South Florida Owners from South Florida

Flashing Lights to warn of Speed Trap - illegal?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by GranPrix,May 27 2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry Dave, due to him flashing his lights repeatedly like it states in this section, 316.2397(7), he's guilty.

This section clearly needs to be revised because it pertains to hazards. Hazards are the only flashing lights that indicate turns, lane change, or disabled. But it doesn't say that, it just says Flashing, that's why he's guilty. It's sad but true.

Now anyone can argue, "how about when you flash your high-beams to let someone pass" or "how come the feature to flash your high-beams is in all cars".

This is where the lawyer comes in and can probably win this argument easily.

Also, this ticket could probably get dismissed because the cop won't show or "won't recall" because it's the dumbest citation for a cop to argue, and it's embarrassing to follow through with this type of citation in front of his peers, public and judge.
I'm going to go off on an OJ Simpson/President Clinton tangent:

Define 'flashing'. Is it once per second, 3 times per second, once per minute? When I turn my lights on, and 2 hours later, I turn them off--is that considered flashing? The length of time (on/off/on/off) for a flashing light is NOT mentioned in the statute.

The way the statute reads is that you cannot add 'flashing lights' to your vehicle (ie red/blue lights).

The statute does not prohibit you from flashing your lights.

*I don't know if you noticed this, but on some of the newer motorcycles, those headlights 'flash' --wouldn't they be illegal per the statute?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=zdave87,May 27 2009, 03:43 PM] I'm going to go off on an OJ Simpson/President Clinton tangent:

Define 'flashing'.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai,May 27 2009, 10:43 AM
my legislature and governemtn is too busy trying to figure out out to take money from me to pay for shit that I dont want my money to go towards.

They dont have time to hear about how rediculious some of thier laws are.

Another one that pisses me off to no end is the seat belt laws.

I'm not an idiot, i wear my seat belt 100% of the time and would never agree with anyone who chose not to.

What I can't undrestand though is how that law is constitutional at all. Its a complete infringment on your rights to do with your person whatever you like. You're not hurting anyone else, nor do you have the potential to hurt anyone but yourself. Why its a law will never make sense to me.
Seat belt law is nonsense until law do not requires to wear helmets for motorcycle riders.

P.S. I always wear belt.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by starbai,May 26 2009, 08:21 AM
If it was here in south florida I probably would.

But just realized that the cost of gas and toll and missing a day of work would be more expensive than the $96.

I wonder if I could write to them and tell them that I dont live any where near? perhaps they'll alow me to do it all by mail?
if you get a ticket lawyer your attendance inst required
Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vollrathian,Jun 1 2009, 09:47 PM
if you get a ticket lawyer your attendance inst required
Right but they usually charge close to $100, which is the cost of the ticket in the first place.

just suks thats all.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Is flashing your headlights illegal or a free speech issue?

An Oviedo law firm — the same one that persuaded a Seminole County judge to toss Cason's ticket — is asking a judge in Tallahassee to bar Florida cops from writing tickets when motorists flash their headlights. There is no Florida law that prohibits light-flashing, said Oviedo attorney J. Marcus Jones. He claims officers are simply twisting a law that was designed to prohibit drivers from adding after-market emergency lights to their vehicles.

When officers write those tickets, he said, they violate a driver's constitutional right to free speech. If motorists want to flash their lights to warn about a speed trap ahead, they are free to do so, according to his suit.

The suit, filed Wednesday, asks Circuit Judge James O. Shelfer in Tallahassee to certify the case as a class action on behalf of every motorist in Florida who was ticketed for that offense from 2005 to 2010.
I know, I know, it's a 2 year old thread-but hopefully the courts will rule on the side of the motorists & the state will have to reimburse drivers who have paid the fine.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Lets hope because they are stealing from people.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by GEDAS
"Judge Russ Heldman cleared Walker of all charges, saying that flashing lights to warn of a police officer is protected by the First Amendment."

Cops are thieves in uniform.

Ask what Ticket clinic have to say about your situation.

for the next person this happens to:
what is said above seems like a great reason to fight it. And who says you were "warning" others of the speed trap? I saw it myself. You saw a friend in a car you recognized passing by and you were simply saying hi, wern't you? of course you were. theres no case here. court. I would. look up at me. look down. now back to me. I'm on an s2000.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BrockB
" of course you were. theres no case here. court. I would. look up at me. look down. now back to me. I'm on an s2000."
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

All the people saying "pay it and move on" are why the police do this kind of stuff. Fight it. I've gotten out of a lot of bogus tickets. Just last month, I fought a speeding ticket and won. Took me about an hour, and saved me $275+. I'd say it was worth it

Read that statute VERY carefully. Chances are, you're being charged with a crime you didn't commit. Vehicles are sold in the USA with a "flash to pass" feature, aka flashable high beams. If it were illegal, this feature wouldn't be standard on all cars sold in the USA. The law they're accusing you of violating is meant for strobe lights.

Quick Reply: Flashing Lights to warn of Speed Trap - illegal?