S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 08-08-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 2,978 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
No such thing as a cheap Porsche.
lesser model.....

Dave, hope you had a good time. Looks like a lovely area.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Kyras
I'm flying into Denver on Thursday. I'll be looking at a couple of houses for sale, staying the first night at my son's (who'll be 29 years-old tomorrow) and then driving down to be with my sister for three nights.

Gary, I'll see you next time I'm in town, I hope.

Oh, although my daughter didn't get the job at the Denver Zoo she applied for (it went to a volunteer there) her boyfriend did get a job offer last week. They are moving near the Denver Zoo by the end of September. The house I like the best right now is exactly halfway between my son's (Niwot) and my sister's (Colorado Springs) houses, in Littleton. I so hope it turns out as good as it looks online! With all the homes I looked at in Fallbrook, I learned that sometimes the real thing is much better and sometimes it's just a big disappointment.
Wow! Your daughters boyfriend landed a job -- That's great! With your daughter volunteering it will significantly increase her employment chances at the Zoo.

Denver's housing is going through a transformation - there are high-rise condos being built everywhere and older districts are being renovated and upgraded at a surprising rate, most all other home prices are escalating as well. Not as expensive as Silicone Valley where they're moving from, but Boulder and Denver is beginning to become a very expensive area for rentals and for the purchase of properties. I believe they were recently rated 13th and 18th most expensive US cities overall.

Good luck to them, and I hope to see you someday soon!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I'm flying into Denver on Thursday. I'll be looking at a couple of houses for sale, staying the first night at my son's (who'll be 29 years-old tomorrow) and then driving down to be with my sister for three nights.

Gary, I'll see you next time I'm in town, I hope.

Oh, although my daughter didn't get the job at the Denver Zoo she applied for (it went to a volunteer there) her boyfriend did get a job offer last week. They are moving near the Denver Zoo by the end of September. The house I like the best right now is exactly halfway between my son's (Niwot) and my sister's (Colorado Springs) houses, in Littleton. I so hope it turns out as good as it looks online! With all the homes I looked at in Fallbrook, I learned that sometimes the real thing is much better and sometimes it's just a big disappointment.
Originally Posted by The Raptor
Gary-

Here is an exposure matrix. These times are based on using a S" f/6 refractor at prime focus, glving an effective FL= 762mm.

As you can see, no exposure time on this chart requires a tracking mount even if you are using 600mm telephoto lens.

F# 2.8 4 5.6 8 11
Bailey's Beads Diamond Ring NA 1/8000 1/4000 1/2000 1/1000
Prominences 1/8000 1/4000 1/2000 1/1000 1/500
Inner Corona 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/15 1/30
Middle Corona 1/30 1/15 1/8 1/4 1/2
Outer Corona 1/2 1 2 4 8

According to a matrix of shutter speeds and F#s for Bailey's Beads, diamond ring, prominences, and inner/middle/outer corona, with a zoom lens and 1.4 teleconverter at 840mm, I'll be shooting at F9. I'll be ready for Bailey's Beads, diamond ring at 1/2000, then prominences at 1/1000, then the corona at 1/15-4 seconds, with bracketing of course.
Thanks for the camera settings and advice.

Gary
Old 08-10-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Thanks for the camera settings and advice.

Gary
I shot the sun yesterday afternoon. 1/80 looks to be the best. I just now finished my last moon shots at faster than 1/15. I'll chime in one last time later this morning. I'm ready to pack up and head to Oregon.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 3,183 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Wow! Your daughters boyfriend landed a job -- That's great! With your daughter volunteering it will significantly increase her employment chances at the Zoo.

Denver's housing is going through a transformation - there are high-rise condos being built everywhere and older districts are being renovated and upgraded at a surprising rate, most all other home prices are escalating as well. Not as expensive as Silicone Valley where they're moving from, but Boulder and Denver is beginning to become a very expensive area for rentals and for the purchase of properties. I believe they were recently rated 13th and 18th most expensive US cities overall.

Good luck to them, and I hope to see you someday soon!
^Exactly! Perfect scenario. She's the easy one to get picked and does all animals where he is only carnivores. She'll get hired for sure. She may be signing purchase papers for a house in Denver on Sunday. It's being built still but her bf can move in with their buddies until it's done and she comes after selling her house in Sacramento.

I'm hoteling it tonight in Loveland. My son and dil are hosting a big gathering for her dad's wedding in CO. I need a real bed and not a tri-fold on the floor. I'll still see them tonight.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Not a weekend gathering, but tomorrow evening after work, we will be getting together with my local sister, several cousins and spouses in a little cottage near the beach. My cousin and his wife who live in NC have rented the cottage and invited us over for a cookout. Should be fun. Haven't seen some of these folks in a while.

Saturday night we are hosting a small group of NE S2000 folks for a pizza and garden party. We used to do a cook out and found it was just too much work and provided too little time to socialize. Now Rick makes a salad, we serve some nibbles, and then we buy pizza from a local favorite spot. Looking forward to it.

If we feel like hanging with P car people on Sunday, the car museum in Newport/Portsmouth RI is having a cars and coffee in the AM and expecting a group of P car people. I think S2000 people are more fun, doubtful we will attend, but we'll see. We'd be the paupers of the group with our poor man's Porsche. Rick refers to it as the "cheap" Porsche....vs other models. Not sure we want to roll out of the house early on Sunday AM after hosting the party on Saturday night.
Enjoyed our mid week night out, visiting with my cousin from NC, my sister (local) and two of my other cousins, one local, one from not too far. My cousin is the oldest of our generation at 73. Here he is, surrounded by his "girl cousins" all of us are now official senior citizens! I'm the youngest in this picture, but I have two younger sisters, and two younger cousins as well. There were 15 cousins, we lost one in his 40's to that damn cancer and another to a heart attack in his late 50's.

Looks like rain for our S2000 gathering this weekend. At least it's a pizza party, not a cook out.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 3,739 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Just got back from Seattle yesterday. The smoke haze rom the Canadian wildfires was brutal.
Like a fog.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 5,356 Likes on 3,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Dave, hope you had a good time. Looks like a lovely area.
Pros:
MG ran great.
The weather was wonderful even late into the evening.
The lunch was wonderful - something called Pacific Cod Rubin and killer fries and a good pour!
The town was hopping and hobbling (mid-week seniors)
Tourist shops with lots of eye candy boats.
Good time.

Cons:
Made it 3 miles out of Saugatuck and the MG died.
Pulled into a farm and spent the next 2.5 hours trying to figure out what just happened.
Fuel: Check. Spark: what no spark! How can that be?
OMG. I was so thankful a guy that used to work on these cars in a shop 20 years ago stopped.
Swapped out the all-electronic Pertronix distributor and wires for the spare I carry - old Lucas and wires.
Spark: what no spark! How can that be?
Trouble light told us it must be the ignition coil, thanks to phone assistance from an MG repairs shop owner, and it was. Coil had lasted 20,000 miles.
Senior moment: I'm calling MGA friends who live an hour away to see if they had a coil.
Hell, shouldn't have had that second pour. I carry a spare coil! Just in a different spot from the rest of the parts.
Swapped the coil. Wire tied it to the oil cooler lines as it was too difficult to swap mounts.
Timed it using the 'old school' trouble light method and the hand crank (they came originally with the car just so you don't need a timing light).
I thought I would have to sleep with the farmer's daughter that night if not for the help I got. But then Donna might have run off with the great helper.
He was amazed at all the tools and parts I had. Over 40 years of driving these things you learn something.
Finally, on the road again.........hungry and tired but happy.
An hour wait in the first place we stopped to eat, on down the road, the grill had just closed, so after a drink it was - - we're just heading home hungry!
We would have ate more at lunch if we knew it was supposed to last for 12 hours.
250 miles and another story to tell. Travel in the MG is always an adventure.... we are going up North next week but this time with another MG owner.

Last edited by dlq04; 08-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 1,584 Likes on 836 Posts

The Prince of Darkness strikes again! Glad you're always prepared.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Wow! Great story Dave....you gotta love that MG to deal with all of that!

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?