UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Boot leak & Previous Repairs

Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boot leak & Previous Repairs

Hi All,

In the course of tracking down a leak in the boot. Been through previous threads and reckon I have a clue where it might be coming from:

Seems to underneath the driver’s side roof and tracking back, underneath the brace and into the spare wheel well. Hopefully caught it soon enough.

(have had the car a year, but its dry stored usually and staring to do jobs required). Guessing blocked drain plugs or the vanity panel screws,

so that's where I'll start.

Have noticed over spray on the LH N/S lip from a previous repair, but thought I would ask the knowledge pool it the dark paint on the RH wheel

tub and brace is maybe a factory thing? Or indication of another, more extreme previous repair?

Hoping to tackle the leak and surface rust repair myself, but wondered if:

a) I had caught it early enough and

b) If I should be concerned that these apparent old repairs might have opened the seams up to water and therefore hidden horrors elsewhere deep in the crevices?

Fear of rust keeps me awake at night, (need to get out more) so looking for a bit of reassurance perhaps from the people who know best.

Here are some pictures to illustrate

Cheers

Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Default And the rust....

Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Original roof? Bungle roof replacements are a common cause of these leaks.

-- Chuck
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Hi Chuck,

No, replacement roof last summer before I got the car. Sounds like a possibility.
Remove and refit properly to rectify?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it my imagination or is that cross member/brace broken and missing a bracket ? - I which case it kinda answers your over-spray question
Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

the roof has a drain in a plastic moulding which eventually drains out to in front of the rear wheels, it could be that this is leaking, check the side drains to ensure they are clear then pour water on the roof rear window and see if it drips through

there are some pics on a thread i did which may help

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...-wash-1195754/

looks like you caught it just in time

has it been resprayed silver to black?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Cross Brace / Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply, and Yes, I thought that too, figured it shouldn't be asymmetric. Here's two close up images,
LH first then RH.

Then I found some pictures online (apologies to the US owners who's pics I have cagged) that showed the same.

Without another car for direct comparison its hard to tell.

Anyone shed some light on this perhaps?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the tips. Figured blocked drains might be the problem, got to get out in the dry (its raining in Cornwall you'll be surprised)
to know) and brush through to check. Hoping its that's simple, but as suggested earlier, it could be a poorly fitted replacement roof.

Car is registered black, all correct on the papers, but surprised me that the boot floor is so light. Looking at few other online pics,
the inner boot top coat doesn't always seem to be painted so well at the factory, but I'm no expert here and have started to dig around.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

Your boot has been replaced. You still have water coming in. This is a problem with older cars 10+ years. What happens is that the rubber/plastic grommets/seals that are meant to prevent water ingress through penetrations dry up and shrink. Check these areas: 1. Remote fuel release cable. This goes through at the bottom of the flap. Take it out by turning in 90 degrees and cram it with silicone. Refit. 2. Those two twin plastic covers at each side of the front edge of the boot lid. Remove by undoing the screw and slide towards you. Clean out. Then cake the screw grommet with silicone and refit. 3. Fuel filler inlet. As you can see there are three nuts holding this in place. Undo these and spray with silicone spray and retighten. Make sure the tube is correctly positioned. 4. Check all other penetrations such as the air vent and lights. Make sure seals are well lubricated. Could be other areas such as a poorly fitted replacement roof. Or blocked drain holes.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:46 AM

tjockhult,

You sound pretty sure about the replacement boot, does it look bad to you? I'm beginning to think its all been replaced which is
a concern. When you look closer inside and out, something doesn't seem 100%, but perhaps I'm being paranoid.

Good pointers on the leak, thanks, will look into all those locations although the dripping appears to be coming from underneath
the roof behind the drivers seat this evening, but its dark out there.

Quick Reply: Boot leak & Previous Repairs