Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Thread deletion/locking

Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thread deletion/locking

While this has happened in the past, a recent incident has finally prompted me to write about it. The "it" I'm talking about is the locking and/or deletion of a thread with no explanation, be it in the thread itself (in the case of it being locked), or by PM (in the case of thread deletion).

I can understand if a post breaks a forum's rules, but to remove the offending thread with no feedback as to the reason not only fails to educate posters on what was inappropriate about the material, it's also (IMO) disrespectful. I have put a lot of time, energy, and a small amount of money into this site over the last 4+ years. In those years, I feel that sometimes there is a lack of proper respect in how certain operations are carried out, with leaving posters uninformed about thread deletion/locking reason being at the top of my list.

A thread of mine, which has been ongoing for 2 years now, was recently deleted. No reason was provided, nor was I informed of the deletion itself... I noticed it simply because the link now appeared in the Dumpster, rather than S2000 Talk. What site rules were broken in the thread? If it was someone other than me, can they offending post be removed and the thread reinstated? If it was the post itself that warranted deletion, why was it allowed to remain for 2 years being brought to the top every couple of months, only to be deleted NOW after so much useful information has been poured into it by countless members?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I'm curious too. I was reading and contributed to that very thread just last night only to find it in the dumpster this morning. I didn't see anything that would warrant it at the time unless it was a later post than mine.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Taking a look into this.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious about it too...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Where is the Dumpster?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Shelley,

Any word on this one? I'd really like to have the thread (and the info in it) back...

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya...me too

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4287

i never got an explanation as to why this thread was locked? geez some of these moderators have power trips.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Revin9K,May 25 2005, 07:07 AM
ya...me too

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4287

i never got an explanation as to why this thread was locked? geez some of these moderators have power trips.

I think that one was dumped because it was over 5 years old and we have a place to show off our cars now: The Gallery. I don't have any power in this forum, so I can't dump it. I was just the idiot who didn't read the date before responding
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I closed that one to avoid anyone else making an arse of themselves
Old 05-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that's going to prevent it... There are plenty of threads left for me to do that on.