S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

9/11 Remembered

Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts
Default 9/11 Remembered

Remembering 9/11 and all those affected by the event.

My son is now 18 years old, my wife was home with our newborn son on the day of the event as he was just a few months old at the time. I remember the day like it was yesterday.

Discovery has a show on tonight called Cleared for Chaos 9/11, which covers how one Canadian airport landed approx. 240 airplanes in a very short period of time that day as air space was closed in the U.S. That was a huge accomplishment for one airport to handle. The local community around Gander took in 30,000 passengers, with many residents around Gander NL opening their homes to complete strangers. I am looking forward to watching this program, it is one amazing detail that was happening behind the scenes that day.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 1,219 Likes on 943 Posts

I was working one of my on campus jobs that day (I was in college then). I walked into the office and my boss was out but the TV was on. I looked and saw one of the buildings going down and though "why would they be demolishing that??" before realizing what I was seeing. I remember exactly how that felt. I also remember how odd it was to have completely empty and silent skies after. Even not being near a big airport then, we noticed how different it was to not see or hear any air traffic at all. Terrible day for us all for sure.

I really was impressed though at how so many pulled together to work through it all. That show sounds very interesting as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I was working one of my on campus jobs that day (I was in college then). I walked into the office and my boss was out but the TV was on. I looked and saw one of the buildings going down and though "why would they be demolishing that??" before realizing what I was seeing. I remember exactly how that felt. I also remember how odd it was to have completely empty and silent skies after. Even not being near a big airport then, we noticed how different it was to not see or hear any air traffic at all. Terrible day for us all for sure.

I really was impressed though at how so many pulled together to work through it all. That show sounds very interesting as well.
I can relate to that exactly. I was in a work meeting that morning out of town that started at 9 am. One of the guys who arrived at the meeting was describing to his colleagues how a plane crashed somewhere and he couldn't understand how the plane could crash like it did. I had no idea what he was referring to and non one else at the meeting knew anything about what was happening. After my meeting I was driving home around noon and the local news on the radio reported that the World Trade centre towers had been wiped off the face of the map. I was in shock, there was no way I could imagine what that would look like, I was trying to visualize it in my head going by what the radio reports had to say about it. I called my wife and she was watching it on TV. I stopped by my home before heading to my office and it was absolutely surreal and apocalyptic. Just shocking to see the images. Our cel phones at the time were very simple, so I could only see it on television.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I was in the garage messing with the MG and the wife called from work at the county to tell me to turn on the tv. I watched it happen live. Very unreal and sad.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Remembering 9/11 and all those affected by the event.

My son is now 18 years old, my wife was home with our newborn son on the day of the event as he was just a few months old at the time. I remember the day like it was yesterday.

Discovery has a show on tonight called Cleared for Chaos 9/11, which covers how one Canadian airport landed approx. 240 airplanes in a very short period of time that day as air space was closed in the U.S. That was a huge accomplishment for one airport to handle. The local community around Gander took in 30,000 passengers, with many residents around Gander NL opening their homes to complete strangers. I am looking forward to watching this program, it is one amazing detail that was happening behind the scenes that day.
I can't find this show anywhere!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I can't find this show anywhere!
I just finished watching it, 10 pm - 11 pm eastern standard time., on Discovery Channel, this is in Canada but I thought it would be the same in the U.S. It is on again at 12 midnight, title is Cleared for chaos: 9/11. It was pretty interesting, a bit shorter than I expected. Unfortunately they did not get into the details of how the 33,000 passengers were dispersed into the community and assisted by everyday citizens after the planes landed, that part was the basis for the Broadway play " Come from Away", a very cool aspect of that event.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I just finished watching it, 10 pm - 11 pm eastern standard time., on Discovery Channel, this is in Canada but I thought it would be the same in the U.S. It is on again at 12 midnight, title is Cleared for chaos: 9/11. It was pretty interesting, a bit shorter than I expected. Unfortunately they did not get into the details of how the 33,000 passengers were dispersed into the community and assisted by everyday citizens after the planes landed, that part was the basis for the Broadway play " Come from Away", a very cool aspect of that event.
It was a Canada only showing. What a shame. We saw and loved the play.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:43 AM

Received 712 Likes on 482 Posts

We were at the beach and as we were checking out of the hotel we could not find anyone to help us. I looked around and all of the staff were watching this tragedy unfold on tv in the managers office. We settled up and drove home immediately. When we passed Dover Air Force base planes were scrambling as if a war was going on. As we drove we got news about the Pentagon and the plane in PA. It was surreal and we were in total shock. Prayers to all of those innocent victims and the brave emergency crews who are still suffering the effects of that day.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,589 Posts

There was a big spotlight early yesterday morning on the side of the Pentagon where the plane hit. It really glowed.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
There was a big spotlight early yesterday morning on the side of the Pentagon where the plane hit. It really glowed.
The twin tower spotlights seem to extend up a great distance too.

Quick Reply: 9/11 Remembered