Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Search function (again/still)

Old 01-23-2004, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Search function (again/still)

Hi there,

I just found out that the search function still pretty much blows.

Although the date sort option is a huge improvement, it would be very usefull if I could actually get some search results.

Search keys such as "superlegga" gives me 1 result,
"superleg*" with the suggested wildcard gives 0 results,
"*superleg*" 0 results
"hond*" 0 results

Finally, it doesn't allow to search for terms of only two characters. So to find "OZ" is impossible.

Could you possible fix this very annoying shortcoming..?

Greetings!

Siepel
Old 01-23-2004, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to modify your search technique, because:

1)"superlegga" appears to be a mispelling to me... I'm not surprised you only get one result. I'm assuming what you're trying to search for is "superleggera".

2)my guess is the owners of the board have turned off wild card searches, because they tend to suck up a whole lot of CPU, which they probably don't have available. Be thankful there's ANY search functionality (trust me on this one... I run a large portion of the backend search for a huge company that I guarantee you've heard of. And the amount of money we spend on hardware to facilitate what you're asking for would boggle your mind).

3)Although not being able to do 2 letter searches can be a pain, it eliminates a lot of "garbage" searches, which again is only done to better your experience here by not slowing things down to a crawl performing searches that are going to turn up hits against every post ever made.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by heffergm
I think you need to modify your search technique, because:

1)"superlegga" appears to be a mispelling to me... I'm not surprised you only get one result. I'm assuming what you're trying to search for is "superleggera".

2)my guess is the owners of the board have turned off wild card searches, because they tend to suck up a whole lot of CPU, which they probably don't have available. Be thankful there's ANY search functionality (trust me on this one... I run a large portion of the backend search for a huge company that I guarantee you've heard of. And the amount of money we spend on hardware to facilitate what you're asking for would boggle your mind).

3)Although not being able to do 2 letter searches can be a pain, it eliminates a lot of "garbage" searches, which again is only done to better your experience here by not slowing things down to a crawl performing searches that are going to turn up hits against every post ever made.

Mispelling [sic] seems to be a misspelling to me

Okay, I confess, but that's where the wildcard should have come in though. Because this option is clearly suggested, I expected it to work.

Regards,

Siepel
Old 01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry you got the default vb one.

Everyone complained when we switched to one w/ better word matching and searching algorithm. Which of course had its own set of problems.

*shrug*