South Florida Owners from South Florida

God.. hows lemon law work?

Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God.. hows lemon law work?

I don't get it.

I bought this car with 33,000 miles at Pompano Honda "Certified used" whatever.... I've put a total of 20 something thousand miles on it - 2 days after the initial purchase the car had a whining sound coming from the rear.. broken differential, great...

Was replaced at Pompano Honda under warranty...

Fast forward 5 months and 10,000 miles - Broken differential again, along with a bad wheel bearing. Again thankfully repaired under warranty.

Fast forward 3 months.. My car is now making weird "clunk" noises when coasting to stops or braking / Also if I blip the throttle in gear it clunks as if theres a loose mount or something right underneath the car (driveshaft?) - I also get a slight vibration coming from the rear passenger side tire on acceleration, wtf is that?

I don't drive aggresively at all, and after the 2nd differential was installed I BARELY ever hit VTEC!! let alone throw gears or launch the car this car has nooo freaking excuses to be making any more noise.. I have babied this car and it gives me nothing but trouble - I'm still good on my warranty for another 50k but man I'm sick of this and warranty coverage is awhole other fight..

I talked to Eddie to take the car in real soon just need to find the time... but please educate me on lemon law in summary. Because if it's anything severe again I'm seriously going to consider it - No car should be giving this much trouble after only a year of 2nd hand ownership.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:53 PM

http://www.floridalemon.com/index.html
Old 02-25-2005, 05:00 PM

is it a popping noise? try the spindle nut fix... you'll have to look it up.. i don't have the details...

does it sound like the differential?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok - I googled it & this seems to be the meat of what's w/ the Lemon Law.

"(3) It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the warranty if, during the Lemon Law rights period, either:

(a) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair at least three times by the manufacturer or its authorized service agent, plus a final attempt by the manufacturer to repair the motor vehicle if undertaken as provided for in paragraph (1)(a), and such nonconformity continues to exist; or

(b) The motor vehicle has been out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities by the manufacturer, or its authorized service agent, for a cumulative total of 30 or more days, 60 or more days in the case of a recreational vehicle, exclusive of downtime for routine maintenance prescribed by the owner's manual. The manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have had at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle following receipt of the notification as provided in paragraph (1)(b). The 30-day period, or 60-day period in the case of a recreational vehicle, may be extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of war, invasion, strike, fire, flood, or natural disaster.

(4) It is an affirmative defense to any claim under this chapter that:

(a) The alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle;

(b) The nonconformity is the result of an accident, abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications or alterations of the motor vehicle by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized service agent; or

Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "Lemon Law" is used only for vehicles purchased new and that had the problems begin within their factory warrantee period. It sounds like you've had your share of problems with the car, but I doubt the LL could be applied in your case since it is a second hand car and is out of the factory warrantee.

I think your best bet is to see what Eddie and Neil can do. The new problem may be unrelated to the earlier ones, so why not get some hard data first.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:09 PM

If it were me, I would fix it then ditch it (trade it in for another car). Two major problems and now a third issue has come to light, that's far to many serious issues to have on a car for my taste. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BocaS2000,Feb 26 2005, 03:09 AM
If it were me, I would fix it then ditch it (trade it in for another car). Two major problems and now a third issue has come to light, that's far to many serious issues to have on a car for my taste. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Who knows, maybe the 1st owner beat the hell out of it. If it's under warranty, I'd fix everything and drive it to dealership and trade it in.