Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Finally picked up my first S2000

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally picked up my first S2000

So I have been a member on here for 11 years but never made a post. I have been in the process of restoring a 98 E36 M3 and wasn't planning on purchasing an S2000 until that project was complete but one came up and I couldn't pass it up. It has been on my list of dream cars for a very long time and I am so happy that I finally own one. What an amazing car!

A friend of the family has owned the car and had it at their lake house and only drove it when they were staying there. It has always been in the garage and only taken out in the little lake community area and around the local town. I knew they didn't drive it hardly at all, but I was blown away with how good of shape the car was when I saw it in person. I drove the car back on the very old tires that felt super sketchy to say the least. I stopped an hour into my drive home and realized they were the RE0500 tires manufactured in 2004. I drove the rest of the way in the slow lane as nervous as could be. The car looks like it was stored in a time capsule. I feel very fortunate to have purchased one in this condition as I never thought they would sell it.
2004 S2000
20,968 miles
White with Black and Tan interior
I have already changed the transmission fluid, diff fluid, oil and Honda oil filter, Honda air filter and cabin filter. Got new Michelin PS4S tires, and I am getting ready to do the coolant, clutch and brake fluid. It also need a good detailing but it has no grime under the hood, just dirty if that makes sense. I am used to my E36 that has dripped or leaked oil all over everything under the hood and car

I will get better pictures after I go through and give the car a really good cleaning.

John

Last edited by Elscooby; Yesterday at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Forgot to mention I cleaned up and regreased the shifter with Honda grease and ordered a new foam insulator around the shifter from LHT and a new serpentine belt, though mine looks to be in good condition, it is still 20 years old.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Old Today, 05:38 AM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Awesome! Wow, 20-year-old tires. Sounds like it's in much better hands now. Enjoy!
Old Today, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU
Awesome! Wow, 20-year-old tires. Sounds like it's in much better hands now. Enjoy!
So when I took off the wheels to go have my friend help me get the new PS4s installed I realized that the inside of the rear driver's side was literally coming apart. Not sure how I made it home safe on these.

Old Today, 06:17 AM

Here is my 98 E36 M3 that I have been restoring for a few years now when I have had the time. One of my favorite cars. And of course my new S2000.

Old Today, 06:32 AM

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Welcome!

There were 2 especially useful threads I found before I actually went and looked for a car:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...#entry18385384

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...replace-first/

They should have most of the info and additional links you will ever need.

Also, check your top elastic straps. The picture above appears to indicate your top is not folding down properly. Modifry still sells replacements.
Old Today, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dwb993
Welcome!

There were 2 especially useful threads I found before I actually went and looked for a car:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...#entry18385384

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...replace-first/

They should have most of the info and additional links you will ever need.

Also, check your top elastic straps. The picture above appears to indicate your top is not folding down properly. Modifry still sells replacements.
Thank you for the links. I will check out the straps.

Btw, which pic looks like it isn't folding down properly? I am learning a lot about the car but still new to everything S2000.

Edit: scratch that, I went to the Modrfry site and see that my top is sticking up further than it should. Thanks again for the links.

Last edited by Elscooby; Today at 07:56 AM.
Old Today, 07:58 AM

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Elscooby
Btw, which pic looks like it isn't folding down properly? I am learning a lot about the car but still new to everything S2000.
The last 2 pics on the lift---the one with the hood and trunk open especially. Check the links I sent and follow the links to the top strap info for a good description and more pictures of the issue. Basically, with the top up look on the inside of the roof for the elastic straps that pull backward on the metal top bar to fold it back as the top retracts. If those straps are worn they will hang down and not apply the pressure required to fold the top properly. Its noticeable from the side and rear as the top stays too high -- it should retract fully into the well. You would really notice it if you tried to fit the vinyl boot cover as the cover would not install correctly.