S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rsx pcv valve

Old 04-14-2024, 05:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rsx pcv valve

Hi guys,

Following this post : https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...190696/page10/
I bought the pcv valce from the acura rsx : 17130-PRB-A01
When I asked my mechanic to install it, the thing sticking out back wouldn't let us to screw it all the way in.
So did we do something wrong ? How did you guys put it in there ?

My car is a 2001 and the valve cover should be from the same year but since I bought it used you never know what you can find ... (like an aem 320 instead of the oem fuel pump ...)

I wanted to do this regarding my oil consumption. I switch also from the highly expensive motul 300v 5w40 to the castrol magnatec 10w40 hoping to get better result , let's hope !

Thanks
Old 04-14-2024, 11:39 PM

Received 209 Likes on 181 Posts

Hi. Your 2001 OEM valve cover will not accept that RSX or AP2 PCV. Sounds like you do have a replacement valve cover from the AP2 because if you had the original cover you would not be able to screw it in as the ports are clearly different. I have a 2000 model with original PCV so I've never tried that RSX one to advise you on fitment, sorry.

You swapped from 300v to Magnatec?? Talk about a big difference... how many kms have you driven since then? What's the oil consumption like now?
The following users liked this post:
tontoneds2000 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

I used a Toyota Supra one on my Ap1 (I forget if it was the non-turbo or TT one).

Dunno if it made any difference; but, it still works fine (for a couple years now iirc).
Reason... was thinking/read it flows better.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,380 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The K series (AP2) PCV works on AP2 valve covers.

There's nothing on a AP1 cover that this would screw into.

How do you know your existing valve is the cause of your oil consumption? And how much oil are you consuming?

Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
The K series (AP2) PCV works on AP2 valve covers.

There's nothing on a AP1 cover that this would screw into.

How do you know your existing valve is the cause of your oil consumption? And how much oil are you consuming?
I have no clue my pcv is the problem. I did change it when I bought the car along many other parts, but here on s2ki, when reading oil consumption thread the ventilation of the valve cover is a recurring concern.
So with the motul my oil consumption exceed to a point where every 300km i would refill the tank and add 300ml of oil so on par with 1L/1000km by the manual. It's still a lot. And the motul is very expensive.
when i switched to the castrol, I used the castrol engine shampoo with the dirty used oil, then I bought a cheap 10w40 to further clean the residue before adding the new castrol. So i did a double oil change.

The reasoning of why comes from the thought of having sticky oil rings. I came across a thread about german s2000 cooking their oil ring mostly due to the autobahn.
My car comes from Germany. Since I found an aem 320 in the fuel tank I suspect the car to had a previous life with e85 and clogged injectors ... not a good formula
So today I'm trying to fix it. She's healthy in high rpm though but want to make sure she's perfect.
I've spent a lot but thankfully I got a good initial deal ...

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I used a Toyota Supra one on my Ap1 (I forget if it was the non-turbo or TT one).

Dunno if it made any difference; but, it still works fine (for a couple years now iirc).
Reason... was thinking/read it flows better.
I've read about it too. So I either find why the rsx won't fit or get one from the supra. I'll search for the part number but if you come across let me know: )

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Hi. Your 2001 OEM valve cover will not accept that RSX or AP2 PCV. Sounds like you do have a replacement valve cover from the AP2 because if you had the original cover you would not be able to screw it in as the ports are clearly different. I have a 2000 model with original PCV so I've never tried that RSX one to advise you on fitment, sorry.

You swapped from 300v to Magnatec?? Talk about a big difference... how many kms have you driven since then? What's the oil consumption like now?
Okay, I'm very confused now... I'll have to look closer what year of valve cover I have then.

Yes she was drinking the motul like hell. I've found here on s2ki a lots of people either ran castrol or improved oil consumption with it.

Then I looked at the specs sheets of the different oil on the market sold today by castrol and the magnatec had the numbers I was looking for.
I will definitely report my observation. Currently I'm not driving it because of my job but I can't wait to put some miles in it!

Thank you all for helping
Cheers
Old 04-16-2024, 03:21 PM
Member (Premium)

I would find out where the oil is going before doing anything.

A leakdown test may tell you something about your rings or cylinders.

Or checking for oily residue on the valve stems to check if its going through the stem seals.

1L per 1000KM is roughly equivalent to 1 quart per 600 miles....which is outside of normal. If your PCV valve isn't fully clogged....that's not the cause of it, and I doubt a higher flowing one will make any appreciable difference.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:16 PM

I would find out where the oil is going before doing anything.

A leakdown test may tell you something about your rings or cylinders.

Or checking for oily residue on the valve stems to check if its going through the stem seals.

1L per 1000KM is roughly equivalent to 1 quart per 600 miles....which is outside of normal. If your PCV valve isn't fully clogged....that's not the cause of it, and I doubt a higher flowing one will make any appreciable difference.
Some work was done on the head to install ap2 retainers etc so not in the head. Compression test before and after shown improvement with equalization in the number between each cylinder.
Like I mentioned it’s almost for sure from sticky oil rings. And early cars had improper machining of the cylinders so they are probably slightly oval. And to finish I don’t have blue smoke coming at the end of the exhaust tips.
All and all I’m convinced the motul didn’t work for me. I remember when I switched to it the valve train went much noisy than before.

The post I linked in the beginning shown improvement when modifying the ventilation of the valve cover.

So yes I need to investigate and using a different oil and a different pcv valve are on my list. I will report for sure but once I change the last one.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:39 PM
Member (Premium)

Replacing retainers doesn't mean they also did stem seals.

Stem seals are a common area for oil to make its way into the cylinder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the compression test comment about equalizing.

No, there was no improper boring on F20's. The engines were not torque plated honed. The later AP2 engines were torque plate honed. This is an improvement . It doesn't mean F20's were bored improperly.

A leakdown test will tell you how much compression leaking past your rings....at least at TDC.

Try a different oil first. Keep it within spec. I am in the US, but have had luck with Castrol Edge 10W30 synthetic

Be scientific about measuring oil consumption if you have not already done so.

I fill my oil to the top line on my dipstick. Then drive as I normally would, and check my oil on every fuel fill up.

You should check the oil maybe 5 mins after shutting the hot engine down. And be sure you are on a flat surface.

Repeat the check every fill up until the oil level reaches the bottom of the X's.

This signifies about 1L of oil loss.

How many KM did it take you to lose that 1L?

Fill the oil back up and repeat.

Get an average of your measurements over the entire oil change.

Don't do extended drain intervals. Change the oil and filter every 3-4K miles and use a quality, high detergent oil. Try different oils every oil change, if needed.

Keep checking to see if it improves.

Last edited by B serious; 04-16-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:26 AM

No, there was no improper boring on F20's. The engines were not torque plated honed. The later AP2 engines were torque plate honed. This is an improvement . It doesn't mean F20's were bored improperly.
Yeah this is what I was going to say - there is NO way F20 engines were "bored incorrectly by Honda". Absolutely no way.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by tontoneds2000
Okay, I'm very confused now... I'll have to look closer what year of valve cover I have then.

Yes she was drinking the motul like hell. I've found here on s2ki a lots of people either ran castrol or improved oil consumption with it.

Then I looked at the specs sheets of the different oil on the market sold today by castrol and the magnatec had the numbers I was looking for.
I will definitely report my observation. Currently I'm not driving it because of my job but I can't wait to put some miles in it!

Thank you all for helping
Cheers
Venting makes a big difference to oil consumption. Still, your case sounds extreme mon ami - 1L/1000kms? I do 5000 kms (3k mile) oil changes on my '00 AP1 and don't need to top up oil in between. On top of that I am supercharged

Why not try Motul Xcess 5W40? Or Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W40? U definitely get those in France. You will get every Motul product their because it is French

Last edited by RolanTHUNDER; 04-17-2024 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: rsx pcv valve