New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 17 & 18 - S2000s at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Update from day 1?

I have to live vicariously through you guys!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

It went swimmingly Mark. As in we had rivers running in the paddock due to storms in the afternoon. Lost one session but all is good and everyone is having fun
Old 07-20-2017, 03:57 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I know an update is due. Just haven't had the time since I got back.

We had fun. Rico came for 1 day and seemed really impressed by Watkins Glen. He says he'll come back for 2 days next time. Shiv was blazing fast and I was running Novice pace in the advanced group. Mr. Osprey set some stellar laps on his new continental extreme performance tires proving what I always felt that he was being held back by the tires.

I uploaded some videos. Watch the one where I take Harry out and watch Shiv fly by me into Turn 2 and chase after a mustang. Harry and I enjoyed watching him drive. Will post videos on track day thread.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As always the Glen did not disappoint. Day 1 was a bit of a bust for me. The new knuckles somehow managed to toe out thr driver side front by 4 degrees which made for a very unstable car. I was able to get the front realigned to my spec and do the final session for the day. To my suprise when I came in after this session the passenger side wing endplate was missing. Turns out it had torn out of the wing along with all the mounting hardware. Dinner at the Grist Iron brewery was awesome! Outside watching the sunset over the mountainy scene discussing everything from dogs we would like to have, to LS swapping Aashish's brz, to how I was going to steal the Viper ACR in the parking lot. Was a very memorable dinner.

Day 2 went better with not a drop of rain and no mechanical failures (except wrecking a rear stud). I managed to get lap times down to 2:16. Seems like I was running pressures too low for the toyos. I also started blowing massive smoke in right handers, so its catch can time.

Overall we had a great time at the event. Mr Osprey also managed a personal best and I began to pester him to throw at least my RS3's on for a session
Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Also a hearty thank you to Mr Aashish for once again organizing a kickass event as well as shirts and mugs. Also congratulations on attaining instructor status with SCDA! I knew you would get there and I look forward to seeing you grow further in the instructor role!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You are being kind Shiv. Thank you

Here are some pics:

NSX guys show up to do parade laps for a kids charity

at the Grist Iron Brewery - the beer was cold and the food was hot. Mr. Osprey has his priorities right

Mr. Osprey played older brother and woke up early to make us sandwiches for lunch

Shiv writes up motivating messages

Sheltering in Harry's sweet new Civic Sports Touring while storms raged outside. I love his car

Jeff with Rico and his plus one

That is Rico's cool GPW AP2

Mr. Osprey laying down fast laps. Pic courtesy of track time photos via SCDA
Old 07-20-2017, 03:01 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

So it turns out you hand people your phone asking them to look up directions and here is what you find on your phone later

Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

And here is me with my student

Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Some more pics from the Watkins event:

With a quick beer slammed, I stuffed myself into the back of the most practical car that we brought to attend dinner at the Harbor. I must say, with Mr Osprey in front the back of the BRRRRZ wasn't too bad at all. I wouldn't want to go on a long trip back there, but for short treks it was just dandy.

This is my business face.

A quick pano before dinna.

Wing carnage. If you look at where the endplate used to be, it tore out the actual carbon fiber with recessed nuts that hold the endplate to the wing. APR basically told me to screw off based on costs I would incur to get it fixed. So time for this guy to learn to play with fiberglass
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Day 2 went better with not a drop of rain and no mechanical failures (except wrecking a rear stud). I managed to get lap times down to 2:16. Seems like I was running pressures too low for the toyos. I also started blowing massive smoke in right handers, so its catch can time.
Catch can is a common misconception, what you need is the rainh8r mod, ill send you the link

Quick Reply: July 17 & 18 - S2000s at Watkins Glen with SCDA