S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help identifying sound from rear of car

Old 09-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help identifying sound from rear of car

I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this, I have searched the forums for other "clunks" that people have heard and this one seems to differ. From the driver's seat, it definitely sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. It is a clunk that occurs most of the time during partial throttle transitions (stepping on and off the gas pedal, not shifting gears). I also get a clunk when rolling at speed and moving the shift lever through the gears with the clutch pressed in. Doing the same at a stop light does not reproduce the noise. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by W0Pdego
I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this, I have searched the forums for other "clunks" that people have heard and this one seems to differ. From the driver's seat, it definitely sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. It is a clunk that occurs most of the time during partial throttle transitions (stepping on and off the gas pedal, not shifting gears). I also get a clunk when rolling at speed and moving the shift lever through the gears with the clutch pressed in. Doing the same at a stop light does not reproduce the noise. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Thanks in advance.
I feel a *clunk* at low speeds when I'm moving my shifter into 1st, like when I'm parallel parking and I'm moving it in and out of 1st and Reverse. It's kind of normal, my Mazdaspeed 3 does that too when I'm parking.

As for the the sounds on throttle input... does this sound like you?

Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the sound seems some way linked to shifting, it doesn't come from anywhere around the area of the shifter/transmission tunnel. It is definitely behind the seating position. As for the cv noise, i don't think it is that because it is not constant and speed independent. In reference to the gas, I get one clunk when stepping on the gas in gear and the same clunk letting off the gas while in gear.