South Florida Owners from South Florida

AutoX Events!

Old 09-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly! So it sounds like those drivers need to re-think their classifications because gears are illegal in ASP and they WILL get protested and thrown out. Better to re-classify themselves now instead of being thrown out later. Besides, what is fair is fair. Heck, if gears were legal in ASP, I would be the first person to get them.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:13 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea damn cheaters! I'm telling on them this Sunday! Maybe I'll finally have a chance to bring home one of ER's cheeseball gold trophies. WooHoo!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:48 AM

LOL, MAV .....heck, this will be the first ER event I've done all year. If you take the class win, would you be so kind to throw me a bone and let me take 2nd Place?

After the ER event, it is time to head back over to GCAC again so that we can practice for BBC. I doubt I will give anyone a run for there money in Ft Myers because I will mostly be helping my wife get ready for Bay Bottom Crawl the following weekend. Hope to see everyone down there. After that, time to go to the State Championships in Brooksville....
Old 09-21-2004, 11:57 AM

The ASP 911T runs, and has always run, in stock. No one had ever cared to protest it but the chassis and engine are of different years, which is fine for street prepared but not stock. There's been talk of boost way beyond factory specs, as well. He's an awesome driver and makes that tail heavy beast do things it shouldn't but it IS an ASP car. But as long as no one says anything..... Just a heads up.

If anyone's interested in travelling, I update all of the Florida events that I know about on this site. There's a calendar link on the home page.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:35 PM

Todd,

I am not sure if we are talking about the same Porsche 911. You refer to the car you are thinking about as a "911T" which implies a 911 Turbo and there has not been a 911 Turbo in any stock or street prepared class at any GCAC or ER autocross event all year. On the other hand, there have been a few 996s, which is nothing more than another name for a normally aspirated 911 Carrera.

I am wondering if you are referring to that guy who drives the white 996? He was at the last GCAC event in ASP? If you are referring to him, well I know for a FACT that he only has springs, shocks, wheels and tires. The reason I know this is because it was ME! My chassis is completely stock as is my engine. In fact, there is nothing you can do to a 996 engine because it seriously conflicts with the engine management system. Heck, I can't even chip my car. Hopefully, you are not referring to me but just in case you are, please feel free to come by my tent anytime and check out my car. It is always available for people to see. Nothing to hide.

Of course, you could also be talking about Marcos Sowinski who entered his Porsche GT3 in Super Stock and his car should be in ASP. He is someone who will definitely be looking at the S2000s and the gear ratios......just a head's up!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 PM

I am not sure if we are talking about the same Porsche 911. You refer to the car you are thinking about as a "911T" which implies a 911 Turbo and there has not been a 911 Turbo in any stock or street prepared class at any GCAC or ER autocross event all year.
Wrong, there was a grey 911 Turbo that ran ASP once or twice at Hollywood (ER) and he ran ASP.

On the other hand, there have been a few 996s, which is nothing more than another name for a normally aspirated 911 Carrera.
Wrong again, 996 is a chassis code, it has nothing to do with aspiration. The 911 Turbo is a 996 just like a Carrera 4S is. This is similar to the Boxster chassis code (986) and the new 911 (997).

Of course, you could also be talking about Marcos Sowinski who entered his Porsche GT3 in Super Stock and his car should be in ASP. He is someone who will definitely be looking at the S2000s and the gear ratios......just a head's up!
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here, Marcos is one hell of a driver and considering his new machinery I seriously doubt he would concern himself with a geared S2000. The GT3 is a superior car to a Moton/Turbo/Stripped/Hoosiered S2000 in the hands of any driver with a set of hands and feet. It seems you are more concerned with S2000 gearing than any of the people you mention in your post....

Cheers
Old 09-21-2004, 06:17 PM

I'm talikng about a red '72 Turbo from Jax. that'll come to the State Championships. In BS we fear no other cars - bring on the Z's, Bxsters, etc. That's why we'll all be in AS next season...But the cheater 911T is fast as hell and can take out all but a few of the S2000 drivers in the state.

Final drive ratios make almost zero difference at an autocross. 95% of autocrosses, including GCAC courses, don't get beyond 2nd gear for the '00-'03's. The added acceleration is negated by the extra shifting. But I'd love to see it protested. The protester has to pay the fee and pay to disassemble the pumkin. If he's wrong he pays for everything to be put back to factory specs (towing, shims, etc.). I think the only plus would be the reinforced housing - wish I had one.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:32 AM

Hey guys a quote from Dave Hutter in regards to the Ft. Myers AutoX events:

NOTICE: Do to lack of interest, all Hurricanes are hereby cancelled for the weekend of October 2 & 3.

Due to Urgent need to drive as fast as possible around a bunch of Orange Cones we will host a double header the weekend of October 2 & 3. Sorry, No Test & Tune or Novice School that weekend. Saturday Oct 2 will be our cancelled Sept. Event, This will follow our time table that we use on Sundays, so get there early. Sundays course will have the start and finish lines switched and the course will be run counterclockwise. Sundays course will be the warm up for the " Bay Bottom Crawl " held in Key West the following weekend. Saturday and Sunday will count as seperate points events.

Please, Forward this e-mail to any other lists or websites that you belong to. Please notify any other autocrossers that you know as we will not be sending out a mailer.

Hope to see you all there,

Dave Hutter, Pres.
Gulfcoast Autocrossers
19700 Skipper Rd.
N.Ft. Myers, Fl. 33917
1-239-671-9951
www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com

Deiger
Old 09-22-2004, 04:25 AM

Instead of getting all fired up, why don't we all just class our cars as they should be? I can understand if the S2000 crowd wants to race in the same class, but that can be arranged in other ways than to wrongly class your car:
Cooperate with the organizers and create your own class
Class the car as the rulebook requires
Move up a class if needed and if possible

Regardless of WHO is interested in protesting, and who is going to bear the cost of the protest, the fact is that gears are not legal in ASP. Granted, SM2 might not be the class to be in if you want to win (depending on the region and the available competition), but If the S2000 with gears doesn't belong in ASP, then check the rulebook, check the results, and choose the appropriate class where you can be competitive.

WE'RE IN THIS FOR FUN GUYS!!!.
There's no money at stake on the regional level.
I think we can autocross together and have an honest professional attitued with regard to classing.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well stated James!

Quick Reply: AutoX Events!