Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

re-setting S2ki mail password

Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

So I'm not the only one having problems with my email account.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like there are some errors getting printed out when you try to change passwords. This may be why it's not working. I've started setting up a test server to try out a few things. I'll let know know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I've pushed up the conversion of the mail system for v5 (oh God how I hate email). I'm working out the kinks on a test server and once it's running smoothly I'll bring it online. Give me a couple days, it should be going this weekend sometime.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant even access my email account. I have tried my original password and my new one and neither work anymore.
Can you see why thats not working. I need to retrieve my nsxprime password too..

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Chris, email support@s2ki.com for that
Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Dec 1 2005, 09:54 PM
I cant even access my email account. I have tried my original password and my new one and neither work anymore.
Can you see why thats not working. I need to retrieve my nsxprime password too..

Thank you.
Do you have "zeros" or the letter "O" in your original password? This really threw me at first because I couldn't tell whether it was the number "0" or the letter "O".
Old 12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Chris should be sorted now.

Here is an update on where i am with mail right now. First some background...

The mail server and the server software is the same as i originally installed over 3 years ago. I've updated with security patches but it's otherwise the same software we have always been using. My goal for "v5" is to change over to an entirely new mail server software suite (the mail server is made up of MANY different services: SMTP, POP, IMAP, webmail, virtual users, SPAM filters, virus scanners, the list goes on and on), one that is easier to understand and manage. We've gotten by up until now but it's a black box I can't get my head around. The new suite is much simpler to manage, runs better and makes some amount is sense to me.

At this point I have the core of the new software suite running and configured and it works great! It receives mail, I can retieve mail with POP, IMAP and webmail and I can even send mail -- something you can't do now but will be able to do in a couple of days when this is live.

There are two peices left to finish and 2 other tasks I need to still complete: SPAM/Virus filtering which I'm working on now (very complicated, more complex that all the other bits put together but I hate SPAM) and SSL/TLS with is encryption so you can send and receive your email over a secure channel without your password being visible. The SSL/TLS is all there I just need to configure it which I haven't done yet to KIS untill the other parts are done. After I get those two parts running I need to convert the accounts database to the new system (not hard), move all of the mail folders to the new server (not hard) and change the MyS2K email account activation pages to create email accounts under the new software.

I can't forget that I need to change the webmail skin, test all of the webmail account options like changing passwords and create a new webmail login page that has some added features like recovery of forgotten passwords and an option to save your login info in a cookie to speed and simplify the login process.

All in all still lots to do but I'm very happy with how things are going so far. I'm still looking at a go live target of Sunday. This is a substantial improvement over what we have now even if you don't understand a thing I've said till now. If you have an email account that is working well right now then you will see no changes and everything will appear to work exactly as it does now.

Those using IMAP to get your email will need to make a small change but I will send you an email message separately letting you know what you need to do. Here is a quick rundown of new and imporved features of your Member Email Accounts:

- Added support for sending email as well as receiving it
- Added sending email from a non-standard port so you can use the s2ki server to send email even if your ISP blocks the normal email port (these two features alone cost $20/year from service providers such as DynDNS!)
- Added support for SSL encryption between you and the mailserver for both sending and receiving email
- Forgotten password recovery
- Change email password
- Set email password when you activate your account
- Vacation auto-responses
- Forwarding email to another account
- Improved dual-action SPAM filter (we use two SPAM filters instead of just one)
- Turn on or off SPAM and Virus filters from email options
- Improved login including option to save login info as a cookie for webmail
- More stuff I can't remember...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Erik sorted everything out for me. Very simple..

Thanks again..
Old 12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Changing your email password is now working. Login to webmail with your current password and then choose Options -> Change Password. If you don't know what your current member email password is but you know you have one please PM me and I'll send it to you. If you don't have a member email account setup yet then please PM me and I'll set it up for you manually. Please see this topic for manual setup instructions.

Quick Reply: re-setting S2ki mail password