it for me.

I was coming home from the beach early this morning (2:30 am) and a cab driver blew a red light, hitting me square on the driver's side front wheel. Thankfully me and my passenger are ok, except for some soreness in my left shoulder from hitting the door upon impact. There was nothing I could do and didn't even see the guy coming because of a pickup that was sitting in the lane next to me. I nearly always pause a second when the light turns green, except this wasn't a major intersection, so I didn't think much of it. Of course, my first instinct was to rip the cab driver's heart out, but beating the crap out of this guy wouldn't exactly help my case with the cops. A buddy was behind me in a seperate car and saw the whole thing happen, but I couldn't use him as a witness since I know him. The cops ended up giving nobody a ticket, even despite a security guard coming out and saying he heard the crash and saw that I had a green light.

Now comes the hard part: how can I make sure my car is returned to me in like-new condition? I'm going to need a new front bumper, left front quarter panel, left headlight, rim, and most probably some suspension work (I have mad camber now, yo). From the looks of it, there's no frame damage, so I think I got very lucky there. Since my S2000's paint is so new, would it be wise to request that the body shop not blend the paint with the panels that were unharmed? The last thing I want on my brand new car is overspray.

I've never actually been in an accident before, but have had a dealer crash a car of mine and the repairs were terrible. There was overspray all over the car and the paint generally ended up looking like garbage. I'm planning on taking my car to Countach Automobile Refinishing and Coachwork, off Douglas Road in the Gables. They do work on a lot of high-end cars from the Collection and the like, so I figure that's probably a good place to have the work done (I've heard good things). If you guys know anything about local bodyshops that I don't, please let me know, since this is something that I haven't had to deal with before really.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:56 PM

Man, I'm sorry this happened to you bro. Miami Chassis is good. Keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Well, first welcome to the club! Second, sorry to hear about the accident. Since, no ticket what is your insurance company saying about fixing? Hopefully, this won't be added to your record and make premiums go up.

As far as bodyshops go, I have had work done at G.A.S. in Ft. Lauderdale and at Schmidts in Lake Worth. Both I have had good experience. Don't know any good shops in Miami. Best of luck with the repairs!

Deiger
Old 08-22-2004, 02:32 PM

sorry this happened, a somewhat similar situation happened with me and my car. What you can try to do is try to make their insurance buy you another whole new car and give them that car as is, depending on the amount of damage. Give the insurance a call and see what they can do.
rashel
Old 08-23-2004, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident - and on a car so new, that really sucks. I have some suggestions and comments:

1) Even though the cab driver was not issued a ticket, that doesn't mean your insurance company won't be able to collect from the cab driver's company.

2) Make certain that you take the car to an excellent body shop. Pay no attention if the insurance company suggests you take it to their "approved" repair facility. They may even try to strong-arm you with statements like "we'll warrantee the repair for as long as you own the car, but only if you use our facility". Dont' listen to it. They are required to repair your car to the same condition that is was in before the accident. Make sure that all damaged suspension components are replaced and that the car is realigned properly. Make sure the wheel is not bent.

3) Since the car is so new, Ruby's suggestion may have some merit. Usually the insurance company will not total a car unless the repair cost exceeds 75-80% of the car's value. From your description of the damage, I doubt you'll meet that criterion. But, you do have the argument that your brand-new car has been decreased in value in a way that can never be recovered, and the only way to fix the car so that it is in the same condition as before is by replacement. This will be a tough sell, though.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:10 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar situation... My 9 month old S2000 was rear ended. Once it was hit, I no longer wanted the car since it will never be the same again IMO. There was frame damage, but they fixed it anyways. So I fixed it, traded it in for a new one. Then I filed for secondary depreciation of value claim.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I went out to the towing yard today and looked at the damage for the first time in the daylight. I would love it if the insurance company gave the go-ahead to purchase a new car, but like coraldoc said, that isn't very likely to happen with the damage I have.

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Under the hood, everything looks fine (as new). The frame seems to be straight and I don't have any damage to my strut towers. I think it'll come down to some cosmetic work, the replacement of some suspension components, and a good alignment job. The thing I'm most worried about now is getting a factory-like paint job, which I know is damn near impossible. As I said before, the shop I'm taking the car to mainly works on high-dollar cars, and I'll be pushing for the high-dollar treatment on my car. I'm hoping the end result will be unnoticeable to all but the most discerning eyes.

Back to one of my original questions: being that the paint on my car is so new and more than likely has not faded much since it left the factory, should I request that the bodyshop not blend it with the panels that were not damaged in the accident? I don't want any more new paint on the car than is absolutely necessary. I realize that the vast majority of us on this forum aren't body ship people, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'll post before and after pics of the car once I get it back. Thanks again for the comments, everyone!