S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question

Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question

Does the Ti shift knob have a coarse grainy texture or is it somehow just the way it looks in this pic?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I ordered one using the Part#'s I found on S2ki and mine does not look like that.
I didn't throw mine on a scale or anything though.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 188 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
I ordered one using the Part#'s I found on S2ki and mine does not look like that.
I didn't throw mine on a scale or anything though.
Thanks for the reply bud. Pretty much all the pics I've seen except this one show the knob as sleek and shiny.

How did your shifts feel with this one compared to the stock aluminium knob?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That one looks aftermarket or refinished, oem ones are smooth.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Received 1,275 Likes on 962 Posts

Ti weighs about 1.7x more than aluminum, per volume.

So...assuming the shift knobs have the same volumes....a Ti knob should weigh almost twice what the aluminum one does.

In my opinion, the perfect weight, height, and shape for the S2000 shift linkage is the OEM CR knob.

I don't like the feel of weighted/heavy knobs, personally. Not sure if they put extra wear on the shift mechanism (think of side loads from cornering or when the car hits a bump and rattles the shifter while its in gear).

I also don't really like counter sunk shift knobs.

The entire car uses a light weight/low friction mantra. A big heavyassed countersunk shift knob might feel good in a muscle car...but it feels out of place on the S2000 IMO.

The shifter feels more smooth and I feel more in control with a medium diameter/lighter shift knob.

For reference, my glove size is a large. In my palm, the CR knob feels perfect.

Last edited by B serious; 09-10-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shift knob on the scale was bead blasted.

Originally Posted by s2ka
AP1 stock = 150 grams
AP2 Stock (leather wrapped) = 240 grams
OEM Titanium = 250 grams

This one is the OEM Ti, I bead blasted it for a rougher finish.

OEM AP2

Old 09-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

OEM TI knob.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The entire car uses a light weight/low friction mantra. A big heavyassed countersunk shift knob might feel good in a muscle car...but it feels out of place on the S2000 IMO.

The shifter feels more smooth and I feel more in control with a medium diameter/lighter shift knob.

For reference, my glove size is a large. In my palm, the CR knob feels perfect.
I'm guessing you have tried one?
Because I thought the same thing as you until I tried a heavy steel one, much smoother shifts.
I went from a super light plastic/aluminum one though, maybe it was just too light weight.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
How did your shifts feel with this one compared to the stock aluminium knob?
It's slightly taller which I liked, but 'smaller/slimmer' up top which was odd at first. It's fine now and I enjoy it.
I do think I'd like something a little bigger and heavier but the titanium knobs works fine and looks great so I can't justify spending money on another/more shift knobs.
My OEM knob was a little chewed up when I picked up the car so that's how I justified swapping it out in the first place.

It's been years but I had a CR shift knob on my AP1 and kind of agree with the other poster stating it's the best shift knob for the car.

edit;
Picture out of boredom. Been on the car for 2 years and shows wear/one good knick.

Last edited by spaded.racer; 09-10-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: pic
Old 09-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 1,275 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
I'm guessing you have tried one?
Because I thought the same thing as you until I tried a heavy steel one, much smoother shifts.
I went from a super light plastic/aluminum one though, maybe it was just too light weight.

Yep, tried a heavy/sunk knob and disliked it a lot. The diameter is way off and the weight of it kinda numbs out the feel of the linkage.

And you're also right that one that is too small/light isn't optimal either. I have a car that came with a delrin SIGNAL knob that I didn't like at all.

The factory AP1/AP2 knobs are too small for my palm and the shape is awkward for spirited driving.

The CR knob has the perfect shape/height/weight (IMO). I'm sure that's why Honda designed it special for their "race" version of the car. It conveys the message perfectly. It actually works really well on other (FWD) Honda linkages too. Give it a shot!

Quick Reply: Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question