South Florida Owners from South Florida

GM Tranny fluid or the New Honda Tranny fluid

Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Tranny fluid or the New Honda Tranny fluid

What do you guys think? The GM or the New Honda Tranny Fluid? My engagement is getting rough.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dario, are you on the original fluid? Also, was the engagement rough before or did it just start as the fluid aged? If it was not always there then you will probably benefit from just a fluid change.

Its a personal preferance, I ran the GM stuff and really liked it. It definitely had a different feel. I didn't run mine that long to find out myself, but most people say it doesn't last as long. The New Honda stuff is similiar, might not be quite as smooth but definitely smoother than the old stuff and rumour is it won't brake down as quickly as the GMSMFM.

Both are good fluids though! GM is probably a tad better, but if you want to stick OEM the new Honda stuff is a lot closer to the GM stuff than the older stuff.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:36 AM

yeah, just recently. Where did you get the new Honda mtf at?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 AM

I bought a case of it as we did a few other s2000's recently. Two months ago it was almost impossble to find it from local dealers. You might be able to find them now though. I think the dealer on 8th street (I forget the name) was one of the ones that had it. If not I should be able to bring a few quarts up.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM

thanks sean, let me know and i'll bring you the money, if not i'll go and find some.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Lol we have a conversation going on in like three different threads at the same time.

Just called and checked. I have some spare quarts. I'm going to do mine for the fun of it that day, but I should have at least 4 spare quarts after that. So I'll reserve two for you in case you don't find any.

Now help me PC my car, lol.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM

i use the GM stuff in my S as well as all my other cars. i refuse to run anything else lol.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by M.A.R.C.,Jan 29 2007, 01:08 PM
i use the GM stuff in my S as well as all my other cars. i refuse to run anything else lol.
Yep its good stuff The new honda stuff is pretty good also, and about half the price. It really just depends on how your tranny is. Some people s2k owners feel their tranny is notchy all the time, in that case they usually benefit well from something like GMSMFM. However, some people feel their tranny runs just fine on the old Honda OEM stuff . . . in that case, might as well stay OEM and upgrade to the new stuff which is at least similiar in feel to the GM stuff anyway.

I think of the biggest things about the s2000 is the fact most people mistake its "mechanical feel" that the transmission for "notchyness." Its a direct linkage and it just feels different (and more direct) than other trannies that have a slushy feel. Although most hardcore people think this is a good thing, I think some people who arn't used to such a transmission feel will think its notchy and will go through a million fluids trying to perfect it.

That being said, the GM stuff is awesome in almost any manual car . . . and the new Honda stuff is pretty good too. In Dario's case where it worked fine when it was new and just seems to have degraded with time, I think he's fine with either one.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM

I actually switched back to the Honda from the GM. After a lot of high heat, I've found the GM stuff to breakdown, causing some rougher shifts.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM

I used the GM syncromesh stuff and it was good, now Im running red line and I find it a little tough for my taste so I might go back to GM or just give this new Honda one a try.

Quick Reply: GM Tranny fluid or the New Honda Tranny fluid