Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

earned rights

Old 02-05-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up earned rights

I'll say this first: coming up with a solution is the easy part. implementation is where the work comes in. so cthree, hondagal, krazik, & other site admins-- this is just my $.02, food-for-thought, IMHO, etc.

earned rights: troll prevention solution
1) any new member is only allowed to make one post for every one day he/she has been on the site. so after seven days, said person can reply to 7 items. not terribly stringent IMO, but atleast keeps the noise-level down. after 7 days, it becomes unlimited.

2) no member newer than 7 days is allowed to post images, links to images, hotlinked images, etc.

3) any person who signs up for the site will receive a confirmation email 30 mins after they submit their information. once again, this really slows down the trolls, but it's not a terribly inordinate amount of time to wait for legitimate guest who wants to sign up.

IMHO, from what I know about databases, these access priveleges aren't terribly difficult to implement.

the nice thing is, the entire rule-set can be discarded for a member when:
a) the person immediately pays for membership
b) the person is past the 7-day trial period

logic: IF usertime is >7 days, THEN anti-troll subroutine rule-set. ELSE, normal.

which should help with the server processor load.

love it, hate it, or at me... just wanted to throw out some ideas to help keep s2ki troll free.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Trit,

(thanks for the report-a-post, by the way)...

99% of the time a new member comes online and isn't a spammer. Sometimes they post useful/good stuff. In fact, part of the appeal to buying the car might be (to some) the immediate contact with the s2ki community. I'd hate to shelve that with your idea #1. #2 sounds like a good idea. #3, hmm, well perhaps if the 30 minute response was cut out it would work. There are lots of sites that require an email exchange before being enabled -- that sounds reasonable.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Feb 5 2005, 08:15 AM
Trit,

(thanks for the report-a-post, by the way)...

99% of the time a new member comes online and isn't a spammer. Sometimes they post useful/good stuff. In fact, part of the appeal to buying the car might be (to some) the immediate contact with the s2ki community. I'd hate to shelve that with your idea #1. #2 sounds like a good idea. #3, hmm, well perhaps if the 30 minute response was cut out it would work. There are lots of sites that require an email exchange before being enabled -- that sounds reasonable.
I probably didn't describe #1 very well. I don't think it's a terrible hindrance. to wit:

day 1-- new person can reply to a single thread in a 24 hr period
day 2-- new person can reply to 2 threads
day 3-- new person can reply to 3 threads
day 7-- new person can post all they want.

it's only a week Chazmo. and it might help remind people that posting on s2ki is a privelege, not a right.

I think the 30 minute pause in the email exchange helps slow down the trolls as well.

of course these are just some ideas I'm throwin out.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the input - now go buy a membership, or you might find you have no rights

Old 02-05-2005, 09:28 AM

S2KI Age: 1 yrs 265 days

^ I think I've earned my keep Aquila
Old 02-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Trit, I think Killer is saying "put up or shut up." Only in much nicer, typically British understatement.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The beautiful thing about software is that what seems to be entirely sensible and reasonable is often harder to implement than it first seems.

First, there is no support for any of that stuff which means it needs to be written in. Technically that's entirely possible but it takes time to do and test.

Second, it's a lot of work to code and maintain and resources in that department are limited. I currently have 8 unfinished WIP projects (off the top of my head):

- Merge advertising zones for community forums with main zone
- Replace sponsors credit card billing system with new payment gateway I wrote
- Implement daily and monthly PPC budgets for advertising including recurring automatic billing
- Add credit card and check payment options for memberships
- Allow membership renewals before they expire
- Fix the pricing calculation of Basic -> Gold membership upgrades
- Implement notifications for membership expiry and a few other things
- New more user friendly skin design

I don't think adding another task to that list to deal with one jackass is the right answer. Even if I did add something to the list it wouldn't get finished until months from now, long after this retard has moved on.

Third, this is not a systematic problem requiring a change in the system. There are a lot of things we "could" do but the formula for S2KI while imperfect works generally well. We have about 100 moderators and admins and their job is to deal with this sort of thing. That is why we have them. When this sort of issue pops up they get on it and clean it up. I try to give them the tools they need to do this job and one such tool, the warning system, would have been useful in this case but it was abused, misunderstood and turned off. Had the system been active then 2 moderators could have shut the guy up before it got out of hand. I wish the system worked but it didn't.

Fourth and finally, some systems, such as the warning system above, look like a good idea at the time but bring with them unforeseen an sometimes problematic issues of their own. There is no magic bullet. In this case there are more side effects than benefits. I've thought about something very similar to what you describe but I decided not to implement it due to the huge volume of problems it would create.

In summary: It's a great idea but it's not something I can or will do at this time.

I hope that's a fair response to a reasonable suggestion.

Cheers,
Erik