South Florida Owners from South Florida

Help a brotha out!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a brotha out!

So I finally installed my EK fogs yesterday, and after the all the wiring the time comes to test them out and POP, there goes a fuse. The fuse im blowing is between the battery and the relay for the fogs. Now the whole installation seemed pretty straight forward (its not rocket science), but im dumbfounded by what I did wrong. Everything is all plugged up together right, and i used two existing grounds, so I cant figure out WTF is wrong. Any ideas?

Andres
Old 07-30-2007, 01:46 PM

I forgot to mention that the supplied fuse is 15 amps, ive tried as high as 30 amps, but im hesitant to continue going up in amperage. My understanding of electrical wiring isnt outstanding, but I can imagine that it wouldnt be good.

Also, the lights do come on for a split second before the fuse pops.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have the ground for the relay crossed or wired backwards
Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by notamaster,Jul 30 2007, 04:57 PM
You might have the ground for the relay crossed or wired backwards
I thought that may be a problem, but it all plugs together. I didnt have to do any of the actual wiring. If thats the case then it came fuk.ced up from the manufacturer.

Andres
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Remenber that most automotive relays use only one ground and one signal for your switch. The other 2 terninals are for power from the batt to the light. Were is the fuse located? Is it before the relay or after the relay?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 PM

before the relay
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM

The relay might have a internal short. How many wires go into the relay is it 4 ? Just unplug at the lights to check is there isn't a short there and work your way back.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Damn that sucks I hope when i install mine 2marrow i dont run into the same problem. I had a similar problem on my 91 SE-R with a SR20 swap, the fuse that was installed for the fan switch i had kept blowing, turns out it was a wiring problem. Id go back and check the wires, grounds, and all other connections involved with the fog lights. I hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM

The relay has 4 wires, one from the battery and the rest that make up the harness, I would assume that there is a power, ground, and signal wire.

What sucks is that I have to take off the bumper again to fix the problem.

Andres
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

First check the wires at the relay plug . You shold have 1 ground , a constant power , switch power in and output. There is almost allways a small diagram on the relay itself to help out. First get you test light and unplug the relay. Test is there is signal fron you switch to the switch power at the relay. Next make sure that the output wire is not grounding out going to the lights themselves. With the power wire to the lights removed you could make sure the relay works if you here it click when you turn on the power. If the lights falsh for a spit second before the fuse blows that sounds like you might have a wire crossed at the lights

Quick Reply: Help a brotha out!