South Florida Owners from South Florida

AutoX Events!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemaxx,Sep 21 2004, 07:35 PM
On the other hand, there have been a few 996s, which is nothing more than another name for a normally aspirated 911 Carrera.
Incorrecto! 996 is the chassis code for the current generation 911, applying to all variants of the Carrera and Turbo. Just as AP1 and E46 are chassis codes for the S2000 and M3 respectively.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PENROD, I couldn't have put it better. Nice job!

On the other hand, I do need to respond to Fyrestrike!

[/QUOTE]

That grey 996 Turbo ran at the PCA autocross event (not ER) at Hollywood and as you know, PCA doesn't run SCCA classes which means no ASP. Furthermore, that guy was my student.

[/QUOTE]

As for the 996 designation, I was referring to my car. Did I mention a 996 Turbo or 996 C4S? Nope! I was merely stating that there have been a few 996s out there like mine. If a Porsche owner says 996, it is implied that it is the normally aspirated 911. Otherwise, it should be said that it is a 996 Turbo or C4S.

[QUOTE]

I agree that Marcos is one hell of a driver but you are VERY wrong about his concerns with a geared S2000. Although the GT3 is a superior machine, it is definitely wrong to say that a geared S2000 with as good or better driver could not beat a decent driver (like Marcos) in a GT3. I know this because although Marco's GT3 is also superior to my car, he has YET to beat me at an autocross in it......"YET" is the key word there!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 AM

Obviously, my posting skills are not as good as they should be.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:13 AM

DING DING!!!

Get to your corners, guys.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 AM

James,

You coming down on Sunday? Hope to see you there!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemaxx,Sep 22 2004, 12:44 PM
PENROD, I couldn't have put it better. Nice job!

On the other hand, I do need to respond to Fyrestrike!
That grey 996 Turbo ran at the PCA autocross event (not ER) at Hollywood and as you know, PCA doesn't run SCCA classes which means no ASP. Furthermore, that guy was my student.

[/QUOTE]

As for the 996 designation, I was referring to my car. Did I mention a 996 Turbo or 996 C4S? Nope! I was merely stating that there have been a few 996s out there like mine. If a Porsche owner says 996, it is implied that it is the normally aspirated 911. Otherwise, it should be said that it is a 996 Turbo or C4S.

LOL.....Hardly Alex! After autocrossing for 15 years my ability speaks for itself (as you know). My only concern is for the LEGITIMATE competitors in ASP who should be getting a fair shot at a trophy. There is NO DOUBT that a geared S2000 is quite a formidable autocross car, regardless of the driver. Put a decent driver like youself in a geared S2000 and it makes it very unfair for those who are abiding but the rules!

On that thought, anyone who is knowingly running in any class with illegal mods deserves absolutely no respect and should get protested! All it takes is money and there are plenty of people with that.....On the other hand, if a driver is unknowingly running with illegal mods, well then it is time he/she get a Rule Book to re-class yourself.

BOTTOM LINE: Class yourself where you belong! [/QUOTE]
1. Learn how to quote properly.

2. Obviously you don't know anything about Porsche or model codes so stop talking from your ass. When Porsche owners speak about their 996, they are referring to the current generation model/chassis Porsche 911 model not an NA 911 Carrera. The 996 designation applies to ALL current generation 911's.

3. Honestly no one here gives a shit about S2000 gearing in ASP except for you. I don't have gears and I ain't bitching like a little girl on her period for the first time. Yes gearing certainly helps but a good driver in a stock S2000 will beat a $10K modded S2000 with gears, s/c, etc driven by an idiot. This has been proven time and time again.

4. STFU and leave it for the track.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE]Bluemaxx Posted on Sep 22 2004, 12:49 PM
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 PM

LOL.....Hardly Alex! After autocrossing for 15 years my ability speaks for itself (as you know). My only concern is for the LEGITIMATE competitors in ASP who should be getting a fair shot at a trophy. There is NO DOUBT that a geared S2000 is quite a formidable autocross car, regardless of the driver. Put a decent driver like youself in a geared S2000 and it makes it very unfair for those who are abiding but the rules!
That's rediculous, that would be like me saying that because I run Kumhos instead of Hoosiers that it makes it unfair for me because that tire is lightyears ahead of mine. A geared S2000 is as formidable as a stock geared S2000, there is no proof that on any given course 4.57's are any er than 4.10's or 3.56's.

On that thought, anyone who is knowingly running in any class with illegal mods deserves absolutely no respect and should get protested! All it takes is money and there are plenty of people with that.....On the other hand, if a driver is unknowingly running with illegal mods, well then it is time he/she get a Rule Book to re-class yourself.
1) I started the season with an ASP S2000, I then installed the gears for my personal enjoyment (nothing to do with auto-x) so I intend to finish the season in ASP.

2) I could give a rats ass about whether you respect me or not, I do this for fun, not for recognition.

3) If someone wants to protest me, they are welcome to. Most of ASP in both Ft. Myers and ER are S2000's who either also have gears, or don't care that others do. If you knew anything about cars (which by the way you talk about Porsches indicates that you know very little) you would know that different final drive ratios benefit different tracks. Therefore, in reality gears don't provide you with the advantage that say, 50hp or Hoosiers would.

Lastly, its funny this issue comes up because the reason I stopped running BS was because of Les in his MR-2 who was clearly cheating. At the time I wasn't very competitive but it still irritated me to see him running smaller wheels and high boost (both more advantageous than changing final drives).

P.S. I'm not sure who it is that I'm arguing with...
Old 09-22-2004, 01:24 PM

I used to own an Integra Type R, and visited the Honda-Tech.com site often. The difference I've seen between those owners and the S2000 owners is that the S2000 crowd seems to be a little more level headed and more of a true car enthusiast. I've heard alot of talk on this board about being professional, and trying to behave unlike the 'ricers' on other boards.

It seems that when owners of different vehicles step into 'our S2000 world' some owners get a little defensive. It takes some real restraint to take criticism about something you feel strongly about without putting up a fight. That being said, I have to side with Rich on this one. Not because I feel he is my friend, but because he has only stated the rules as they are written, as a standard that we all agreed to keep when we sign up to race with GCAC, SCCA, ER, EVSCC, PCA, or any other car club that you choose to race with. It is understood by the others that are racing in and out of your class that you know the rules, and you have classed your car to the best of your knowledge. If you knowingly have modified your car beyond what is allowed and not classed yourself appropriately, then you are not following the rules, and that is, by definition, cheating.

I hear Todd (Tmorrow) talk about that 'cheater' 911 and how he classes himself in BS illegally. That shouldn't happen, and Todd can attest to the situation that Rich is in. Rich asked me a while back how to handle this situation, and I had suggested he confront Alex in a polite manner and discuss this with him. Since there are other S2000's running in ASP with gears, I'm sure that is why he posted to this forum (not for the sole purpose of broadcasting everyone's dirty laundry to the entire SoFLA crew). I would suggest the same course of action for anyone else who chooses to protest other drivers.

Instead of arguing about why you are in a class that your not supposed to be in, why don't you (I'm referring to anyone who is modded beyond what their class allows) class your car as it should be.

As for Mav's responses:
I think a little restraint could go a long way!
[QUOTE]
3. Honestly no one here gives a shit about S2000 gearing in ASP except for you.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tmorrow,Sep 21 2004, 09:17 PM
But I'd love to see it protested. The protester has to pay the fee and pay to disassemble the pumkin. If he's wrong he pays for everything to be put back to factory specs (towing, shims, etc.).
That reminds me (as I chuckle a little)
At GCAC, they don't abide by SCCA rules regarding break down of vehicles (or anything else they choose to do). That's DSCC (Dave's Sports Car Club).
I've protested in the past and been told by Dave himself "It doesn't matter, that guy was a national champion, he's going to beat you anyway". Well, at the end of the day, I beat him, but that still pisses me off that he wouldn't back me on a protest.

Yeah, it bothers me too when people aren't classed properly.

Quick Reply: AutoX Events!