Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Post litter

Old 01-01-2002, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had several threads lately about increasing regulation and moderation. Is this what's up or is there more??? This is a non-problem for me. You can be a little more selective in what you follow. The post count thing is an interesting idea but I'm pretty sure a little self-regulation (both of posters and readers) will solve any problems.

Frankly, for me, if we're going to regulate something I'd like to regulate the subtle racism which seems to come in spikes (like right now.) Ask me whether I'd rather read "yup" or "I couldn't get a crummy job because I'm not Hispanic" or "retard" jokes. You know which ones I think are more pressing issues...
Old 01-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGal
[B]So, what is the solution?
Old 01-01-2002, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you don't want to remove the gears, just change the numbers. If you get to 6th by 250 posts, it's a non issue as well.

Either than, or find a post whore, and put them in reverse

I'd agree that there is getting to be a bit much of a competition. How about just some gentle disuassion of those pic's showing all the threads spammed in OT for example?

There's a similar issue in the UK forum with the topic wondering quite a bit - but that's often because there are not that many of us, a lot of us have met, so we're happy almost talking naturally and in shorthand. It does pollute things a bit, but it's the whole spirit like that that makes the whole board and UK community so good! I'd hate to lose any of that!

Just thinking aloud

-Brian.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:15 PM

Of the 6000+ registered members, we have a very tiny portion of post mongers (whores is such a vulgar word for this type of behaviour)

Anyway, let them just go ahead and reach their 6th gear and they will simmer down.

Just my 20,000 lire
Old 01-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I couldn't give two hoots about post whores as long as it remains contained to a particular thread or forum. If someone wants to be 'numero uno' it's of no concern to me. It doesn't affect my viewing pleasure as I just don't read those threads unless I want to. Post counts stand for nothing anyway. IMO the use of unoptimised multiple images in people's sigs poses a far greater problem to the smooth running of the board.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Muz
. IMO the use of unoptimised multiple images in people's sigs poses a far greater problem to the smooth running of the board.
I must say I've seen a marked incease in speed of page loading since some of the more excessive sigs. have been reduced, and I have a fast cable connection!
Old 01-01-2002, 09:10 PM

As a relatively new member with a high post count, maybe I can offer a helpful opinion.
When I first got on the site and saw people with thousands of posts, I thought of them as really senior people, who must know what they're talking about when it comes to our car. Then I discover the Off Topic forum I then realized that a lot of people have high post counts because of the often worthless threads in there. Don't get me wrong, I like OT, but some stuff is just completely dumb. I think they call some of these threads Muppet Threads or something like that.

Anyway, I've often found myself hitting the Reply button and writing a sentence or two then thinking to myself that I have nothing to really say, so I do not post. Now I'm definitely less inclined to post stuff in S2000 Talk, but in OT I really don't restrain myself, because no one else seems to, and it is often fun. I do not do it to pump up my post count. Several times today I've come across threads that were really interesting only to see the same person post their usual worthless stuff in the thread. Now I consider worthless "stuff" what you all do - the one liners and unqualified opinions.

That being said, I think Ansy_Pandy's suggestion is the way to go.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a shame that a few, a very few, would cause such an unnessesary uproar over something so stupid as post count. Everyone wants a systematic solution to a very small and contained problem. Why not just deal with the problem at hand and leave everyone else alone. Just because one idiot is abusive why should that impact the rights of everyone else? They haven't done anything.

So how about this, instead of calling for the creation of global rules and regulations to deal with the problem, we do this:

1. Complain to me. You can PM me or send me an email or even call me on the phone. I'm not a hard guy to reach.
2. I will warn the offender
3. If the offender doesn't cease and desist within 24 hours, I suspend their posting privs for 30 days
4. If the problem continues after that, I suspend their rights permanently

Since I'm already considered by some to be a dictatorial ass, what's a few more Posting is a priviledge, not a right. Behave or lose the priviledge.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by cthree
Behave or lose the priviledge.

I think that's the best solution.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cthree
Behave or lose the priviledge.

Okay, I am sure that I am one of the people that this sort of complaint is aimed at. I make sure that I use the OT for this... and I am usually making comments that I (and other people) find amusing.... I thought that this was what OT was all about... having fun with other members that use this board...

I totally agree that people should not put "yup" and "" in the S2000 Talk forums and the like... but please, let's remember that just because someone doesn't find a certain thread or post either amusing or interesting or whatever, someone else might!!!

I agree with cthree's comment, but please let's keep that in the "other" forums and let people play in OT .... really, who is to say whether "I can't get a job in McDonalds because..." or whether "Wibble" is more intersting to people????

Just my 12.9 yens worth

Quick Reply: Post litter