Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Fixing search

Old 05-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Fixing search

Merged thread, ignore the weirdness

Hey guys, I will expand on this more later, but I'm trying to (finally) get search working. I've done some tweaking to the topic search code, need you all to give it a shot and see if you can confuse it.

1) Go to http://beta.s2ki.com/forums <--- Important!
2) In the quick search bar (the one on the upper-right corner), enter keywords for a thread you're trying to find.
3) Let me know if the results are really far off
4) Go back to www.s2ki.com - there are a lot of broken things in beta, don't use it regularly (really)

Some caveats:

The beta search stuff is hacked so that it will search only through thread titles and descriptions - ie not the post itself (that will come soon).

Only the first page of the results will work, clicking on page 2, 3, 4, etc will give you nothing, don't bother.

We've discovered the search database is stale...I don't mean stale like stinky cheese, I mean stale like green, liquid cheese. So look for stuff a few months old and beyond. April is the cutoff date, so make sure you look for something before that.

I will have some progress updates as the week goes by.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2005, 09:40 PM

BTW, you don't need to +add +a +plus +in +front +of +every +goddamn +word. But if you need to do complex searching, you can still use - ~ < > etc etc. I don't feel like expanding on those, but if you really care, I will.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 PM

does it still have the over enthusiastic flood control?...

it's really annoying to do a search, get no results, submit a different query and then get bollocked for submitting too many searches!...
Old 05-21-2005, 11:52 PM

I believe there still is, but the idea is that it won't matter if the search results are actually accurate. I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a lot more performance out of the search engine, so we may end up lowering the flood limits (I think it's around 10 or 15 seconds right now). Don't knock it until you try it!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:55 PM

I've never had a problem with the search button in the top right of the screen.

Here is the error message I got from trying to do a more detaled search on the search form.

[QUOTE] mySQL query error: INSERT INTO ibf_search_results (id,search_date,topic_id,topic_max,member_id,ip_ad dress,post_id,query_cache) VALUES ('4943ec6fae7702b6491f0bf5fad458ca','1116748346',' 00','1056','40980','172.214.25.54','00','SELECT MATCH(post) AGAINST (\'digital camera\' ) as score, t.tid, t.title, t.posts, t.views,
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,May 21 2005, 11:55 PM
I've never had a problem with the search button in the top right of the screen.

Here is the error message I got from trying to do a more detaled search on the search form.

That was from beta.s2ki.com ?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by yogi,May 22 2005, 08:24 AM
Either Ian or I will have some progress updates as the week goes by.
I will???

OK here is an update. yogi hassled me to read this thread and do some searches. It is still broken
Old 05-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Guys and gals I would encourage you to try and do as much searching as you can and report back here if it is not finding stuff you know exists. The more help yogi gets the better he can try and fix everything in it. he sounds quite determined, so much so he woke me up this morning hassling me to come and read these threads and try some searches!! (damn those time differences )

He's asked us UK people specifically to help here cos he knows what fussy buggers we are!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:41 AM

i don't appear to be having much luck with it...

it couldn't find any results for "CAI" or "PRM" in the UK forums and occasionally hangs for a minute or so and then returns an error similar to GTFCTIM's above (which i am guessing is the DB connection timing out)
Old 05-22-2005, 12:58 AM

I typed in

driven europe

it just hangs

Quick Reply: Fixing search