Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Post litter

Old 01-01-2002, 06:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Post litter

It seems that we have more and more posts with no real content, probably just to raise post count. Besides being irritatating they get in the way and drive real information exchange to the bottom. I would like to see the litter go away and the non-S2000 posts stay in off-topic.

How about doing away with gears and post counts? That won't fully eliminate the 'ok', 'yup', and crap posts but should put a real damper on the post contests. Perhaps a limit on new posts (per time period?) for non-owners?

I know that once upon a time we put some stock in how long someone has been around and how much they have offered to the community, but it seems we need a new way to judge that.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whilst you probably wouldn't think so to look at my post count, it wouldn't bother me one bit if we dropped the post count altogether. I do agree it's first and foremost a car board, but I also think it's important to strike a balance between that and being fun and entertaining too. The problem is we all expect different things from the board. Some of the most informative technical posts whilst obviously very welcome are often lacking in any humour and I would hate to see that as the sole purpose of the board.

I think I woud definitely support dropping the post count, but we should wait until Andy Pandy and Tokio James have hit 6th. gear... they've worked really hard!

Leaving the board with no 'rank' structure, assuming gears would be dropped too, would give no indication to new members of 'seniority' of members for want of a better expression, but I see little evidence of any respect for that from certain quarters anyway.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best alternative method would be to rank people on the length of time they have spent on the board i.e. virgin, member, senior member etc......

Just my 2p
Old 01-01-2002, 07:20 AM

yup

(sorry, but you were asking for that).
Old 01-01-2002, 07:36 AM

OK with me
Old 01-01-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
It seems that we have more and more posts with no real content, probably just to raise post count. Besides being irritatating they get in the way and drive real information exchange to the bottom. I would like to see the litter go away and the non-S2000 posts stay in off-topic.

How about doing away with gears and post counts? That won't fully eliminate the 'ok', 'yup', and crap posts but should put a real damper on the post contests. Perhaps a limit on new posts (per time period?) for non-owners?

I know that once upon a time we put some stock in how long someone has been around and how much they have offered to the community, but it seems we need a new way to judge that.

i agree with you on the post thingy, but remember, this board is for:

1. information
2. a place people can meet other people who own the s2000 around the world.
3. a place where we can speak about our problems and at the same time have a little fun.
I mean, how much can you talk about our beloved S that hasnt been talked about already

just my .02
Old 01-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am tired of the threads that have constant "yups" and "nopes" and I generally won't return to a thread that devloves into something so inane...makes me do this ----->

There seems to be some perceived status of having a high post count...and getting there by any means possible seems to be accceptable, despite there being no real contribution. Most of this happens in OT and that's fine, I just avoid it. And I also have learned to appreciate the Ignore List...

That said, how about putting "Member since..." then the date they joined where the post count is now. That would show who's been around longer and doing away with the post count races that some folks think is important...

My 17 Drachmas...(inflation-adjusted)
Old 01-01-2002, 10:28 AM

I agree 100% with Greg. What needs to be done to make this happen? Just an HTML change by Cthree?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Former Moderator

There is already a member since... under your name.. I'm rather impartial to the whole matter, though the Post whoring does get on my nerves a bit.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Why does the post count seem so important to people?

I think the most important aspect of s2ki is to bring S2000 owners and enthuisasts together, discuss the S2000, make ownership more fun with development of clubs and events.

S2000 Talk is as titled "S2000 Talk" We discuss our cars, our issues, and our experiences. Let's keep the high quality knowledge we are used to in this forum.

As for member since. The Month and Year is already displayed on the left hand side by your avatar, and other badges folks are displaying. From a programming aspect, I am not sure what else can be done.

Folks involved with S2Ki do not have "gear" ratings. If you are a s2ki director, community organizer or moderator, you have these titles. The number of posts are still listed, but the gear title is gone.

We have to remember the forum is a place to relax, however, it needs quality information for people to keep coming back. Use OT for the light hearted posts, and the S2000 Talk and other Tech forums to learn about your car.

So, what is the solution? Remove the Gear levels, and
Based on senority (on the anniversary date of s2ki) member levels. This way the number of posts does not matter. You will be upgraded to the next level based on the number of years you have participated in the community. I do not know what would be involved to implement this but it may be a solution to stop post whoring.

So, thanks for listening to my ramble..

Quick Reply: Post litter