Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Hi

Old 03-02-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hi

I don’t mean to be critical, but why does everyone seem to copy what the last person said in order to respond to them? I can understand if it’s a political question and you’re afraid they may change what they said, but to copy the entire statement or question each time, just means we have to scroll further for no reason to see your answer or comment.

is this really necessary?

thanks for all the reasonable replies.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:22 PM
IB Staff

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kissthepilot
I don’t mean to be critical, but why does everyone seem to copy what the last person said in order to respond to them? I can understand if it’s a political question and you’re afraid they may change what they said, but to copy the entire statement or question each time, just means we have to scroll further for no reason to see your answer or comment.

is this really necessary?

thanks for all the reasonable replies.
You mean like this?

This is common for a message forum and not specific to S2KI. Because threads can consist of hundreds of replies with different comments, people quote the message they are directly replying to as a form of clarification to what they're responding to and who they're addressing.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 AM

Default Hi

Yes, just like that. But when everybody does it and then copies the entire thing including pictures and technical data, isn’t that a bit of overkill? All it does is take up space and make it harder to scroll down. Why would you need to copy something that’s right above you for example? In your example you did it to show people what I was talking about, but otherwise how would it be useful?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:31 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Depends on the thread and topic as some get a bit off-topic. A thread like this doesn't really show how/when it is useful to quote a specific post and then reply to it, but there are many times when quoting a specific reply is justified.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:33 AM

Default Thanks

Fair enough, but it does it have to be the whole thing including pictures? Seems like a waste of space to me. And have several responses cutting the same original person who is the only one they could’ve been responding to anyway, seems very redundant.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:39 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Quotes can be edited, but again, it's up to the individual to edit it if they chose to.

All forums have the quote feature, it isn't going away.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

While we're complaining can we lock old threads? Responses to 15 year old threads are confusing especially the "Is this car still for sale?" threads when the poster hasn't been here in years.

-- Chuck
Old 03-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuck S
While we're complaining can we lock old threads? Responses to 15 year old threads are confusing especially the "Is this car still for sale?" threads when the poster hasn't been here in years.

-- Chuck
Hit the report button so we can close it.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:35 PM

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,086 Posts

The quote is very useful. Like others have said, it helps when you are replying and someone else replies in between, so everyone knows who you are replying to. I think most of us try to clean up the quotes, but not everyone. And I believe pictures are automatically removed from quotes on here (They are on some sites anyways) to keep it shorter. Even if someone quotes stuff with quotes in it, I dont find it that big of a deal, I just scroll on down

In terms of it seeming redundant, you would be surprised how many can be confused by thinking someone is replying to them when they are replying to someone else in the thread.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Pictures aren't automatically removed on here when quoting, at times I wish they were, but again quotes serve a purpose and are quite useful.

Quick Reply: Hi