S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Old Comptech SC - Return to stock

Old 10-01-2024 | 06:18 AM
5 Year Member

Default Old Comptech SC - Return to stock

Hello everyone,

As my S2000 is turning 20 years old and around 53,000 kilometers on the ODO (33,000 miles) as of 2024, I'm left looking at options to begin a 'soft' restoration of the car.

The car currently has a very old Comptech supercharger kit with aftercooler and a Novi 1000 blower. I'm thinking going forward I should return the car back to stock, but I do need to double check what needs to be changed out or what can be left in (for example, fuel pump). At some point I was also looking at an upgrade kit that was available from Science of Speed to upgrade to a newer blower but doesn't seem available anymore?
Old 10-01-2024 | 08:43 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

What's the goal here? If a 20-year old car is running fine why mess with it? Especially since your profile shows you and the car residing in the Dominican Republic (at least that's not Haiti!) which is not a hotbed of S2000s.

Got all the old parts? Much of the hardware removed to supercharge the car is long out of production so just finding the pieces would be a quest (vs a normal search) and the tune on the car is grossly different from what it was stock. Reprogramming the aftermarket ECU is not a trivial job either. 2004 ECUs are on Ebay all the time but the OEM ECU depends on OEM injectors, sensors, intakes, etc.

Interesting project we'll be following.

-- Chuck

Old 10-01-2024 | 08:56 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What's the goal here? If a 20-year old car is running fine why mess with it? Especially since your profile shows you and the car residing in the Dominican Republic (at least that's not Haiti!) which is not a hotbed of S2000s.

Got all the old parts? Much of the hardware removed to supercharge the car is long out of production so just finding the pieces would be a quest (vs a normal search) and the tune on the car is grossly different from what it was stock. Reprogramming the aftermarket ECU is not a trivial job either. 2004 ECUs are on Ebay all the time but the OEM ECU depends on OEM injectors, sensors, intakes, etc.

Interesting project we'll be following.

-- Chuck
Hi!
We've had this car since 2004 (it's originally from the US), luckily we do have at least the OEM ECU and pulley. Allegedly the air box is tucked away somewhere, but it's probably the one thing I would be missing. My main issue is the supercharger seems on it's way out, given that the supercharger is out of production, I'm likely finding myself looking at a new kit, and might as well consider just returning to stock at that point.

I know for a fact it's still going to be a costly project and time consuming, but I do plan to keep my S2000 as good as I possibly can, specially given how rare they are here. I hope to keep it for a long time and returning to stock seems to be an easier way of keeping it like that!

Here's the car in question.

Last edited by calerouxz; 10-01-2024 at 09:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by calerouxz:
dwb993 (10-01-2024), Spoolin (10-01-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 09:43 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

In the interim period between messages I noted your previous notes on continuous problems with the current supercharger. Might be worth a search for a SC replacement or professional rebuild if everything else is working as good as your cars (and garage!) look. (I don't dare let my wife see your garage interior or I'll be spending a month out there! )

-- Chuck
Old 10-01-2024 | 10:19 AM
5 Year Member

HAHA! Thank you very much!

Yes, we've had some problems regarding the supercharger and its components, as well as other more common ones like the EPS (is it just me or are EPS issues becoming almost a joke among S2k owners?). Luckily most of the car is still stock, and as far as sensors go, I think I've only lost my secondary O2 sensor (my cat went and decapitated the sensor).
Old 10-03-2024 | 06:12 PM
10 Year Member

Rebuilding the sc is actually very diy doable. Bearing replacement, etc. Something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
Spoolin (10-07-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

If you really want to return to stock then it is mostly uncomplicated save for a few things. Essentially you need to:

1. Remove blower
2. Remove oil feed line and if your setup uses an oil return back to the sump, remove the line and close the welded on bung. If it is returned via the timing chain cover then do the same.
3. You can leave the supercharger crank pulley on and run NA no problem. No need to go through the hassle of removing the pulley just to reinstall your stock crank pulley.
4. The fuel pump can stay as is. IF you are running the stock fuel rail and FPR then all you need to do is swap your stock injectors back in.
5. If you have a standalone ECU then retune it for NA (might not need to do much retuning here as without boost your fuel and ignition maps will simply run up to 0 psi load which the car should already be tuned for right now) or remove it and reinstall your stock ECU.
6. Reinstall your stock MAP sensor (if going back to stock ECU) if you haven't swapped that out.
7. Remove wideband and ensure the stock ECU has the original pin C16 (white wire) reconnected as that is where it gets O2 feedback from (remember to reinstall your stock narrow band O2 sensor as well)
8. Don't forget your stock airbox (unless you have something else).

And that's about it! Try to enjoy losing 200 ponies after that

N.B. Do you have the Comptech cooler box air filter cover?
Spoolin (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:35 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
If you really want to return to stock then it is mostly uncomplicated save for a few things. Essentially you need to:

1. Remove blower
2. Remove oil feed line and if your setup uses an oil return back to the sump, remove the line and close the welded on bung. If it is returned via the timing chain cover then do the same.
3. You can leave the supercharger crank pulley on and run NA no problem. No need to go through the hassle of removing the pulley just to reinstall your stock crank pulley.
4. The fuel pump can stay as is. IF you are running the stock fuel rail and FPR then all you need to do is swap your stock injectors back in.
5. If you have a standalone ECU then retune it for NA (might not need to do much retuning here as without boost your fuel and ignition maps will simply run up to 0 psi load which the car should already be tuned for right now) or remove it and reinstall your stock ECU.
6. Reinstall your stock MAP sensor (if going back to stock ECU) if you haven't swapped that out.
7. Remove wideband and ensure the stock ECU has the original pin C16 (white wire) reconnected as that is where it gets O2 feedback from (remember to reinstall your stock narrow band O2 sensor as well)
8. Don't forget your stock airbox (unless you have something else).

And that's about it! Try to enjoy losing 200 ponies after that

N.B. Do you have the Comptech cooler box air filter cover?
You can't imagine how grateful I am for this list! Thank you, this is very helpful!

If you mean the carbon fiber lid for the Comptech air filter box, yes, I do!
RolanTHUNDER (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:05 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by calerouxz
You can't imagine how grateful I am for this list! Thank you, this is very helpful!

If you mean the carbon fiber lid for the Comptech air filter box, yes, I do!
You're welcome

Nice. I am curious if you're willing to sell it or do you plan on keeping all the blower parts together?