Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Forum hosting

Old 03-26-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know which ISP s2ki.com uses for its hosting of this site? Or can anyone recommend a good valued ISP for the hosting of a forum site? I'd like to get my own dedicated server. Don't worry, it's not to create another s2000 forum site. Thanks!

Oops... please move this to Off-Topic. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:35 AM

I have no idea what s2ki is using, but I'm pretty sure it's a dedicated server.

But it really depends what kind of traffic you are going to expect on your site.

I run an Accord v6 forum that has about 8000 members and uses up 50+GB of bandwidth each month that's why we're using a dedicated server. Just think how much bandwidth this site uses each month...

If you are really serious about starting a forum that will have lots of traffic take a look at this site. www.serverbeach.com that's where we get our server services.

If you plan on running a forum for a smaller community say like Arizona S2000's then you can run with less. Take a look at www.neureal.com, I use them for my personal site since it doesn't see as much traffic and doesn't need that much power.

These are just suggestions, there are LOTS of ISPs out there.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use eMaxHosting.com, and in several months have not come across a single downtime. The owner, Chris, seems to be a superGod, answering my tech questions by email within 5 minutes of me posting it. The prices are great. For example, I have the Basic package (mid-range). For like $50/6 months, I got a dedicated IP address, 500 Meg storage, 25 Gig bandwidth/month, and you can buy extras for VERY reasonable prices. You also get all kinds of free software goodies.

I can't say enough great things about this company. If you're interested, speak with Chris and tell him Dan from Hi-TecDesigns.com suggested eMax, see if he'll cut you a deal.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving to Site Info.

S2KI is currently hosted on 5 (fast) boxes with a dedicated 100 mbit pipe. If you're just starting out, it's doubtful you'll need something of this magnitude. Have a look at some of the other deals mentioned above and see if something works for you.

If you really feel you need a dedicated box, then have a look at www.reflected.net as they have some of the most aggressive pricing I've ever seen on managed boxes for dedicated.

J.P.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:50 AM

Great. Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at invision power board. They will host the forum for you. Not sure about pricing.