JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Do I Need Stock Tune?

Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need Stock Tune?

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 S2000. I believe there is still a tune on the car from the previous owner. They do not have the hondata they used to tune either. I am trying to get the car back to stock tune. It's also on the OEM ECU. I have a couple of questions about this.

I would just need to buy a Hondata since this is an '06 model?

Does the car need to be on stock tune before I get it tuned with the Hondata? If so, how would I get the car to stock tune?

Any other advice on what to do or get before I get it tuned would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

What "tuning" do you need? Forced induction? Lower VTEC? A professional tuner familiar with Hondata can best answer this question.

The 2006+ ECUs are tunable by several methods not just as convenient as FlashPro which can be done in your driveway with on-road data. As far as I know there is no digital source for the OEM tune although it was stored in the FlashPro that tuned your car -- if that really happened. Purchase of a new FlashPro should have a "base tune" available for loading.

FlashPro is a one-time-use item and digitally locked to the ECU of the tuned car. FlashPro will not work on another car until divorced or removed from the original car which removes any tune and replaces it with the tune stored internally. Normally this is the OEM tune but could be anything. This makes it somewhat unlikely there's a tune on your car unless the previous owner just threw away a unsaleable $600 device. Key word is "unlikely" not impossible. My FlashPro has been sitting back in it's original box in my parts drawer for 10 years. If I wanted to sell it I'd have to reconnect and pull the tune and revert to the OEM tune which is saved inside.

FlashPro does not need the OEM tune to be present. Whatever tune is in the car will be automatically removed and stored in your FlashPro when you install a new one.

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What "tuning" do you need? Forced induction? Lower VTEC? A professional tuner familiar with Hondata can best answer this question.

The 2006+ ECUs are tunable by several methods not just as convenient as FlashPro which can be done in your driveway with on-road data. As far as I know there is no digital source for the OEM tune although it was stored in the FlashPro that tuned your car -- if that really happened. Purchase of a new FlashPro should have a "base tune" available for loading.

FlashPro is a one-time-use item and digitally locked to the ECU of the tuned car. FlashPro will not work on another car until divorced or removed from the original car which removes any tune and replaces it with the tune stored internally. Normally this is the OEM tune but could be anything. This makes it somewhat unlikely there's a tune on your car unless the previous owner just threw away a unsaleable $600 device. Key word is "unlikely" not impossible. My FlashPro has been sitting back in it's original box in my parts drawer for 10 years. If I wanted to sell it I'd have to reconnect and pull the tune and revert to the OEM tune which is saved inside.

FlashPro does not need the OEM tune to be present. Whatever tune is in the car will be automatically removed and stored in your FlashPro when you install a new one.

-- Chuck
Awesome thank you so much! This helped a lot! I've never tuned any of my cars before so I was a bit confused. I'm not looking to tune the car for forced induction or lower vtec. I just wanted to tune close to stock and be reliable, nothing too crazy.

The previous owner told me it was tuned back to stock. However, the car did have a test pipe with no o2 sensor or wire. I throw no CEL for this. I was told by my mechanic that there is still a tune on the car due to this and other reasons.

But it is good to know I would not need to have an OEM tune to use the Hondata flash pro.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Member (Premium)

A test pipe should have set the CEL and there are many ways to bypass it -- or so I'm told. Our cars are 18 years old (mine is a 2006 as well) so there's no telling what ECU or hardware changes were made over the years. Did you put the car on a lift and look at the sensor connector -- I think it's up in or near the driveline tunnel. Do you know how many previous owners the car has? FlashPro is just one device that can modify the ECU. I'm running a high flow cat with sensors but get no CEL -- perhaps it's blocked out in the ECU. Passed Oho smog (at the self service kiosk via the OBD2 port) a couple of times after tuning but not in the past 7 years since the car is now in Virginia.

I believe you can look at the Hondata furnished FlashPro tunes for the S2000 on the Hondata website before you buy anything.

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

A test pipe should have set the CEL and there are many ways to bypass it -- or so I'm told. Our cars are 18 years old (mine is a 2006 as well) so there's no telling what ECU or hardware changes were made over the years. Did you put the car on a lift and look at the sensor connector -- I think it's up in or near the driveline tunnel. Do you know how many previous owners the car has? FlashPro is just one device that can modify the ECU. I'm running a high flow cat with sensors but get no CEL -- perhaps it's blocked out in the ECU. Passed Oho smog (at the self service kiosk via the OBD2 port) a couple of times after tuning but not in the past 7 years since the car is now in Virginia.

I believe you can look at the Hondata furnished FlashPro tunes for the S2000 on the Hondata website before you buy anything.

-- Chuck
Yeah, so when I had the car on a lift, I just looked at it briefly. I can try looking a little harder next time it's on the lift for the sensor connector. The car had about 4 previous owners before me. I also replaced the test pipe with an OEM catalytic so it can pass inspection in New Jersey. I was able to pass even with the cat not having an o2 sensor and the check engine not showing for it. That's what I was thinking. I'm assuming it was blocked out in the ECU with the flash pro.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Member (Premium)

There's a cable from "somewhere" up there to the sensor on the cat so it's also possible there's something somewhere in the circuit preventing the CEL. Does it briefly light when the ignition is switched on? (Ruling out the light doesn't work at all.)

Asking the community: Does just twisting a couple of wires together or putting a resistor or capacitor there make the ECU think all is OK?

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

There's a cable from "somewhere" up there to the sensor on the cat so it's also possible there's something somewhere in the circuit preventing the CEL. Does it briefly light when the ignition is switched on? (Ruling out the light doesn't work at all.)

Asking the community: Does just twisting a couple of wires together or putting a resistor or capacitor there make the ECU think all is OK?

-- Chuck
Ah ok thank you for that I will definitely take a look next time I have it lifted. Yeah, so I checked to make sure the CEL even does work. Turn the key to ignition and it blinks comes on then turns off.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Light works.

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Prompted by another FlashPro question this afternoon I noted there IS a "stock tune" provided with FlashPro. S2000-US1.fpcal Note inside the file reads:
Settings
Revision=1.00
Notes=US/Canada S2000 2006+, factory settings
ModelList=5
Type=MAP
Injectors=Stock
Induction=NA
Cams=Stock
Intake=Stock
Header=Stock
Exhaust=Stock
ReturnToStock=0
[Parameters]
INJECTORSIZE=310
Take a look at it to confirm. I opened the file with Notepad to read the note. You don't need a physical FlashPro to read these files just can't do anything but look though.

-- Chuck
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Prompted by another FlashPro question this afternoon I noted there IS a "stock tune" provided with FlashPro. S2000-US1.fpcal Note inside the file reads: Take a look at it to confirm. I opened the file with Notepad to read the note. You don't need a physical FlashPro to read these files just can't do anything but look though.

-- Chuck
Oh perfect! So I can just flash it to that then. lol

Quick Reply: Do I Need Stock Tune?