Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

iS2ki - S2ki Forums for iPhone

Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iS2ki - S2ki Forums for iPhone

How many of you guys have an iPhone.

Im thinking about building an app to monitor the S2ki forums, navigation through subforums, reading/replying to posts etc...

Anyone would use it ?

It was just a passing thought.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would if I had an iPhone
Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM

i would use it! =]
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM

What would the app offer that safari doesn't ?

Have to admit, I've been thinking of downloading the SDK, but can't think of an application to write yet
Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a passing thought we've all had the problem is finding the time to do it. If you want to build an iPhone version of the site then drop me an email. The problem is simply a lck of resources available to take on the project and actually finish it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

What would the app offer that safari doesn't ?

Have to admit, I've been thinking of downloading the SDK, but can't think of an application to write yet lol.gif
Safari - loads all the info and graphics every time you load the page, meaning slow loading / navigation. Loads the page in full res meaning lots of zooming around.

An app for the iphone could either, just pull the data direct drom sql, Or implement some for or proxy machine to filter / store the data.

The main objective for the app:

Faster forum navigation

Easy forum navigation

No zoom around just to get the text readable

Application icon to show subscriber post reply's ( this may have to wait till 2.0 push firmware ) Or try and implement soem sort of direct rss through the site.

The ther option owuld be to knockout a " low res " version of the forum that you can acces via safari and any mobile interface. Probably a biger project though. See what the admin's say.

It's a passing thought we've all had the problem is finding the time to do it. If you want to build an iPhone version of the site then drop me an email. The problem is simply a lck of resources available to take on the project and actually finish it.
You would be amazed how easy it is to bring fully function apps to market for the iphone. Apple are not lying, this would be a 1 man 1 month job @ a few hours a day

This is my 5th proj for the iPhone, so far i have helped with

Porting VNC client server packets to iPhone ( Remote desktop to your home pc )

RSS reader

IRC Chat client for iPhone ( now including an admin pack for mods )

Helped out where i could with the 1.1.4 unlock ( have a fully soft lock if anyone wants it )

And ive just finished a Test Track port. Test track is a Developer bug tracking database with a sql backend.

For more info just ask.

I will have a play with it over the weekend. And possibly have a chat to Aquilla about a few little things that could be done on the site.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, you have two weeks to finish this up. Then I will expect it to be fully functional 10 mins after I walk out of the ATT store with one in my poket.

Sounds like a good project, I'd LOVE to see some support for the PM functionality built in.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 man, 1 month @ a few hours a day is more than I've got to spend on it unfortunately. If you would be willing and able to lend a hand then it's doable.

I do agree with the other poster however and think this project may be better suited to being a web app rather than a native one. I'm in the process of rewriting the site software and adding an iPhone front end would fit into that pretty easily and is actually one of my goals for it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Puppy,Jun 27 2008, 08:26 AM
And possibly have a chat to Aquilla about a few little things that could be done on the site.
cthree is your man, not me.

Quick Reply: iS2ki - S2ki Forums for iPhone