South Florida Owners from South Florida

GT 4

Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mav,Jan 10 2005, 12:18 AM
I played a demo of Forza and it sucks compared to GT4. Graphics are inferior, 200 some odd cars versus 710, none of the special GT4 modes, like B-Spec and Photo Mode and oh don't try to brake when going into a turn, you'll end up spinning every time.

GT4 has 12 confirmed S2000's...

2004 Amuse S2000
2004 Amuse S2000 GT1
2004 Amuse S2000 R1
2000 Honda Mugen S2000
2003 Honda S2000
2001 Honda S2000
2001 Honda S2000 LM Edition
2003 Honda S2000 Type-V
2001 Honda S2000 Type-V
2004 Opera S2000
2000 Spoon S2000
2000 Spoon S2000 Race Car

... and 2 rumored secret ones...

ASM S2000
J's Racing S2000

You can go online with GT4 using XLink Kai.
I suppose if you don't like TRUE simulation, then you'll prefer GT4. Your opinion seems to differ from just about every gaming website/publication that has test-driven the game so far. Try the Forza demo again and turn off traction control and ABS. There is not a more accurate racing sim on a console.

As for the number of cars, anyone familiar with the GT series knows that they give you countless versions of the same vehicle and many of them vary insignificantly -- if at all -- in performance. The diffference is primarily cosmetic across most of the versions within the same model line. The car list for Forza provides a better list of car manufacturers -- including makers such as Ferrari that you cannot get in GT4 -- but doesn't give you 27 versions of the Honda Civic SI. That's a worthwhile tradeoff in my book. Enzo =

As for the graphics, we'll have to wait and see. The only track on the Forza demo is Laguna Seca, which is not that pleasing to look at in real life (minimal landscape candy, tons of sand, etc). The car models in the demo looked fantastic. The fact that the Xbox is a far superior machine in the processing and hardware departments (733mhz processor vs. 250mhz processor in the PS2) -- and that Forza is being developed for the Xbox hardware exclusively -- gives the development team a significant advantage in the this area. Personally, my experience is that PS2 games look like crap on my 55" hi-def widescreen TV when compared to Xbox games (For example, I've seen PS2 Madden 2005 and Xbox Madden 2005 both on my TV and the PS2 game looked like a Sega Genesis game in comparison).

If I have to choose one or the other, I'll take Forza over GT4 because it will give me the ability to play against up to seven other racers online (...and remember, only broadband is supported on the Xbox ). In addition, I'll be able download new tracks and new cars onto the Xbox's 8 gig harddrive (...oh yeah, you don't have a harddrive either on your PS2 ). I'll be able to see how my time compares to everyone else's in the world each time I finish a race in career mode offline because the Xbox has real-time updating of international leaderboards and is always connected to the Internet. I'll be able to trade cars with other people around the world online. I'll be able to customize the paint on each of my cars with up to 100 layers of customizable skins (at the same time placed over one another). I'll be able to form a racing clan with my friends and we'll be able to compete against other racing "clubs" from around the world online. Etc, etc, etc...

Don't get me wrong. I'm a veteran of GT1, GT2 and GT3 and loved each game tremendously. I bought PS1 and PS2 primarily for the GT series (so I'm VERY familiar with the games).

Without a doubt they were the best console driving games when each was released. I simply don't believe that it is acceptable for Sony to release such an incredible game and not provide online functionality -- especially since the driving genre has produced so many incredible online titles on both the PS2 and Xbox over the last year or so. Perhaps Sony is putting their online efforts into GT5 for the PS3(?). Hmmm.

My $0.02.

Peace,
-->Taco
Old 01-10-2005, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=TacoMan,Jan 10 2005, 11:01 AM] In addition, I'll be able download new tracks and new cars onto the Xbox's 8 gig harddrive (...oh yeah, you don't have a harddrive either on your PS2
Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT4 will be the best simulator on the market. 710 cars, true engine sounds (Polyphony recorded real sounds from their real life counterparts), all cars will be within 1/10 second accurate to their real life counerparts racing on the same track. The physics engine is completely revamped. How much more accurate can it be?

Forza has Ferrari, but GT4 has the Amuse S2000 and BMW M3 CSL.

Graphically, GT4 supports 1080i for those that have HDTV.

GT4 is PS2's most extensive games ever made. Adding online to a software core that wasn't built around online adds great complexities. I read that Polyphony does have an online version working but its not perfected. I much rather have a perfect game without built-in online capabilities than a buggy GT4 w/ online. Forza is guaranteed to have bugs, afterall it is Microsoft who is producing it. Besides you can use XLink Kai and GT4's LAN capabilities for online play up to 6 players. Those with the already released Japanese version of GT4 has confirmed this.

Finally Forza can't do this...

Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic_S2k_04,Jan 10 2005, 11:36 AM
My Xbox hard drive has 210 gigs =P
and btw, there is a hard drive avaiable for the ps2.
Good input Sonic.

210 gigs. Nice. What are you using the space for? I'm no where near filling the 8 gig drive.

As for hard drive, the key word is "available" -- like the online pack that you have to also purchase. Because the hard drive and online pack are not built into the console, game makers have to assume for most games that the players don't have them -- or end up selling their games to a very small group of people. Because of this -- and the fact that PS2 online supports dial-up connections -- developers code games for the lowest common denominator. This is a very bad formula and a "fix" to combat the Xbox's online out-of-the-box capabilities.

Short story... GT4 will be an amazing offline game and most likely the best console offline racing game ever produced. Forza will be the best online racing game to date.

Let me know if you change your mind and can invite me to the time GT4 time trials.

Later,
-->Taco

P.S. Mav -- PGR2 had the BMW M3 CSL (it was a download after the game released), so I'd be surprised if they don't include it at some point in Forza.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:15 AM

My Xbox has this weird problem with it... where i can save games onto the hard drive and play them later =)... Each game is roughly a gig or so... it works out well.

Google Xenium mod chips, and you will be opend to a new world. Also realize, the games you save, you cant use with live....but can be used with Xb connect.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 AM
mav

Sonic, do you know of a local place that mods PS2's?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic_S2k_04,Jan 10 2005, 12:15 PM
My Xbox has this weird problem with it... where i can save games onto the hard drive and play them later =)... Each game is roughly a gig or so... it works out well.

Google Xenium mod chips, and you will be opend to a new world. Also realize, the games you save, you cant use with live....but can be used with Xb connect.
Very interesting. Thanks.

-->Taco
Old 01-10-2005, 09:12 AM

No sir, i have a tech head friend that did my Xbox... He offers no warranty, but i can see if he can do it... If you like.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:05 AM
mav

Some more photos... http://www.spam.com/pimp_racer_pb/gt4wallpapers.htm

I'm going to have so much fun with photomode! The wait for GT4 is owning me.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 AM
mav

My copy shipped out from Hong Kong today along with my JDM PS2... two more days until GT4 heaven.

Quick Reply: GT 4