South Florida Owners from South Florida

Help a local s2k owner diagnose a sound

Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a local s2k owner diagnose a sound

Hey fellow so-fla members,

I'm a local s2k owner (miami). It's a 2004 with now 5,xxx miles on it. I've got a sound that seems to show up (most obviously) around 3000-4000 RPMS. It's like a clicking/tapping sound that almost resembles a baseball card in the spoke of a wheel. I swear it was not there before. Once you get to highway speeds you cannot hear it, once you get into higher RPM's even at lower speeds you cannot hear it. The best spot to hear it is around 3-4k rpms in 1st or second gear. Any higher than that and the natural sound of the car is simply to loud to hear it.

It's driving me crazy. I've taken it to Beach Honda in north miami beach and let their service rep listen to it and he said he didn't hear anything. I also let some other ppl listen to it and they didn't hear anything, but I think you would have to be used to listening to this motor on a regular basis to diagnose it. Can anyone recommend a good local dealer who actually knows the S2k? I've heard Rick Case honda has a mechanic who is an owner. They are about 45 mins away, but if worse comes to worse I might drive up there. I'd settle for any dealership who even has an employee who knows the car decently well (or a local member for that matter).

Thanks in advance,

- J
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM

I think I've got the same sound as you. My S is a 2001 w/ 50,xxx miles. billman250 usually says it's the timing chain auto tensioner making the noise you described. I'll try to find his post.

here you go: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...hl=timing+chain
Old 01-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound funny, but mine has made that noise when its due for an oil change. Its done it several times and then dissappears once I do the oil change. Its a very faint sound. I hear it best when I'm in my parking garage.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:16 PM

I've heard both of those theories. I think the timing belt tensioner problem has the symptom of it being noisy at idle though, and mine is not that way.

The oil change thing I suppose is possible. I changed my oil last about 3,500 miles ago. Seems unlikely that it is getting noisy in just that time? That oil change was only a month ago as I put about 2,000 miles on the car the week of Christmas going up north to visit family.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Thought the break in prior to going to synthetics is 7,000 miles. Might try a change to synthetics. Mine used to burn a bit of oil when I first bought it - more than usual - switched to Mobil 1 and it now goes through about half of what it used to.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:55 PM

I've heard Rick Case honda has a mechanic who is an owner. They are about 45 mins away, but if worse comes to worse I might drive up there.
He no longer works at Rick Case. Eddy F. is still a service writer at Rick Case and he is an owner...not for long though....And Luis is the S2000 Mech. at Rick Case -- he is not an owner of an S though.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:58 PM

Well thats the thing, mine doesn't seem to be burning any oil at all. It's totally full on the dipstick. Those of you who say you needed to change the oil for the clicking noise, was your oil reading low?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Rick Case. Ask for Eddie and ask that you want Louie to work on your car. Hes not an S2000 owner but that doesn't matter. He is extremely knowledgable and very good on the S2000. So is Eddie. I trust them completely with mine.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILO52,Jan 17 2006, 08:24 PM
billman250 usually says it's the timing chain auto tensioner making the noise you described. I'll try to find his post.

here you go: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...hl=timing+chain
If Bill says it's the timing chain, be willing to bet that that is what the problem is. He is the man when it comes to this stuff and is pretty much the only mechanic who the whole NY Metro crew trusts their cars to.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 PM

Swing by the meet and have a couple other "ears" listen to the sound.

Quick Reply: Help a local s2k owner diagnose a sound